    my system is a pentium4 3200, 512mb memory ans radion 9200 se graphics card,
    surely this should be adequate do I need to adjust something ?

    Tony
    apk1, Dec 26, 2004

  2. apk1

    Thor Guest

    "apk1" <> wrote in message
    news:EZDzd.13254$...
    > Whilst running a demo of need for speed 2, at the start of the race where
    > there are 4 cars, the graphics seem very jerky, as if something can't
    > cope, my system is a pentium4 3200, 512mb memory ans radion 9200 se
    > graphics card, surely this should be adequate do I need to adjust
    > something ?

    it sounds like it's loading/caching the graphics. Some stuttering at the
    very beginning of some games is very common for this reason. Your vid card
    isn't exactly the greatest in the world but it shouldn't have any trouble
    running NFS 2. The only thing I might suggest is to make sure you haven't
    limited your swapfile size in any way, defragment your drive, and reduce any
    unnecessary background apps.
    Thor, Dec 26, 2004

  3. apk1

    The One Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "apk1" <> wrote in message
    >> Whilst running a demo of need for speed 2, at the start of the race where
    >> there are 4 cars, the graphics seem very jerky, as if something can't
    >> cope, my system is a pentium4 3200, 512mb memory ans radion 9200 se
    >> graphics card, surely this should be adequate do I need to adjust
    >> something ?

    > it sounds like it's loading/caching the graphics. Some stuttering at the
    > very beginning of some games is very common for this reason. Your vid card
    > isn't exactly the greatest in the world but it shouldn't have any trouble
    > running NFS 2. The only thing I might suggest is to make sure you haven't
    > limited your swapfile size in any way, defragment your drive, and reduce
    > any unnecessary background apps.

    Reduce screen resolution as well.
    The One, Dec 26, 2004
  4. apk1

    derek / nul Guest

    On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:07:16 GMT, "apk1" <> wrote:

    >Whilst running a demo of need for speed 2, at the start of the race where
    >there are 4 cars, the graphics seem very jerky, as if something can't cope,
    >my system is a pentium4 3200, 512mb memory ans radion 9200 se graphics card,
    >surely this should be adequate do I need to adjust something ?

    The 9200 is the weak link in your system.
    derek / nul, Dec 28, 2004
  5. apk1

    Thor Guest

    "derek / nul" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:07:16 GMT, "apk1" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Whilst running a demo of need for speed 2, at the start of the race where
    >>there are 4 cars, the graphics seem very jerky, as if something can't
    >>cope,
    >>my system is a pentium4 3200, 512mb memory ans radion 9200 se graphics
    >>card,
    >>surely this should be adequate do I need to adjust something ?

    > The 9200 is the weak link in your system.

    that may well be true, but NFS 2 is a relatively old game that the 9200
    should have no problems at all running very well. If the jerkiness is only
    at first, and eventually everything smooths out, it's not the fault of the
    graphics card IMHO, because if the card was inadequate, the low frame rate
    would persist for the duration of the game, as long as the graphic
    complexity remained consistent. IIRC, that game always had some jerkiness at
    first.
    Thor, Dec 29, 2004