Jerking cursor?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Grandpa Chuck, Feb 6, 2008.

  1. Often when we do not use our desktop computer for several hours and
    then attempt to use it the cursor jerks around on the screen when we
    move the mouse.

    The only way I have found to correct this is to hit the reset button
    on the computer.

    Does anyone have any idea why something like this happens?
    Is there a way to avoid it short of shutting the system down?
    If I put it in sleep mode, I have to restart the computer anyway.

    Thanks again friends.

    (My darned "caps lock" key got stuck again, but now has fixed itself,
    so now I can go back and put in the punctuation.)
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Please grant me:
    the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
    the courage to change the one that I can
    the wisdom to know that it is me
    Grandpa Chuck, Feb 6, 2008

  2. Grandpa Chuck

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 17:50:50 +0000, Grandpa Chuck wrote:

    > Often when we do not use our desktop computer for several hours and then
    > attempt to use it the cursor jerks around on the screen when we move the
    > mouse.
    >
    > The only way I have found to correct this is to hit the reset button on
    > the computer.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea why something like this happens? Is there a
    > way to avoid it short of shutting the system down? If I put it in sleep
    > mode, I have to restart the computer anyway.
    >
    > Thanks again friends.
    >
    > (My darned "caps lock" key got stuck again, but now has fixed itself, so
    > now I can go back and put in the punctuation.)

    You didn't mention what OS you're using, but never mind. Over the last
    few days I've had exactly the same symptoms. This morning I decided to
    change my mouse to ascertain whether it was a software or hardware
    problem. I switched off the PC and when I reached round the back of the
    tower to remove the mouse lead it more or less just fell out.

    Obviously over time the connector had somehow worked itself loose and
    none of the prongs was making a full contact with it's socket. I pushed
    the mouse connector back in, rebooted and now my cursor/mouse pointer is
    as well behaved as it should be.

    Bottom line- before doing anything else, make sure your mouse is properly
    plugged in.

    HTH
    Aardvark, Feb 6, 2008

  3. Grandpa Chuck

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Grandpa Chuck" wrote in message
    > Often when we do not use our desktop computer for several hours and
    > then attempt to use it the cursor jerks around on the screen when we
    > move the mouse.
    >
    > The only way I have found to correct this is to hit the reset button
    > on the computer.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea why something like this happens?
    > Is there a way to avoid it short of shutting the system down?
    > If I put it in sleep mode, I have to restart the computer anyway.

    Cordless mouse? If so, replaced the batteries yet? If cordless but
    rechargeable (no batteries to replace), how old is it? The
    non-replaceable batteries might not be retaining much of a charge
    anymore (i.e., reduced capacity).

    If cordless, have you tried pressing the reset button underneath the
    mouse and pressing the reset button on the receiver?

    Are you using the Windows-supplied standard mouse driver? Or did you
    install some software that came with or was downloaded from the
    manufacturer of the mouse? Before installing their software, did you
    return the Mouse applet's settings back to defaults (no snap-to
    option, acceleration at mid-point, no enhanced acceleration, etc.)?
    Some version of Logitech's mouse software will not reset the standard
    settings back to normal but those settings remain despite what you
    configure in their Logitech mouse applet. I ran into this when I had
    the snap-to option enabled for the standard mouse settings, installed
    their software, and could not disable snap-to until I uninstalled
    their software, disabled snap-to, and reinstalled their software
    whereupon the snap-to setting would get honored. This was a long time
    ago for Logitech's software so they may have changed from using an
    overlay manager or otherwise fixed that problem (it doesn't happen
    with the Logitech mice I've used in the last couple of years). Don't
    know what mouse software you are using, if you are using an old mouse
    with old software that you installed eons ago, or if you have even
    tried downloading their latest version of their mouse software.
    VanguardLH, Feb 6, 2008
  4. On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:26:59 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 17:50:50 +0000, Grandpa Chuck wrote:
    >
    >> Often when we do not use our desktop computer for several hours and then
    >> attempt to use it the cursor jerks around on the screen when we move the
    >> mouse.
    >>
    >> The only way I have found to correct this is to hit the reset button on
    >> the computer.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any idea why something like this happens? Is there a
    >> way to avoid it short of shutting the system down? If I put it in sleep
    >> mode, I have to restart the computer anyway.
    >>
    >> Thanks again friends.
    >>
    >> (My darned "caps lock" key got stuck again, but now has fixed itself, so
    >> now I can go back and put in the punctuation.)

    >You didn't mention what OS you're using, but never mind. Over the last
    >few days I've had exactly the same symptoms. This morning I decided to
    >change my mouse to ascertain whether it was a software or hardware
    >problem. I switched off the PC and when I reached round the back of the
    >tower to remove the mouse lead it more or less just fell out.
    >
    >Obviously over time the connector had somehow worked itself loose and
    >none of the prongs was making a full contact with it's socket. I pushed
    >the mouse connector back in, rebooted and now my cursor/mouse pointer is
    >as well behaved as it should be.
    >
    >Bottom line- before doing anything else, make sure your mouse is properly
    >plugged in.
    >
    >HTH

    I use a Microsoft cordless mouse and keyboard on a XP Home (or
    whatever you call it). system.
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Grandpa Chuck, Feb 6, 2008
  5. On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:46:10 -0600, "VanguardLH" <> wrote:

    >"Grandpa Chuck" wrote in message
    >> Often when we do not use our desktop computer for several hours and
    >> then attempt to use it the cursor jerks around on the screen when we
    >> move the mouse.
    >>
    >> The only way I have found to correct this is to hit the reset button
    >> on the computer.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any idea why something like this happens?
    >> Is there a way to avoid it short of shutting the system down?
    >> If I put it in sleep mode, I have to restart the computer anyway.

    >Cordless mouse? If so, replaced the batteries yet?

    I warns me ahead of time when I need to replace the battery in the
    mouse or in the keyboard.

    > If cordless but
    >rechargeable (no batteries to replace), how old is it?

    Probably 18 to 24 months.

    >The
    >non-replaceable batteries might not be retaining much of a charge
    >anymore (i.e., reduced capacity).
    >
    >If cordless, have you tried pressing the reset button underneath the
    >mouse and pressing the reset button on the receiver?

    Do you perhaps mean the tiny "connect" button?

    >Are you using the Windows-supplied standard mouse driver? Or did you
    >install some software that came with or was downloaded from the
    >manufacturer of the mouse?

    The keyboard and mouse are both "plug and play".

    > Before installing their software, did you
    >return the Mouse applet's settings back to defaults (no snap-to
    >option, acceleration at mid-point, no enhanced acceleration, etc.)?
    >Some version of Logitech's mouse software will not reset the standard
    >settings back to normal but those settings remain despite what you
    >configure in their Logitech mouse applet. I ran into this when I had
    >the snap-to option enabled for the standard mouse settings, installed
    >their software, and could not disable snap-to until I uninstalled
    >their software, disabled snap-to, and reinstalled their software
    >whereupon the snap-to setting would get honored. This was a long time
    >ago for Logitech's software so they may have changed from using an
    >overlay manager or otherwise fixed that problem (it doesn't happen
    >with the Logitech mice I've used in the last couple of years). Don't
    >know what mouse software you are using, if you are using an old mouse
    >with old software that you installed eons ago, or if you have even
    >tried downloading their latest version of their mouse software.

    Thank you. I had to give up on my Logitech Rollerball years ago
    because it caused arthritis or carpal tunnel in my thumb.
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Grandpa Chuck, Feb 6, 2008
  6. Grandpa Chuck

    > "VanguardLH" wrote:
    >
    >>"Grandpa Chuck" wrote ...
    >>>
    >>> Often when we do not use our desktop computer for several hours
    >>> and
    >>> then attempt to use it the cursor jerks around on the screen when
    >>> we
    >>> move the mouse.
    >>>
    >>> The only way I have found to correct this is to hit the reset
    >>> button
    >>> on the computer.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any idea why something like this happens?
    >>> Is there a way to avoid it short of shutting the system down?
    >>> If I put it in sleep mode, I have to restart the computer anyway.

    >> Cordless mouse? If so, replaced the batteries yet?

    > I warns me ahead of time when I need to replace the battery in the
    > mouse or in the keyboard.

    So is the mouse acting jerky LONG before the batteries have been
    depleted, like just after you replaced them with fresh batteries?

    >> If cordless but
    >>rechargeable (no batteries to replace), how old is it?

    > Probably 18 to 24 months.

    Are you replacing the batteries with rechargeable batteries (which can
    only recharged a limited number of times)? Or are you installing
    fresh alkaline batteries?

    So far, we have no information that says the mouse did not always
    behave this way. Is this a new problem? Or has it been this way ever
    since you got that cordless mouse?

    It sounds like the mouse goes into its low-power sleep mode.
    Thereafter it doesn't behave correctly when woke up. That could be a
    sync problem (where you have to reset the mouse and receiver so they
    use the same frequency or scheme to communicate) or you never
    installed the proper driver for this particular mouse.

    >>If cordless, have you tried pressing the reset button underneath the
    >>mouse and pressing the reset button on the receiver?

    > Do you perhaps mean the tiny "connect" button?

    Since you never identified WHICH brand and model of mouse, no one that
    uses the same one can identify by whatever name the manufacturer gave
    that function. Reset, connect, or whatever. Have you used it yet?

    >>Are you using the Windows-supplied standard mouse driver? Or did
    >>you
    >>install some software that came with or was downloaded from the
    >>manufacturer of the mouse?

    > The keyboard and mouse are both "plug and play".

    PnP is a technology. Not a brand and model. Not whether you are
    using the Windows-supplied drivers or you installed the manufacturer's
    drivers. If what you meant to say is that you never installed the
    drivers yourself then you are using the drivers that came included in
    the Windows distribution.

    Since you are using a cordless mouse (which is NOT the same as the
    corded balled mouse driver included in Windows), and since it appears
    the mouse has a problem waking from its low-power sleep mode, then go
    get the drivers from the manufacturer of that cordless mouse to see if
    it helps.

    In your other reply, you mention that it is a Microsoft cordless
    mouse. So did you ever install their Intellipoint software/driver (or
    whatever is the appropriate software for whatever you really have)?
    It is NOT included in Windows.
    VanguardLH, Feb 7, 2008
  7. On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 01:04:55 -0600, "VanguardLH" <> wrote:

    >"Grandpa Chuck" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "VanguardLH" wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Grandpa Chuck" wrote ...

    >>> Cordless mouse? If so, replaced the batteries yet?

    >> I warns me ahead of time when I need to replace the battery in the
    >> mouse or in the keyboard.

    >So is the mouse acting jerky LONG before the batteries have been
    >depleted, like just after you replaced them with fresh batteries?

    No. It only happens after leaving the computer idle for several hours
    rather than shutting it down or putting it in sleep mode.

    >>> If cordless but
    >>>rechargeable (no batteries to replace), how old is it?

    >> Probably 18 to 24 months.

    >Are you replacing the batteries with rechargeable batteries (which can
    >only recharged a limited number of times)? Or are you installing
    >fresh alkaline batteries?

    Only fresh alkaline batteries.

    >So far, we have no information that says the mouse did not always
    >behave this way. Is this a new problem? Or has it been this way ever
    >since you got that cordless mouse?

    Not always. I don't think it likes the cold nights when it isn't being
    used.

    >It sounds like the mouse goes into its low-power sleep mode.
    >Thereafter it doesn't behave correctly when woke up. That could be a
    >sync problem (where you have to reset the mouse and receiver so they
    >use the same frequency or scheme to communicate) or you never
    >installed the proper driver for this particular mouse.

    I installed the drivers that came with the cordless mouse and keyboard
    in the same package.

    >>>If cordless, have you tried pressing the reset button underneath the
    >>>mouse and pressing the reset button on the receiver?

    >> Do you perhaps mean the tiny "connect" button?

    >Since you never identified WHICH brand and model of mouse, no one that
    >uses the same one can identify by whatever name the manufacturer gave
    >that function. Reset, connect, or whatever. Have you used it yet?

    Sorry. It is a Microsoft model 1025 Standard Cordless Mouse.

    >>>Are you using the Windows-supplied standard mouse driver? Or did
    >>>you
    >>>install some software that came with or was downloaded from the
    >>>manufacturer of the mouse?

    >> The keyboard and mouse are both "plug and play".

    >PnP is a technology. Not a brand and model. Not whether you are
    >using the Windows-supplied drivers or you installed the manufacturer's
    >drivers. If what you meant to say is that you never installed the
    >drivers yourself then you are using the drivers that came included in
    >the Windows distribution.
    >
    >Since you are using a cordless mouse (which is NOT the same as the
    >corded balled mouse driver included in Windows), and since it appears
    >the mouse has a problem waking from its low-power sleep mode, then go
    >get the drivers from the manufacturer of that cordless mouse to see if
    >it helps.
    >
    >In your other reply, you mention that it is a Microsoft cordless
    >mouse. So did you ever install their Intellipoint software/driver (or
    >whatever is the appropriate software for whatever you really have)?
    >It is NOT included in Windows.

    I installed what was in the carton with the cordless keyboard,
    cordless mouse and cordless receiver.

    Really, it is just kind of a nuisance since if I restart the computer
    it works just fine.
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Grandpa Chuck, Feb 8, 2008
  8. Grandpa Chuck

    > No. It only happens after leaving the computer idle for several
    > hours
    > rather than shutting it down or putting it in sleep mode.

    The sleep mode of a cordless mouse is independent of the power-saving
    mode of the computer. The computer might've just gone into Standby
    mode or even into Hibernation mode but the mouse might take another 1
    to 5 minutes before it goes into low-power mode and perhaps 30 minutes
    before going into even the lowest-power sleep mode.

    > Not always. I don't think it likes the cold nights when it isn't
    > being
    > used.

    Would you like your wife grabbing your "mouse" with cold hands? ;->

    > I installed what was in the carton with the cordless keyboard,
    > cordless mouse and cordless receiver.

    Check if the version of the Intellipoint (or whatever Microsoft lists
    as appropriate for your mouse+keyboard combo) is later than what you
    have installed. The content of the install CD was compiled years ago
    and the CD was probably cut a year ago, or more. You might want to
    get the LATEST version of their software. If there is a newer
    version, it might fix this problem.

    You said this product was installed 1-1/2, or more, years ago. The CD
    in the package was probably already a year old. The compilation of
    files on that CD was probably determined half a year before that. So
    what you installed way back when was probably already 2 years old and
    now another 2 years have elapsed since then so you are using a 4-year
    old version of their software. Time to check if they have a newer
    version.

    > Really, it is just kind of a nuisance since if I restart the
    > computer
    > it works just fine.

    So maybe you have other software that causes the problem. Have you
    tried rebooting into Safe Mode? The drivers will still get loaded but
    most other startup software will not.
    VanguardLH, Feb 8, 2008
  9. On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 21:22:21 -0600, "VanguardLH" <> wrote:

    >"Grandpa Chuck" wrote in message
    >>
    >> No. It only happens after leaving the computer idle for several
    >> hours
    >> rather than shutting it down or putting it in sleep mode.

    >The sleep mode of a cordless mouse is independent of the power-saving
    >mode of the computer. The computer might've just gone into Standby
    >mode or even into Hibernation mode but the mouse might take another 1
    >to 5 minutes before it goes into low-power mode and perhaps 30 minutes
    >before going into even the lowest-power sleep mode.
    >
    >> Not always. I don't think it likes the cold nights when it isn't
    >> being
    >> used.

    >Would you like your wife grabbing your "mouse" with cold hands? ;->

    Hm, sometimes because then her hands and my mouse could warm up
    together. ;-)

    >> I installed what was in the carton with the cordless keyboard,
    >> cordless mouse and cordless receiver.

    >Check if the version of the Intellipoint (or whatever Microsoft lists
    >as appropriate for your mouse+keyboard combo) is later than what you
    >have installed. The content of the install CD was compiled years ago
    >and the CD was probably cut a year ago, or more. You might want to
    >get the LATEST version of their software. If there is a newer
    >version, it might fix this problem.
    >
    >You said this product was installed 1-1/2, or more, years ago. The CD
    >in the package was probably already a year old. The compilation of
    >files on that CD was probably determined half a year before that. So
    >what you installed way back when was probably already 2 years old and
    >now another 2 years have elapsed since then so you are using a 4-year
    >old version of their software. Time to check if they have a newer
    >version.

    Will do. Thank you.

    >> Really, it is just kind of a nuisance since if I restart the
    >> computer
    >> it works just fine.

    >So maybe you have other software that causes the problem. Have you
    >tried rebooting into Safe Mode? The drivers will still get loaded but
    >most other startup software will not.

    Not for quite some time. Another idea to try.
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Grandpa Chuck, Feb 8, 2008