    I recently received an email from a freind saying that this file was a virus
    and I should remove it totally from my system silly me i did?? does anyone
    know if it was I heard that it is a vital part of the system?

    GUZZI-, Nov 4, 2003

  2. GUZZI-

    Creative Guest

    Disregard it....it's a well-known hoax. FYI, while not critical to the
    operating system, jdbgmgr.exe provides functionally for java applets.

    Creative, Nov 4, 2003

  3. GUZZI-

    Jethro Guest

    GUZZI- wrote:

    > I recently received an email from a freind saying that this file was a virus
    > and I should remove it totally from my system silly me i did?? does anyone
    > know if it was I heard that it is a vital part of the system?

    Just be sure you don't delete any POTATOES

    cuz

    I LOVE POTATOES. :)

    adios amigos

    Jethro, Nov 4, 2003
  4. GUZZI-

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 22:54:37 -0600, Creative wrote:

    >Disregard it....it's a well-known hoax. FYI, while not critical to the
    >operating system, jdbgmgr.exe provides functionally for java applets.

    The 'provides functionally for java applets' is not quite correct.

    I thought the debug registrar was only used if one has MS VisualJ++ 1.1
    installed i.e. the development tool. Used only by developers.

    Better yet here, after a quick www.google.com , is the reference
    article
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q322993

    >"GUZZI-" <> wrote in message
    >> I recently received an email from a freind saying that this file was a

    >virus
    >> and I should remove it totally from my system silly me i did?? does anyone
    >> know if it was I heard that it is a vital part of the system?

    Me

    why?, Nov 4, 2003
  5. GUZZI-

    nemo Guest

    GUZZI-,

    Don't panic it's jdbgmgr.exe is not an important system file. The
    following is an extract from the Symantec site:

    "The Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java (Jdbgmgr.exe) is only used
    by Microsoft Visual J++ 1.1 developers.

    If you follow the e-mail message instructions and delete this file,
    you do not have to recover it unless you use Microsoft Visual J++ 1.1
    to develop Java programs on Windows XP, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98
    Second Edition, Windows 98, or Windows 95."

    If you need to restore this file, follow the instructions in this
    link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q322993

    For more info on the hoax goto:
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

    Regards

    nemo

    nemo, Nov 4, 2003
  6. GUZZI-

    Petit Alexi Guest

    "GUZZI-" <> wrote in

    > I recently received an email from a freind saying that this file was a
    > virus

    What did your anti-virus software say?

    You can get free anti virus software from:-
    <http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php>

    > and I should remove it totally from my system silly me i did??

    Tell your freind to stop being so silly. Tell your freind that
    distributing chain email is against the Terms of Service / Acceptable Use
    Policy of most ISPs.

    > does anyone know if it was I heard that it is a vital part of the
    > system?

    It wasn't a vital part of the system.

    For anyone wondering why the Java debug manager is a teddy bear:-
    <http://www.cs.utah.edu/~elb/folklore/Easter-Eggs>

    "a Teddy bear...apparently the logo of bugs@microsoft

    The Bear is a Microsoft euphemism for someone who comes along and bonks
    programmers for introducing bugs into test code(as in Smokey the Bear, who
    crushes your butts). The concept of the Bear is so much a part of debugging
    at Microsoft that certain, undcoumented functions used for testing Windows
    components such as USER.EXE are named things like Bear351."

    Petit Alexi, Nov 4, 2003