Jazz Waterproof 1.3 M camera -- TOTAL CRAP!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by taskerov@gmail.com, Dec 31, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Stay away from these cameras sold all over the Internet for dirt-cheap
    prices and advertised as 1.3 megapixel!

    The advertisement is false because the true resolution of the camera's
    CMOS sensor is VGA (640x480), and the additional resolution comes from
    software "enhancement" that is either built into the camera itself or
    (more likely) into the clunky photo software that comes with it.
    Needless to say, the quality of such "enhanced" pictures is just awful.

    The camera doesn't register with Windows as a removable flash drive
    like most others do. Instead you have to install the crappy software
    that comes with the camera in order to copy pictures to your hard
    drive. So forget about plugging your camera into any public-access
    computer in an Internet cafe at your tropical-paradise resort to
    quickly beam up to your online photo album your pictures of exotic fish
    and coral reef to make room for more shots. Not gonna happen! You
    will be stuck with the measly 26 pictures that the camera's pathetic
    (and non-expandable) 8 MB of memory can store.

    The geniuses who designed this camera decided to place the flash right
    next to the row of bumps that is supposed to serve as the grip, so when
    you're holding it by that grip your fingers completely or partially
    obscure the flash. Of course you won't know it until you open the
    pictures on your computer because the camera lacks a preview screen.

    The camera is turned on and off with the same button on the back that
    is used to change its modes (resolution, compression, flash, etc.). In
    order to get to the desired mode you have to repeatedly press the
    button until you see the mode's code appear on the two-letter (!) LCD
    panel and then press the shutter button to change it. E.g. to turn on
    the flash you have to repeatedly press the button 6-7 times to get to
    the code corresponding to the flash mode. And you are expected by the
    camera manufacturer to remember by heart what about a dozen of
    different two-letter codes stand for.

    Also, very annoyingly the camera turns itself off automatically to
    conserve battery power after just 30 seconds of inactivity. So forget
    about carefully composing your underwater shots or trying to get your
    kids to pose for a beach photo in a desired formation -- by the time
    you get the desired composition the camera will have shut itself down,
    resetting all its modes, including the flash setting.

    And last but not least, the unit that I got doesn't record video as it
    should according to the manual.
    , Dec 31, 2006

  2. Jim Townsend Guest

    wrote:

    > Stay away from these cameras sold all over the Internet for dirt-cheap
    > prices and advertised as 1.3 megapixel!

    What do you really expect of a $25.00 camera :)
    Jim Townsend, Dec 31, 2006

  3. Cgiorgio Guest

    What did you expect, professional equipment?

    Cgiorgio, Dec 31, 2006
  4. Pete D Guest

    Re: Jazz Waterproof 1.3 M camera -- WATERPROOF for $25, TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!

    Pete D, Dec 31, 2006