javascript:void(0);

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mellowed, Jul 1, 2005.

  1. Mellowed

    Mellowed Guest

    Somewhere in my system I am blocking any javascript that is embedded in
    a web page where it returns the Subject notation. With the one
    exception, the system runs smooth. Here is the system description:

    The system is a little ancient (PII-400), but so is its owner. Both seem
    slow but functional.

    Win ME
    IE 6 (In IE options only 'Java logging enabled' is not checked)
    Java (SUN) installed
    OE 6
    Sygate FW
    AVG 7
    Adsubtract Pro (Java Script and Applets not restricted)
    Spyware Blaster loaded
    Spybot S&D immune installed
    HOSTS ads redirect active

    I can't think of anything else relevant to describe this system. The
    problem is not new. I'm just now requesting assistance.

    Troubleshooting ideas are welcome

    Mellowed, Jul 1, 2005

  2. Mellowed

    WormWood Guest

    "Mellowed" <> wrote in message

    > Somewhere in my system I am blocking any javascript that is embedded
    > in
    > a web page where it returns the Subject notation. With the one
    > exception, the system runs smooth. Here is the system description:
    >
    > The system is a little ancient (PII-400), but so is its owner. Both
    > seem
    > slow but functional.
    >
    > Win ME
    > IE 6 (In IE options only 'Java logging enabled' is not checked)
    > Java (SUN) installed
    > OE 6
    > Sygate FW
    > AVG 7
    > Adsubtract Pro (Java Script and Applets not restricted)
    > Spyware Blaster loaded
    > Spybot S&D immune installed
    > HOSTS ads redirect active
    >
    > I can't think of anything else relevant to describe this system. The
    > problem is not new. I'm just now requesting assistance.
    >
    > Troubleshooting ideas are welcome

    You mean it displays 'javascript:void(0);' at the bottom of the screen
    in the status area?
    That's normal if the link you click to elicit the java phrase does not
    have an onmouseover event.
    Very likely there is an onclick() event that causes an error.
    Webmaster's faulty coding. javascript:void(0); is not an error code. As
    the javascript is part of a website, then you will not be able to fix
    the error. The only thing you can do, which probably won't be easy, is
    to email the webmaster and tell him there is a problem with the site. It
    would also help if you included what browser you are using, along with
    it's version etc.

    Also, try this:
    Check the settings for script debugging by doing this;
    From top Menu in IE;
    tools -> internet options
    click advanced tab
    tick the following (you may not have the middle option)
    Disable Script Debugging (Internet Explorer)
    Disable Script Debugging (Other)

    Untick:
    Display a notification about every script error.

    WormWood, Jul 1, 2005

  3. Mellowed

    Plato Guest

    Mellowed wrote:

    > The system is a little ancient (PII-400), but so is its owner. Both seem
    > slow but functional.

    The amount of ram you have and hard drive speed is more of an issue
    today then a PII400.

    One can pretty much double the speed of a PII400 by using 256 or 512 ram
    and using a 7,200 RPM hard drive.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 1, 2005
  4. Mellowed

    Mellowed Guest

    Within IE, Disable Script Debugging was checked and the 'Display a
    notification of every script error was unchecked.

    Based upon the response it seems that the problem might not be with my
    setup, which was my main concern.

    I appreciate your time and assistance.

    "WormWood" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "Mellowed" <> wrote in message
    : news:%H2xe.14368$...
    : >
[...]
    : From top Menu in IE;

    Mellowed, Jul 1, 2005
  5. Mellowed

    Mellowed Guest

    I think that I have milked all the speed I can get. My chipset will
    only take 384mb Ram and that is what I'm using. I also have a 7200 HD.

    Slow was kind of a relative term to today's products. This computer
    does just fine for my requirements. I do have a flaky Motherboard.
    Cold solder joint I believe. There will be a time that it will no
    longer boot. I keep critical files backed up and my laptop handy.

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    : Mellowed wrote:
    : >
    : > The system is a little ancient (PII-400), but so is its owner. Both
    seem
    : > slow but functional.
    :
    : The amount of ram you have and hard drive speed is more of an issue
    : today then a PII400.
    :
    : One can pretty much double the speed of a PII400 by using 256 or 512
    ram
    : and using a 7,200 RPM hard drive.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : --
    : http://www.bootdisk.com/
    :
    :

    Mellowed, Jul 1, 2005
  6. Mellowed

    Plato Guest

    Mellowed wrote:

    > I think that I have milked all the speed I can get. My chipset will
    > only take 384mb Ram and that is what I'm using. I also have a 7200 HD.

    Seems so.

    Plato, Jul 2, 2005
  7. Mellowed

    Suzieque