JavaScript does not work in Firefox

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by minnesotti, Jul 18, 2006.

  1. minnesotti

    minnesotti Guest

    Hi there,

    I subscribed to a photographic pictures-hosting website which is heavy
    on JavaScript. My preferred latest browser Mozilla Firefox does not
    work with it -- no pictures are displayed and no buttons react to
    clicking. The website's helpdesk says it should work with Firefox, and
    could not offer any more advices. The JavaScript Console shows that
    there are numerous errors occuring. It looks like the web browser does
    not recognise JavaScript code. When viewing the website with Internet
    Explorer, JavaScript code works al'right and the website works. I am
    using ZoneAlarm Pro as a firewall... I heard it might clip the
    JavaScript code. When I turned ZAPro off, the website still was not
    viewable. I viewed the website through anonymizer which re-wrote
    JavaScript code... and surprise-surprise... I could view the
    picture-hosting website. I would hypothesize that the anonymizer
    re-writes the JavaScript code to the old code understandable by Firefox
    (however, the website helpdesk claims that their website works with
    latest Firefox, and I could not find any other computer with Firefox to
    check if the problem is only with my computer). Or, there might still
    be something running on my computer which clips the JavaScript code
    like ZAPro which probably still runs even after turning it off. Help me
    please, with the suggestion of possible causes. Thanks.

    minnesotti, Jul 18, 2006

  2. minnesotti

    Els Guest

    minnesotti wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I subscribed to a photographic pictures-hosting website which is heavy
    > on JavaScript. My preferred latest browser Mozilla Firefox does not
    > work with it -- no pictures are displayed and no buttons react to
    > clicking. The website's helpdesk says it should work with Firefox, and

    [snip]

    It may help if you give the URL, so that people can check what
    problems there are.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Jul 18, 2006

  3. minnesotti

    Els Guest

    Els, Jul 18, 2006
  4. minnesotti

    minnesotti Guest

    Els wrote:
    > minnesotti wrote:
    >
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I subscribed to a photographic pictures-hosting website which is heavy
    > > on JavaScript. My preferred latest browser Mozilla Firefox does not
    > > work with it -- no pictures are displayed and no buttons react to
    > > clicking. The website's helpdesk says it should work with Firefox, and

    > [snip]
    >
    > It may help if you give the URL, so that people can check what
    > problems there are.

    The picture-hosting website is http://www.zenfolio.com/ . When I go
    there, no button work and no images are displayed. Oh, I did not
    mention in the previous posting that I checked the "JavaScript Enable"
    box in the Options menu. The JavaScript Console gives the error
    messages: "Error: event is not defined", "Error: dom.attachEvent is not
    a function" and "Error: this.domEvent has no properties". Thanks.

    minnesotti, Jul 18, 2006
  5. minnesotti

    minnesotti Guest

    minnesotti, Jul 18, 2006
  6. minnesotti

    Els Guest

    minnesotti wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >> minnesotti wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi there,
    >>>
    >>> I subscribed to a photographic pictures-hosting website which is heavy
    >>> on JavaScript. My preferred latest browser Mozilla Firefox does not
    >>> work with it -- no pictures are displayed and no buttons react to
    >>> clicking. The website's helpdesk says it should work with Firefox, and

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> It may help if you give the URL, so that people can check what
    >> problems there are.

    > The picture-hosting website is http://www.zenfolio.com/ . When I go
    > there, no button work and no images are displayed. Oh, I did not
    > mention in the previous posting that I checked the "JavaScript Enable"
    > box in the Options menu. The JavaScript Console gives the error
    > messages: "Error: event is not defined", "Error: dom.attachEvent is not
    > a function" and "Error: this.domEvent has no properties". Thanks.

    When I go there, everything is working, and the JavaScript console
    gives no errors, warnings or anything.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Jul 18, 2006
  7. minnesotti

    Els Guest

    Els, Jul 18, 2006
  8. minnesotti

    SteveG Guest

    minnesotti wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I subscribed to a photographic pictures-hosting website which is heavy
    > on JavaScript. My preferred latest browser Mozilla Firefox does not
    > work with it -- no pictures are displayed and no buttons react to
    > clicking. The website's helpdesk says it should work with Firefox, and
    > could not offer any more advices. The JavaScript Console shows that
    > there are numerous errors occuring. It looks like the web browser does
    > not recognise JavaScript code. When viewing the website with Internet
    > Explorer, JavaScript code works al'right and the website works. I am
    > using ZoneAlarm Pro as a firewall... I heard it might clip the
    > JavaScript code. When I turned ZAPro off, the website still was not
    > viewable. I viewed the website through anonymizer which re-wrote
    > JavaScript code... and surprise-surprise... I could view the
    > picture-hosting website. I would hypothesize that the anonymizer
    > re-writes the JavaScript code to the old code understandable by Firefox
    > (however, the website helpdesk claims that their website works with
    > latest Firefox, and I could not find any other computer with Firefox to
    > check if the problem is only with my computer). Or, there might still
    > be something running on my computer which clips the JavaScript code
    > like ZAPro which probably still runs even after turning it off. Help me
    > please, with the suggestion of possible causes. Thanks.
    >
    > ..

    Hi minnesota, I've just looked at the URL you are talking about and
    everything works fine for me. I too have ZA as a firewall (although I
    use the Internet Suite rather than Pro) so I don't think that's your
    problem.

    Have you enabled Java and Javascript in Firefox? You can find the
    setting in tools/options/content.

    HTH

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

    SteveG, Jul 18, 2006
  9. minnesotti

    SteveG Guest

    SteveG, Jul 18, 2006
  10. minnesotti

    minnesotti Guest

    SteveG wrote:
    > minnesotti wrote:
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I subscribed to a photographic pictures-hosting website which is heavy
    > > on JavaScript. My preferred latest browser Mozilla Firefox does not
    > > work with it -- no pictures are displayed and no buttons react to
    > > clicking. The website's helpdesk says it should work with Firefox, and
    > > could not offer any more advices. The JavaScript Console shows that
    > > there are numerous errors occuring. It looks like the web browser does
    > > not recognise JavaScript code. When viewing the website with Internet
    > > Explorer, JavaScript code works al'right and the website works. I am
    > > using ZoneAlarm Pro as a firewall... I heard it might clip the
    > > JavaScript code. When I turned ZAPro off, the website still was not
    > > viewable. I viewed the website through anonymizer which re-wrote
    > > JavaScript code... and surprise-surprise... I could view the
    > > picture-hosting website. I would hypothesize that the anonymizer
    > > re-writes the JavaScript code to the old code understandable by Firefox
    > > (however, the website helpdesk claims that their website works with
    > > latest Firefox, and I could not find any other computer with Firefox to
    > > check if the problem is only with my computer). Or, there might still
    > > be something running on my computer which clips the JavaScript code
    > > like ZAPro which probably still runs even after turning it off. Help me
    > > please, with the suggestion of possible causes. Thanks.
    > >
    > > ..
    > >

    > Hi minnesota, I've just looked at the URL you are talking about and
    > everything works fine for me. I too have ZA as a firewall (although I
    > use the Internet Suite rather than Pro) so I don't think that's your
    > problem.
    >
    > Have you enabled Java and Javascript in Firefox? You can find the
    > setting in tools/options/content.

    Hi Els and SteveG,

    I have enabled Java and JavaScript (and everything else) in Firefox. At
    some stage, I have installed Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.3 on my
    computer to run a particular program, and that particular website
    cannot run with JavaScript from JRE1.3. However, when I am checking my
    web browser with the http://www.cyscape.com/showbrow.aspx?bhcp=1 , it
    says that my browser is using Sun's Java vesion 1.4.2 which is
    acceptable for the picture-hosting website. I tried to uninstall Sun's
    JRE 1.3 (and left untouched JRE 1.4.2), but it gives no effect.

    I went to the "Control Panel" on my MS Windows XP SP1, and saw there
    "Java Plug-in" both from MS ("Virtual Machine") and from Sun. I clicked
    on Sun's (?) "Java Plug-in" and saw that the box for only "Internet
    Explorer" box is checked to make it using the Java Plug-in. I checked
    the box next to "Mozilla" to nake it using the Java Plug-in, but the
    window popped up saying that the computer was "Unable to change browser
    settings". I made a search on the Internet to learn how to manage this
    problem. This indeed was a common problem, but no cure was offered.

    This was when I wrote to this Usenet group.

    minnesotti, Jul 18, 2006
  11. minnesotti

    minnesotti Guest

    minnesotti, Jul 18, 2006
  12. minnesotti

    PeterMcC Guest

    minnesotti wrote in
    <>

    > Els wrote:
    >> minnesotti wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi there,
    >>>
    >>> I subscribed to a photographic pictures-hosting website which is
    >>> heavy on JavaScript. My preferred latest browser Mozilla Firefox
    >>> does not work with it -- no pictures are displayed and no buttons
    >>> react to clicking. The website's helpdesk says it should work with
    >>> Firefox, and

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> It may help if you give the URL, so that people can check what
    >> problems there are.

    > The picture-hosting website is http://www.zenfolio.com/ . When I go
    > there, no button work and no images are displayed. Oh, I did not
    > mention in the previous posting that I checked the "JavaScript Enable"
    > box in the Options menu. The JavaScript Console gives the error
    > messages: "Error: event is not defined", "Error: dom.attachEvent is
    > not a function" and "Error: this.domEvent has no properties". Thanks.

    No problems here - Firefox/1.5.0.4 with ZoneAlarm

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Jul 18, 2006
  13. minnesotti

    PeterMcC Guest

    minnesotti wrote in
    <>

    PeterMcC, Jul 18, 2006
  14. "minnesotti" <> writes:

    > The picture-hosting website is http://www.zenfolio.com/ .

    > The JavaScript Console gives the error
    > messages: "Error: event is not defined", "Error: dom.attachEvent is not
    > a function" and "Error: this.domEvent has no properties". Thanks.

    "attachEvent" is an IE specific method, so it's unsurprising that it
    doesn't work in Firefox. However, on a properly coded page, that code
    should never be executed by Firefox anyway, so I'd say it's a case
    of bad programming.

    Are your Firefox by any chance identifying itself as IE? In that case,
    it just shows why browser detection is bad.

    Either the site is IE specific (and their support is clueless or
    lying) or it's just badly coded and thinks you are using IE for some
    reason.

    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -

    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Jul 18, 2006

    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Jul 18, 2006
  16. minnesotti

    Andy Dingley Guest

    minnesotti wrote:

    > that particular website
    > cannot run with JavaScript from JRE1.3.

    Learn the difference between Java and JavaScript.

    I suspect your browser is set to pretend to be IE, and the site's
    browser detection code is too stupid to know the real browser you're
    using.

    Andy Dingley, Jul 18, 2006
  17. minnesotti

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Andy Dingley, Jul 18, 2006
  18. minnesotti

    JDS Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 03:53:06 -0700, minnesotti wrote:

    > The picture-hosting website is http://www.zenfolio.com/ .

    Works for me. And I am using FF on Linux

    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060608
    Ubuntu/dapper-security Firefox/1.5.0.4

    --
    JDS

    JDS, Jul 18, 2006
  19. minnesotti

    JDS, Jul 18, 2006
  20. minnesotti

    minnesotti Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:
    > minnesotti wrote:
    >
    > > that particular website
    > > cannot run with JavaScript from JRE1.3.

    > Learn the difference between Java and JavaScript.
    >
    > I suspect your browser is set to pretend to be IE, and the site's
    > browser detection code is too stupid to know the real browser you're
    > using.

    I used to write little programs in JavaScript many years ago, so I know
    the difference. I checked the web browser via the website which I
    mentioned above, and it says that I have Firefox. It seems al'right at
    this end.

    Hmm... after a week of twisting, I just twisted something in ZA Pro,
    and the picture-hosting website loaded into my Firefox browser. The
    JavaScript Console does not complain anymore that there are errors.
    However... still, there are some problems. If I go to the pictures made
    by the photographers, the pictures cannot download into the browser.
    Perhaps, I should give it up.

    minnesotti, Jul 18, 2006