Javascript/browser? very slow on my computer!!

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Albert Grennock, Sep 20, 2005.

  1. Hi, Hope this is the right forum to ask in.

    Anyway in IE I go to this site and I click on computing on the left hand
    menu and it takes from about 6 to 15 seconds to open the submenu.
    I then click on "desktop PC's" and it takes 14 seconds to open that menu.
    (normally about 14 seconds for the first menu, I guess I just 'got lucky'
    last time when it opened in a *mere* 6 seconds.

    However I then had the bright idea of trying a different browser, Mozilla
    Firefox and I got much better results. It took only about 2-3 seconds to
    open
    each menu, not lightening fast I admit but atleast useable unlike the
    unbearable
    slow Internet Explorer operation.

    Actually futher investigation reveals it may not just java script or the
    bits
    which I think are javascript which runs slow (I onlly though it was
    javescript
    because it said 'javascript void()' or similar in the bottom barof the
    browser
    which indicates what it is doing so that maybe a red herring, it now seems
    IE may just be slower at eveything.
    For example
    Clicking on 'specification' or 'key features' has similar 15 second against
    2-3 seconds in the respective browsers.

    http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...ku=383526&category_oid=-20732&fm=19&sm=5&tm=1

    Then again I tried another slow page in IE, which turned out to be miles
    slower
    in Firefox, so I am rather confused!!

    http://home.skysports.com/optastats.asp?clid=1&clubname=Manchester United&cpid=8

    Yep that page is painfully slow in Firefox and also the graphics are a bit
    screwed up,
    it also reloads the page unnecessarilly.

    Help!!!!!!!!

    Just to add to the confussion I have the full google toolbar on IE but just
    a small google
    serachbox on Firefox. (wondered if it might be related to that but probably
    another read herring.
    My computer is pretty old, Cyrix MII 300, 128meg ram IE 6.0, Firefox 1.0.4

    So its a pretty simple problem really ;O) no doubt you wise owls can sort it
    out ;;O)
    Albert Grennock, Sep 20, 2005

  2. Albert Grennock

    Moz Champion Guest

    Albert Grennock wrote:
    > Hi, Hope this is the right forum to ask in.
    >
    > Anyway in IE I go to this site and I click on computing on the left hand
    > menu and it takes from about 6 to 15 seconds to open the submenu.
    > I then click on "desktop PC's" and it takes 14 seconds to open that menu.
    > (normally about 14 seconds for the first menu, I guess I just 'got lucky'
    > last time when it opened in a *mere* 6 seconds.
    >
    > However I then had the bright idea of trying a different browser, Mozilla
    > Firefox and I got much better results. It took only about 2-3 seconds to
    > open
    > each menu, not lightening fast I admit but atleast useable unlike the
    > unbearable
    > slow Internet Explorer operation.
    >
    > Actually futher investigation reveals it may not just java script or the
    > bits
    > which I think are javascript which runs slow (I onlly though it was
    > javescript
    > because it said 'javascript void()' or similar in the bottom barof the
    > browser
    > which indicates what it is doing so that maybe a red herring, it now seems
    > IE may just be slower at eveything.
    > For example
    > Clicking on 'specification' or 'key features' has similar 15 second against
    > 2-3 seconds in the respective browsers.
    >
    > http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...ku=383526&category_oid=-20732&fm=19&sm=5&tm=1
    >
    > Then again I tried another slow page in IE, which turned out to be miles
    > slower
    > in Firefox, so I am rather confused!!
    >
    > http://home.skysports.com/optastats.asp?clid=1&clubname=Manchester United&cpid=8
    >
    > Yep that page is painfully slow in Firefox and also the graphics are a bit
    > screwed up,
    > it also reloads the page unnecessarilly.
    >
    > Help!!!!!!!!
    >
    > Just to add to the confussion I have the full google toolbar on IE but just
    > a small google
    > serachbox on Firefox. (wondered if it might be related to that but probably
    > another read herring.
    > My computer is pretty old, Cyrix MII 300, 128meg ram IE 6.0, Firefox 1.0.4
    >
    > So its a pretty simple problem really ;O) no doubt you wise owls can sort it
    > out ;;O)

    Please dont multipost. Choose one newsgroup and ask there.
    Moz Champion, Sep 20, 2005

  3. Albert Grennock

    RobG Guest

    Albert Grennock wrote:
    > Hi, Hope this is the right forum to ask in.
    >
    > Anyway in IE I go to this site and I click on computing on the left hand
    > menu and it takes from about 6 to 15 seconds to open the submenu.
    > I then click on "desktop PC's" and it takes 14 seconds to open that menu.
    > (normally about 14 seconds for the first menu, I guess I just 'got lucky'
    > last time when it opened in a *mere* 6 seconds.
    >
    > However I then had the bright idea of trying a different browser, Mozilla
    > Firefox and I got much better results. It took only about 2-3 seconds to
    > open
    > each menu, not lightening fast I admit but atleast useable unlike the
    > unbearable
    > slow Internet Explorer operation.

    Most likely the site has a slow server and the browsers are using cached
    data differently.

    > Actually futher investigation reveals it may not just java script or the
    > bits
    > which I think are javascript which runs slow (I onlly though it was
    > javescript
    > because it said 'javascript void()' or similar in the bottom barof the
    > browser
    > which indicates what it is doing so that maybe a red herring, it now seems
    > IE may just be slower at eveything.

    It indicates only that whoever coded the page is clueless. It doesn't
    work at all if JavaScript is disabled.

    [...]

    > So its a pretty simple problem really ;O) no doubt you wise owls can sort it
    > out ;;O)

    No, the problems are many and varied - attempting to validate the HTML
    generates hundreds of errors. Many are trivial, but some aren't:

    'Line 1794 column 95: element "SPACER" undefined"

    Send them an e-mail describing how crap you found the site and that you
    were going to purchase 100 PCs from them - but since their site shows
    them to be technical idiots you'll now go elsewhere.

    --
    Rob
    RobG, Sep 20, 2005
  4. "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    > Albert Grennock wrote:
    >> Hi, Hope this is the right forum to ask in.

    <SNIP>
    > Please dont multipost. Choose one newsgroup and ask there.

    Please snip replies. Also, what Albert did is called "cross-posting", which
    allows the OP to address the question to more than one appropriate newsgroup and
    is perfectly acceptable, within reason. "Multi-posting" is posting the same
    message to different NGs as individual messages. The advantage of cross-posting
    is that once it's been read in one group, it's marked "Read" in all groups.
    Also, all answers appear in all groups (usually) and thus there's less repeating
    of answers.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User
    Gary S. Terhune, Sep 20, 2005
  5. Albert Grennock

    Randy Webb Guest

    Moz Champion said the following on 9/19/2005 10:42 PM:

    > Albert Grennock wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, Hope this is the right forum to ask in.

    <--snip-->

    > Please dont multipost. Choose one newsgroup and ask there.

    This post was not multi-posted, it was cross-posted. Cross-posting is
    100% better than multi-posting and cross-posting is generally accepted
    whereas multi-posting is frowned upon.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Sep 20, 2005
  6. Albert Grennock

    Moz Champion Guest

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:

    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Albert Grennock wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, Hope this is the right forum to ask in.

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> Please dont multipost. Choose one newsgroup and ask there.

    > Please snip replies. Also, what Albert did is called "cross-posting",
    > which allows the OP to address the question to more than one appropriate
    > newsgroup and is perfectly acceptable, within reason. "Multi-posting" is
    > posting the same message to different NGs as individual messages. The
    > advantage of cross-posting is that once it's been read in one group,
    > it's marked "Read" in all groups. Also, all answers appear in all groups
    > (usually) and thus there's less repeating of answers.

    You may have the time to re-read each post in a thread to find out whats
    been asked/answered/done/not done/settings/etc. I dont.

    Snip and its Later Gator!
    night

    TB and Mozilla dont mark messages read in multiple groups.
    in any case discussion is over, I'm out of here, I dont participate in
    threads which Ihave to re-read over and over again just to find out
    whats going on, I dont have that time.
    Moz Champion, Sep 20, 2005
  7. OK, Bye.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune, Sep 20, 2005
  8. "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    > Albert Grennock wrote:
    > > Hi, Hope this is the right forum to ask in.
    > >
    > > Anyway in IE I go to this site and I click on computing on the left hand
    > > menu and it takes from about 6 to 15 seconds to open the submenu.
    > > I then click on "desktop PC's" and it takes 14 seconds to open that

    menu.
    > > (normally about 14 seconds for the first menu, I guess I just 'got

    lucky'
    > > last time when it opened in a *mere* 6 seconds.
    > >
    > > However I then had the bright idea of trying a different browser,

    Mozilla
    > > Firefox and I got much better results. It took only about 2-3 seconds to
    > > open
    > > each menu, not lightening fast I admit but atleast useable unlike the
    > > unbearable
    > > slow Internet Explorer operation.
    > >
    > > Actually futher investigation reveals it may not just java script or the
    > > bits
    > > which I think are javascript which runs slow (I onlly though it was
    > > javescript
    > > because it said 'javascript void()' or similar in the bottom barof the
    > > browser
    > > which indicates what it is doing so that maybe a red herring, it now

    seems
    > > IE may just be slower at eveything.
    > > For example
    > > Clicking on 'specification' or 'key features' has similar 15 second

    against
    > > 2-3 seconds in the respective browsers.

    http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...ku=383526&category_oid=-20732&fm=19&sm=5&tm=1

    > > Then again I tried another slow page in IE, which turned out to be miles
    > > slower
    > > in Firefox, so I am rather confused!!

    http://home.skysports.com/optastats.asp?clid=1&clubname=Manchester United&cpid=8

    > > Yep that page is painfully slow in Firefox and also the graphics are a

    bit
    > > screwed up,
    > > it also reloads the page unnecessarilly.
    > >
    > > Help!!!!!!!!
    > >
    > > Just to add to the confussion I have the full google toolbar on IE but

    just
    > > a small google
    > > serachbox on Firefox. (wondered if it might be related to that but

    probably
    > > another read herring.
    > > My computer is pretty old, Cyrix MII 300, 128meg ram IE 6.0, Firefox

    1.0.4

    > > So its a pretty simple problem really ;O) no doubt you wise owls can

    sort it
    > > out ;;O)
    > >

    > Please dont multipost. Choose one newsgroup and ask there.

    Hey mate, please mind your own business and get a life.
    Albert Grennock, Sep 20, 2005
  9. "RobG" <> wrote in message
    > Albert Grennock wrote:
    > > Hi, Hope this is the right forum to ask in.
    > >
    > > Anyway in IE I go to this site and I click on computing on the left hand
    > > menu and it takes from about 6 to 15 seconds to open the submenu.
    > > I then click on "desktop PC's" and it takes 14 seconds to open that

    menu.
    > > (normally about 14 seconds for the first menu, I guess I just 'got

    lucky'
    > > last time when it opened in a *mere* 6 seconds.
    > >
    > > However I then had the bright idea of trying a different browser,

    Mozilla
    > > Firefox and I got much better results. It took only about 2-3 seconds to
    > > open
    > > each menu, not lightening fast I admit but atleast useable unlike the
    > > unbearable
    > > slow Internet Explorer operation.

    > Most likely the site has a slow server and the browsers are using cached
    > data differently.

    Not sure about that, my PC is at 100% CPU during the wait.

    > > Actually futher investigation reveals it may not just java script or the
    > > bits
    > > which I think are javascript which runs slow (I onlly though it was
    > > javescript
    > > because it said 'javascript void()' or similar in the bottom barof the
    > > browser
    > > which indicates what it is doing so that maybe a red herring, it now

    seems
    > > IE may just be slower at eveything.

    > It indicates only that whoever coded the page is clueless. It doesn't
    > work at all if JavaScript is disabled.
    >
    > [...]
    >

    > > So its a pretty simple problem really ;O) no doubt you wise owls can

    sort it
    > > out ;;O)

    > No, the problems are many and varied - attempting to validate the HTML
    > generates hundreds of errors. Many are trivial, but some aren't:
    >
    > 'Line 1794 column 95: element "SPACER" undefined"
    >

    > Send them an e-mail describing how crap you found the site and that you
    > were going to purchase 100 PCs from them - but since their site shows
    > them to be technical idiots you'll now go elsewhere.

    I am actually going to the store to try and get a refund of an item on
    My reciept which I didn't want (product warrenty), I will also have
    to return another TV to them which was faulty out of the box.

    I was actually going to buy a PC from them but obviously now thats
    a worrying though.
    Unfortunately they have a virtual monoloply in such good in the UK
    so they can staff themselves with idiots and crooks.
    Hopefull someone will burn down all their stores someday.

    Albert Grennock, Sep 20, 2005
  10. Albert Grennock

    RobG Guest

    Albert Grennock wrote:
    > "RobG" <> wrote in message

    [...]
    >>Send them an e-mail describing how crap you found the site and that you
    >>were going to purchase 100 PCs from them - but since their site shows
    >>them to be technical idiots you'll now go elsewhere.
    >>

    > I am actually going to the store to try and get a refund of an item on
    > My reciept which I didn't want (product warrenty), I will also have
    > to return another TV to them which was faulty out of the box.
    >
    > I was actually going to buy a PC from them but obviously now thats
    > a worrying though.
    > Unfortunately they have a virtual monoloply in such good in the UK
    > so they can staff themselves with idiots and crooks.
    > Hopefull someone will burn down all their stores someday.

    You mean that happens to other people too?

    Is it perverse to say your tale of woe makes my day? ;-)

    --
    Rob
    RobG, Sep 21, 2005
  11. RobG wrote:
    > Albert Grennock wrote:
    >> "RobG" <> wrote in message

    > [...]
    >>>
    >>> Send them an e-mail describing how crap you found the site and that you
    >>> were going to purchase 100 PCs from them - but since their site shows
    >>> them to be technical idiots you'll now go elsewhere.
    >>>

    >> I am actually going to the store to try and get a refund of an item on
    >> My reciept which I didn't want (product warrenty), I will also have
    >> to return another TV to them which was faulty out of the box.
    >>
    >> I was actually going to buy a PC from them but obviously now thats
    >> a worrying though.
    >> Unfortunately they have a virtual monoloply in such good in the UK
    >> so they can staff themselves with idiots and crooks.
    >> Hopefull someone will burn down all their stores someday.

    > You mean that happens to other people too?
    >
    > Is it perverse to say your tale of woe makes my day? ;-)

    Misery loves company.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Sep 21, 2005
  12. "RobG" <> wrote in message
    > Albert Grennock wrote:
    > > "RobG" <> wrote in message

    > [...]
    > >>
    > >>Send them an e-mail describing how crap you found the site and that you
    > >>were going to purchase 100 PCs from them - but since their site shows
    > >>them to be technical idiots you'll now go elsewhere.
    > >>

    > > I am actually going to the store to try and get a refund of an item on
    > > My reciept which I didn't want (product warrenty), I will also have
    > > to return another TV to them which was faulty out of the box.
    > >
    > > I was actually going to buy a PC from them but obviously now thats
    > > a worrying though.
    > > Unfortunately they have a virtual monoloply in such good in the UK
    > > so they can staff themselves with idiots and crooks.
    > > Hopefull someone will burn down all their stores someday.

    > You mean that happens to other people too?
    >
    > Is it perverse to say your tale of woe makes my day? ;-)

    It would be oerverse for me to say I find you post comprehensible
    because I don't, please read what you have written and ask
    you self if it actually makes sense (to a aperson other than yourself).
    If it don't make sense drag it to te recycle bin and start again.

    Albert Grennock, Sep 22, 2005
  13. Albert Grennock

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:10:59 GMT, "Albert Grennock" <>
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >"RobG" <> wrote in message
    >> Albert Grennock wrote:
    >> > "RobG" <> wrote in message

    >> [...]
    >> >>

    >> > I am actually going to the store to try and get a refund of an item on
    >> > My reciept which I didn't want (product warrenty), I will also have
    >> > to return another TV to them which was faulty out of the box.
    >> >
    >> > I was actually going to buy a PC from them but obviously now thats
    >> > a worrying though.
    >> > Unfortunately they have a virtual monoloply in such good in the UK
    >> > so they can staff themselves with idiots and crooks.
    >> > Hopefull someone will burn down all their stores someday.

    >> You mean that happens to other people too?
    >>
    >> Is it perverse to say your tale of woe makes my day? ;-)

    >It would be oerverse for me to say I find you post comprehensible
    >because I don't, please read what you have written and ask
    >you self if it actually makes sense (to a aperson other than yourself).
    >If it don't make sense drag it to te recycle bin and start again.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rob

    It makes perfect sense to me, especially since he deigned to use a
    spell checker. All he was saying was that he has experienced the same
    problems as you, and was happy to hear that he was not alone. The
    "perversity" arises because it could appear that he is revelling in
    your misfortune.

    -- Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Sep 22, 2005