    not sure how it got messed up in the first place. Thanks in advance for the
    help.

    Drew
    Drew, Apr 10, 2011

  2. Drew

    Kue2 Guest

    Go Here D/L both the 32bit & 64 bit & install

    http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

    "Drew" wrote in message news:int1bn$cg2$...

    A little advice would help a lot. I do not know how it got screwed up but. I
    noticed that the shortcut in control panel for Java does not work. I get
    "application not found" when clicking on it. When I try to check Oracle's
    website to see if I have it their widget or what ever you want to call it
    says I do not have it either. Then when I download the program or JRE I get
    a message saying it is already installed and would I like to reinstall it.
    At this point I get the message or warning "this action is only valid for
    products currently installed. I will be damned if I want to pay Oracle 50
    bucks to help me with it so I am hoping someone here can help. Now I do not
    know whether this is pertinent or not but the java shortcut in control panel
    says it is java 32 bit. I of course am running Windows7 64bit SP1 and use
    the 32bit IE9. I am not sure whether there is a registry key I need to
    modify or what hence the request for help. Is there a way I can totally
    remove it from my computer and start over with fresh install of java or is
    there a way to fix it? I have not been able to do anything with it and I am

    Kue2, Apr 11, 2011

  3. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Kue2.. Thanks for that but I get the same errors

    Drew, Apr 11, 2011
  4. Drew

    Kue2 Guest

    Try uninstalling all versions of Java you have currently installed in "add
    remove programs".
    Then re-install from the link I supplied.
    After u uninstall & re-boot u might have to delete the java directory
    manually in "Program filesX86"
    Then re-boot & re-install Java .

    Kue2, Apr 11, 2011
  5. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Believe it or not it does not show in add/remove programs but I will follow
    the rest of your advice asap.

    Drew, Apr 11, 2011
  6. Drew

    Carlos Guest

    Drew,
    Read this article in full, there is a lot of good stuff there:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/regkey_addremove.xml

    Some Java stuff to delete:
    a.. the \%systemroot%\java folder
    b.. java.pnf from the \%systemroot%\inf folder
    c.. jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%systemroot%\system32 folder
    d.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM registry subkey
    e.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM registry subkey

    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 11, 2011
  7. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Carlos: I hate messing with the registry but I went through it and did not
    find all of these files. I followed your instructions to the letter yet
    nothing has changed. The one file I found was under
    hkey_local_machine\software\internet explorer\advancedOptions\Java_vm . The
    message I got is "unable to delete all specified values". I looked in all
    other locations you suggested and yet did not find any of these files. I
    studied the page from java.com and nothing there helped either. I am not
    sure why I get the message saying the software is installed when it clearly
    is not and will not let me do anything with it. Kind of a pain when it says
    it is installed (and it is not) and would you like to reinstall (I choose
    that) and it says. "This only applies to software currently installed"

    Drew, Apr 12, 2011
  8. Drew

    Rob Guest

    On 12/04/2011 01:49, Drew wrote:
    > Carlos: I hate messing with the registry but I went through it and did
    > not find all of these files. I followed your instructions to the letter
    > yet nothing has changed. The one file I found was under
    > hkey_local_machine\software\internet explorer\advancedOptions\Java_vm .
    > The message I got is "unable to delete all specified values". I looked
    > in all other locations you suggested and yet did not find any of these
    > files. I studied the page from java.com and nothing there helped either.
    > I am not sure why I get the message saying the software is installed
    > when it clearly is not and will not let me do anything with it. Kind of
    > a pain when it says it is installed (and it is not) and would you like
    > to reinstall (I choose that) and it says. "This only applies to software
    > currently installed"
    >
    > "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    >> Drew,
    >> Read this article in full, there is a lot of good stuff there:
    >> http://www.java.com/en/download/help/regkey_addremove.xml
    >>
    >> Some Java stuff to delete:
    >> a.. the \%systemroot%\java folder
    >> b.. java.pnf from the \%systemroot%\inf folder
    >> c.. jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%systemroot%\system32 folder
    >> d.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM registry subkey
    >> e.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
    >> Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM registry subkey
    >>
    >> Carlos
    >>
    >> On 11 abr, 00:31, "Drew" <> wrote:
    >>> Believe it or not it does not show in add/remove programs but I will
    >>> follow
    >>> the rest of your advice asap.
    >>>
    >>> "Kue2" <> wrote in message

    >>> in > "add

    >>> I >> get
    >>> call >> it
    >>> JRE >> I
    >>> reinstall
    >>> valid >> for
    >>> Oracle >> 50
    >>> I >> do
    >>> control
    >>> and >> use
    >>> need to
    >>> totally
    >>> java >> or
    >>> and >> I
    >>> advance >> for

    >>> - Mostrar texto de la cita -

    There is some rather nasty malware that messes with Java, so this
    may be your problem. Try a full scan with an up-to-date AV
    scanner and then install and do a full scan with MalwareBytes
    Anti Malware. If you find anything, then you may have to run
    several other similar utilities (eg a rootkit remover.)
    --
    Rob
    Rob, Apr 12, 2011
  9. Drew

    Carlos Guest

    Drew,
    Any chance of doing a system restore?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 12, 2011
  10. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Carlos, I shall contemplate the system restore but this has been a minor
    irritant for about a year or more. The weird thing is I never notice a
    problem viewing web pages and it is only when I am going through my system
    getting rid of old stuff I either do not use or have moved onto a external
    thumbdrive for safe keeping and they are no longer connected. I have always
    kept as little as possible on my rig in case of emergency

    Drew, Apr 14, 2011
  11. On Apr 12, 11:46 am, Rob <> wrote:
    > On 12/04/2011 01:49, Drew wrote:
    >

    > > Carlos: I hate messing with the registry but I went through it and did
    > > not find all of these files. I followed your instructions to the letter
    > > yet nothing has changed. The one file I found was under
    > > hkey_local_machine\software\internet explorer\advancedOptions\Java_vm .
    > > The message I got is "unable to delete all specified values". I looked
    > > in all other locations you suggested and yet did not find any of these
    > > files. I studied the page from java.com and nothing there helped either..
    > > I am not sure why I get the message saying the software is installed
    > > when it clearly is not and will not let me do anything with it. Kind of
    > > a pain when it says it is installed (and it is not) and would you like
    > > to reinstall (I choose that) and it says. "This only applies to software
    > > currently installed"

    > > "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > >> Drew,
    > >> Read this article in full, there is a lot of good stuff there:
    > >>http://www.java.com/en/download/help/regkey_addremove.xml

    > >> Some Java stuff to delete:
    > >> a.. the \%systemroot%\java folder
    > >> b.. java.pnf from the \%systemroot%\inf folder
    > >> c.. jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%systemroot%\system32 folder
    > >> d.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM registry subkey
    > >> e.. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
    > >> Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM registry subkey

    > >> Carlos

    > There is some rather nasty malware that messes with Java, so this
    > may be your problem.  Try a full scan with an up-to-date AV
    > scanner and then install and do a full scan with MalwareBytes
    > Anti Malware.  If you find anything, then you may have to run
    > several other similar utilities (eg a rootkit remover.)

    There's a bootable live "Kaspersky Rescue Disk" anti-malware which is
    probably free for personal use, and current, although only supported
    for customers - I haven't myself got as far as checking the licence
    terms - but I'm also not sure whether it is over-hasty deleting stuff,
    for instance. Maybe you don't want to let that chew over your system
    volume before you have a backup of the volume.

    It may be worth searching for any or every mention of "java" in the
    Registry, although this isn't to say that all of those should be not
    present when Oracle Java isn't installed and working, and should be
    removed. It's just a proposal.

    I suppose you can still install both 64 bit and 32 bit Java, as well
    as different version numbers in different folders - and if you can
    thus successfully install it, then maybe you will be allowed to remove
    it, get cleaned up, and start over.

    And can we rule out any odd account permissions limitation on the
    filesystem or in the Registry?
    Robert Carnegie, Apr 15, 2011