Java

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?bWFybGlu?=, Aug 25, 2005.

  1. Any know if there is java for 64 bit windows xp??
    =?Utf-8?B?bWFybGlu?=, Aug 25, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Aug 25, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?bWFybGlu?=

    Rick Guest

    Rick, Aug 26, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?bWFybGlu?=

    -Dan- Guest

    Mine does... You have to somehow get the 32 bit (586) version installed first. If browser plugin is all you need, forget the x64 version. It has the browser plugin and it works in both versions of IE.

    I stumbled onto this during a tryout of StarOffice. It needed JRE to be fully functional. It installed, much to my surprise, version 1.4.???. Then I found the NOAA weather stuff works in the browser... both versions. I then loaded installed jre1.5.0_04... the browser still works. I have just now loaded the x86 AMD version of 1.5. I now have two folders of Java/jre1.5.0_04, one in Programs, the other in Programs(x86)... and the browser stuff still works. :))

    --
    -Dan-

    -Dan-, Aug 26, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?bWFybGlu?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    So, can we just run over that again....

    What are you saying here? That installing the AMD x64 version installs the
    plugins for the 32bit =and= 64bit version of IE?

    Or that you have to install the 32bit version of Java first and =then= the
    AMD x64 version?

    (for it all to work in BOTH browsers...)

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Aug 26, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?bWFybGlu?=

    -Dan- Guest

    It worked in both browsers with only the 32 bit jre installed. Don't ask why...

    --
    -Dan-

    -Dan-, Aug 26, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?bWFybGlu?=

    Rick Guest

    My guess is that Colin is not fully aware of what he is doing, or saying!

    I have Java installed on my system, both the 32 bit and the 64 bit, and
    there is NO 64 bit browser support - exactly as Sun states on their Web
    site.

    I do have FULL Java capabilities in I.E. 32 bit.

    Rick, Aug 26, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?bWFybGlu?=

    Rick Guest

    Boy, I blew it again! Colin is NOT guilty, Dan is - Dan apparently is
    not aware of exactly he is doing! The rest is as I stated below - there
    is NO 64 bit browser support as per Sun!

    Rick, Aug 26, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?bWFybGlu?=

    -Dan- Guest

    Rick, looks like you blew it again. :)) I AM very well aware of JRE working in both 32 and 64 bit IE. Don't ask me why it's working in both, cuz I doan know. ;) Lack of support by Sun doesn't mean it WON'T work, cause it does, and is functional in both browsers.

    --
    -Dan-

    -Dan-, Aug 27, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?bWFybGlu?=

    Rick Guest

    The question is why are you the only one in the world reporting that
    Java is working in I.E. 64?

    I would tend to think that Sun just might know exactly the features they
    have put in the 64-bit Java, and tend to believe them when they state:

    Browser Footnotes
    Browsers listed above are supported for JavaTM Plug-in software and
    JavaTM Web Start software.
    Further details:
    - 64-bit support for Java Plug-in software is currently not available
    - For 64-bit versions of Solaris OS, Linux and Windows support is for
    32-bit browsers only - Support for Netscape 4.7.x on Solaris 8 on SPARC
    and x86
    - Internet Explorer 5.5 (SP2+), 6.x on Windows platforms
    - Netscape 7 and 7.1 are not offically supported, but should work

    This can be found at:

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/system-configurations.html

    So, until you can prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that what you claim
    is true, I stand by my statement that:

    My guess is that Dan is not fully aware of what he is doing, or saying!

    I have Java installed on my system, both the 32 bit and the 64 bit, and
    there is NO 64 bit browser support - exactly as Sun states on their Web
    site.

    I do have FULL Java capabilities in I.E. 32 bit.

    Rick...

    Rick, Aug 27, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?bWFybGlu?=

    -Dan- Guest

    Doubting Rick, :))

    > The question is why are you the only one in the world reporting that
    > Java is working in I.E. 64?

    Somebody has to be first... :) No one ever believes the first one to do anything. Why should you be any different from the masses?

    > So, until you can prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that what you claim
    > is true, I stand by my statement that:

    You know, I don't have to prove anything, to you or anyone else. So I am not going to try.

    I understand that you don't believe me. That's OK by me, and it's your right to do so. But you DO NOT have the right to say that I am not fully aware of what I am doing, or saying. YOU certainly cannot prove it. In fact, if DOE/NNSA/Security felt the way you do, I would not have a job today, nor could I ever get one at any National Security Complex.

    I had not gotten as far along on this as you claim you are. I basically gave up and uninstalled all traces of Java. I then installed Sun's StarOffice 7, which requested permission to install Java Runtime in order to be fully functional. I hadn't had any great success with it, but reluctantly agreed, and JRE 1.4.xxsomething did install. StarOffice worked as it was designed... but not to my liking. A few days later, and still evaluating StarOffice, I found that Java was working in my browser, and I didn't know quite what to think. Exploring further, I found that it was working in both browsers, BOTH 32 bit and 64 bit. Did StarOffice have something to do with it? I don't know, but apparently so, since I had not been able to get it to work otherwise. I have long since uninstalled StarOffice, leaving Java intact. It still works in BOTH browsers....

    Well, I don't have to do this, but I will invite you to come see me... then you can see for yourself.

    --
    -Dan-

    -Dan-, Aug 27, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?bWFybGlu?=

    Rick Guest

    The most ridiculous part of your claim is you're stating that Sun
    doesn't know what their talking about. Well, since they are the
    software engineers for Java and they plainly state there is no 64 bit
    browser support in ANY of their 64 bit versions of Java, my conclusion
    is plainly that you do not know what your are talking about. There have
    been several people that have been confused by the inclusion of both a
    32-bit and a 64-bit version of Internet Explorer and apparently you are
    one of them.

    I don't believe you because you are making claims about features that
    the software engineer plainly states have not been incorporated into Java!

    I believe the software engineer knows what he/she did or didn't include
    in the software better than you do!

    Rick, Aug 27, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?bWFybGlu?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Gentlemen! Please?!

    I just asked a simple question and didn't want it turning into a "bun
    fight"! :)

    Let me explain where I'm coming from. Firstly, since it is my profession
    (40+ years standing...), I am fully aware of what I am doing with ANY
    software under ANY OS on ANY form of computer! (you'll just have to take my
    word on that...)

    The reason for me asking Dan the question that I did was simply this. This
    is a nice brand spanking new "kick-ass" AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4400+MHz
    machine with WinXP Pro x64 Edition installed as its OS. Given that I have
    around 10-12 (don't ask...) other PC's in my home of various flavours and
    builds, I have long since learnt the value of keeping a new machine "lean &
    mean" when it comes to adding any form of application software; especially
    with such a new (perhaps not fully shaken down yet) OS as x64 Edition.
    Since, as far as I am concerned anyway, this is a 64bit PC primarily
    (although it will run 32 bit stuff as well) I'd like, where possible, to
    make sure that if available, I support the 64bit side as well as the 32bit
    side (I'm thinking more Internet Explorer in this regard) if the vendor has
    it available. Hence my question about the Sun Java and whether the so-called
    "AMD64" downloadable really does support Internet Explorer (64bit) or
    whether it simply adds support only to the 32bit version in the correct
    manner.

    From what Dan is saying, he only installed the 32bit 1.4.xx version and
    suddenly, Java options ALSO came up when running IE 64bit... or have I
    misunderstood Dan? If that is the case, then what is the point of loading
    the jre-1_5_0_04-windows-amd64.exe version I downloaded? What added value
    does it give me? Do I really need it etc etc... As I said before... "lean &
    mean" is what I'm after, in other words, anything that purports to work as a
    64bit application that actually is only working in Wow64 mode, then I'd
    rather wait until that situation is corrected than load the machine with
    stuff I don't need...

    I hope taking the time to read this has cooled you two off :)

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Aug 27, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?bWFybGlu?=

    Rick Guest

    Your point is well taken, Colin.

    At this point in time Sun has not put browser support into their Java
    Runtime Edition, or the SDK, so the only benefit you currently see in
    x64 after installing the Java 32-bit is in I.E. 32. Regardless of
    whether you install the Java 64-bit by itself, or in addition to the
    32-bit, you will not see any Java in I.E. 64. If you open I.E. 64 and
    pull down "Tools" there is no "Sun Java Console" option on the menu.

    Rick, Aug 28, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?bWFybGlu?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > Your point is well taken, Colin.
    >
    > At this point in time Sun has not put browser support into their Java
    > Runtime Edition, or the SDK, so the only benefit you currently see in x64
    > after installing the Java 32-bit is in I.E. 32. Regardless of whether you
    > install the Java 64-bit by itself, or in addition to the 32-bit, you will
    > not see any Java in I.E. 64. If you open I.E. 64 and pull down "Tools"
    > there is no "Sun Java Console" option on the menu.

    Thank you Rick for a nice concise and to the point answer and EXACTLY what I
    needed to know! :)

    I guess I'll just pitch the download and wait...

    Colin
    Colin Nowell, Aug 28, 2005