    directory other than the default. It still has the same error. Is there a
    checkbox somewhere that I'm missing? The machine is running xp-pro sp1/amd
    1100/512 ram
    George, Apr 12, 2005

  2. George

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:17:16 -0500, George wrote:

    >I'm trying to install Java's runtime environment. It comes up in error

    Which version?

    Try turning off any AV / spyware apps during the JRE install.

    >everytime. It says it cannot get the required data from the target
    >directory. It also says it might be a problem with the windows installer

    Only the text, no error codes?
    That's the exact text?

    Try searching Google, for some of the text in the message you have.

    >program. The only option I've been able to find is to install it to a
    >directory other than the default. It still has the same error. Is there a
    >checkbox somewhere that I'm missing? The machine is running xp-pro sp1/amd
    >1100/512 ram

    You are running the setup logged in as an administrator?

    Me
    why?, Apr 12, 2005

  3. George

    George Guest

    > On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:17:16 -0500, George wrote:
    >
    > >I'm trying to install Java's runtime environment. It comes up in error

    > Which version?
    >
    > Try turning off any AV / spyware apps during the JRE install.
    >
    > >everytime. It says it cannot get the required data from the target
    > >directory. It also says it might be a problem with the windows installer

    > Only the text, no error codes?
    > That's the exact text?
    >
    > Try searching Google, for some of the text in the message you have.
    >
    > >program. The only option I've been able to find is to install it to a
    > >directory other than the default. It still has the same error. Is there

    > >checkbox somewhere that I'm missing? The machine is running xp-pro

    sp1/amd
    > >1100/512 ram

    > You are running the setup logged in as an administrator?
    >
    > Me

    Unfortunately, the machine is 80 miles away. I'm going to try again on
    friday. I don't know which version it is. I went to Java.com to download
    and install. It might be a good idea to turn off the AV while trying it.
    Thanks, I'll try that. I don't know the error code but I think it might
    have been 1722. On subsequent attempts to install it, I get a message that
    its already installed so I have to uninstall it through control panel and
    then try to install it. Java's site has a complete list of FAQ's but it
    seems that every one of them pertains to problems after its installed.
    George, Apr 13, 2005
  4. George

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:31:41 -0500, George wrote:

    >> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:17:16 -0500, George wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm trying to install Java's runtime environment. It comes up in error

    >> Which version?
    >>
    >> Try turning off any AV / spyware apps during the JRE install.
    >>
    >> >everytime. It says it cannot get the required data from the target
    >> >directory. It also says it might be a problem with the windows installer

    >> Only the text, no error codes?
    >> That's the exact text?
    >>
    >> Try searching Google, for some of the text in the message you have.
    >>
    >> >program. The only option I've been able to find is to install it to a
    >> >directory other than the default. It still has the same error. Is there

    >> >checkbox somewhere that I'm missing? The machine is running xp-pro

    >sp1/amd
    >> >1100/512 ram

    >> You are running the setup logged in as an administrator?
    >>
    >> Me

    >Unfortunately, the machine is 80 miles away. I'm going to try again on
    >friday. I don't know which version it is. I went to Java.com to download
    >and install. It might be a good idea to turn off the AV while trying it.

    Are you downloading the file, then installing, IIRC an offline install
    rather than the (default) install while connected to the internet.

    >Thanks, I'll try that. I don't know the error code but I think it might
    >have been 1722. On subsequent attempts to install it, I get a message that

    You will have seen this? It's not too useful.

    Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.
    Welcome to java.com. Brought to you by Sun Microsystems. Java Software
    Download |
    Select Language | Contact | ... Error 1722 is an InstallShield error
    code. ...
    www.java.com/en/download/help/error_1722.xml - 25k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    That says it's for the 1.4.x series, try an earlier 1.3.x
    http://java.sun.com/products/archive/
    or the newer 1.5.0, which seems to be the default at
    http://java.com/

    Going with the Sun message, another Google search
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=installshield 1722
    Results 1 - 10 of about 626 English pages for installshield 1722. (0.07
    seconds)

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Apr 13, 2005