    from Sun. I feel like I've kept up with the news...isn't IE supposed to
    support java?

    Thanks...
    zim, Aug 20, 2003

  2. zim

    °Mike° Guest

    Have you been hibernating?

    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:46:23 GMT, in
    <P_R0b.278$>
    zim scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 20, 2003

  3. zim

    zim Guest

    Apparently so.

    Do you think the Sun Java plugin is the best bet?

    Thanks, as always,

    pk

    zim, Aug 20, 2003
  4. zim

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:46:23 GMT, zim wrote:

    >Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone's noticed this...I'm upgrading

    Only many thousands of people in the last year or so noticed.

    After a short layoff, Microsoft is growing the polluted Java again.
    Boxed in by Sun's lawsuit the company decided not to ship its JVM (old,
    and pending resolution of the dispute, getting older) with Windows XP,
    but now it's going to ship it with XP SP1, which will be with us in a
    few months. It will also, bizarrely, be discontinuing downloads of the
    thing.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/21285.html
    27/08/2001 at 08:38 GMT
    Sun cries wolf over Windows XP

    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/howto-21.html
    Last Updated: March 10, 2003
    Although court cases are still draggin on, Microsoft has removed its
    Java Virtual Machine (JVM) from the Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1).
    Recently Microsoft released Service Pack 1a, which is the same as SP1,
    but then without the Java VM.

    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=83e4e879-fa3a-48bf-ade5-023443e29d78&displaylang=en>
    Date Published: 2/3/2003
    Overview
    If you are not running Windows XP SP1, install SP1a for security and
    reliability updates to the Windows XP family of operating systems. There
    is no benefit to installing SP1a if you are already running Windows XP
    SP1. We do not recommend that you install SP1a if you are already
    running SP1.

    Note: Windows XP SP1a is almost identical to Windows XP SP1 except that
    the Microsoft virtual machine (VM) is removed in SP1a.

    Technical Changes
    Windows XP SP1a does not include or install the Microsoft VM, which
    provides support for running Java applets.

    >numerous desktops to XP Pro...I've noticed that on these machines certain
    >web sites won't display at all until I download and install a java plugin

    Without a Java runtime, of course not.

    >from Sun. I feel like I've kept up with the news...isn't IE supposed to

    News -
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/
    http://theinquirer.net/
    http://www.techweb.com/
    http://www.zdnet.com/
    other can be found using www.google.com

    >support java?

    IE does.

    >Thanks...

    Me
    why?, Aug 20, 2003
  5. zim

    °Mike° Guest

    I don't like the Sun Java, personally. You can install the MS JVM
    from one of the following links, then visit Windows Update, where
    you will be able to update it.

    ftp://ftp.visualware.com/pub/java/msjavx86.exe

    http://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/systems/win95/fixes/VM/msjavx86.exe
    ftp://ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/systems/win95/fixes/winme/msjavx86.exe

    ftp://ftp.univ-paris1.fr/pub/pc/correctifs/winxp/msjavx86.exe

    ftp://ftp.cert.dfn.de/pub/vendor/microsoft/winME/Security_Bulletins/msjavx86.exe
    ftp://ftp.cert.dfn.de/pub/vendor/microsoft/winnt2/Security_Bulletins/msjavx86.exe
    ftp://ftp.cert.dfn.de/pub/vendor/microsoft/msjava/Security_Bulletins/msjavx86.exe

    ftp://ftp.uni-rostock.de/pub/vendor/Microsoft/ServicePacks/Java/US/msjavx86.exe

    ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/cam_only/pc/ie/hotfixes/msjavx86.exe
    ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/pc/ie/msjavx86.exe

    ftp://ftp.globalnet.co.uk/pub/windows/win95_and_NT/utils/msjavx86.exe

    ftp://ftp.redcom.ru/pub/support/windows/browsers/vm_for_java/msjavx86.exe

    http://www.krm.com/ms/msjavx86.exe

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:58:42 GMT, in
    <maS0b.284$>
    zim scrawled: