Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 4 released

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Carlos, Jan 13, 2008.

  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, Jan 13, 2008

  2. Carlos

    Jane C Guest

    Carlos,

    I think the answer to when we will ever see x64 addins is the same as that
    to the question "how long is a piece of string?" ;-)

    Thanks for the head's-up :)

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP Windows Shell/User

    Jane C, Jan 13, 2008

  3. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Jane,
    I guess you are right about the x64 version.
    Don't forget to uninstall previous Java installation first.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 13, 2008
  4. Carlos

    Rom Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 07:38:01 -0800, Carlos wrote:

    > Sun has released Update 4 to its JRE.
    > Download the 32-bit version from here:
    > http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
    > This will only add java support for IE-32bit in Vista x64.
    > No news yet on IE-64bit support.

    An observation - uninstalled JRE 6 Update 3 before installing JRE 6
    Update 4, and after the install there's now no Java showing in the
    32-bit Control Panel Items. It didn't used to work from there anyway,
    whereas "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\javacpl.exe" run
    as admin does.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Jan 15, 2008
  5. Carlos

    Allan Guest

    "Rom" <> wrote in message

    > An observation - uninstalled JRE 6 Update 3 before installing JRE 6
    > Update 4, and after the install there's now no Java showing in the
    > 32-bit Control Panel Items. It didn't used to work from there anyway,
    > whereas "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\javacpl.exe" run
    > as admin does.
    >
    > --
    > Rom

    I had a problem on a Dell 32-bit laptop where previously since Sept. 2006
    (when it was new) the Control Panel applet would show up and work only in
    Limited User accounts and not in Admin accounts (where it would only show up
    in the Control Panel). After I installed update 3 it started working in both
    types of accounts. So you might check if you have a Limited User account
    whether it shows up or not. You may have to wait until the next update. Have
    you also tried turning off the firewall while trying to run the applet?
    Thanks to Carlos for the timely notification.

    --
    Allan

    Allan, Jan 21, 2008
  6. Carlos

    Rom Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 22:38:03 -0600, Allan wrote:

    > "Rom" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> An observation - uninstalled JRE 6 Update 3 before installing JRE 6
    >> Update 4, and after the install there's now no Java showing in the
    >> 32-bit Control Panel Items. It didn't used to work from there anyway,
    >> whereas "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\javacpl.exe" run
    >> as admin does.
    >>

    > I had a problem on a Dell 32-bit laptop where previously since Sept. 2006
    > (when it was new) the Control Panel applet would show up and work only in
    > Limited User accounts and not in Admin accounts (where it would only show up
    > in the Control Panel). After I installed update 3 it started working in both
    > types of accounts. So you might check if you have a Limited User account
    > whether it shows up or not. You may have to wait until the next update.

    Now that the next update is available, I see the missing Java Control
    Panel is mentioned in "Changes in 1.6.0_05" under "Known Issue on
    64-bit Windows Vista":
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/ReleaseNotes.html#160_05>

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Mar 20, 2008
  7. Carlos

    Allan Guest

    "Rom" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 22:38:03 -0600, Allan wrote:

    > Now that the next update is available, I see the missing Java Control
    > Panel is mentioned in "Changes in 1.6.0_05" under "Known Issue on
    > 64-bit Windows Vista":
    > <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/ReleaseNotes.html#160_05>
    >
    > --
    > Rom

    If anyone wants to try the beta "update N" versions here is the link :
    http://download.java.net/jdk6/ . I am too timid to install it yet.

    --
    Allan

    Allan, Mar 21, 2008