    Tried to install MS VM instead, but can't get it to load.

    OS is XP SP2
    Any ideas??. Or locations of old java installs I could try?
    PhilÅ, Aug 8, 2005

  2. PhilÅ

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 21:59:49 GMT, PhilÅ wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >My Java is screwed, had issues, so uninstalled every thing.
    >
    >Downloaded the latest from SUN, now when ever I go to a page, when the java

    That will be 1_5_4_04 , just to make sure.

    >applets are loading the IE windows close and dump me back to the desktop.

    It's not just something in IE?

    You tried another browser?

    It's not the way the applet is launched (code on the page)?

    >Have uninstalled and re installed inc a new download from sun, and get the
    >same.

    You tried unticking Sun Java 2 in IE, Tools | options | Advanced , maybe
    even open the Java console to see if there are any errors.

    >Tried to install MS VM instead, but can't get it to load.

    Which version from where?

    What happened?

    MS don't have a d/l for anything from NT4 up that generally doesn't
    install except for early SPs or as a non Windows update version.

    However if you hunt around old posts in 24HSHD, and www.google.com you
    will find you can d/l from Windows Update the MS JVM 3810 from the
    Windows ME list and it works on NT4 SP6a and 2000 SP4. I am sure I also
    put in on 2 XP SP2 PCs at work.

    >OS is XP SP2

    What version of MS JVM is SP2, did that include the SP1a removal of MS
    JVM?

    >Any ideas??. Or locations of old java installs I could try?

    Sun archive has multiple versions, of lots of stuff
    http://java.sun.com/products/archive/

    Maybe look for manual removal instructions,
    http://onesearch.sun.com/search/onesearch/

    Me
    why?, Aug 8, 2005

  3. PhilÅ

    Paul_B Guest

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 21:59:49 GMT, PhilÅ wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > My Java is screwed, had issues, so uninstalled every thing.
    >
    > Downloaded the latest from SUN, now when ever I go to a page, when the java
    > applets are loading the IE windows close and dump me back to the desktop.
    >
    > Have uninstalled and re installed inc a new download from sun, and get the
    > same.
    >
    > Tried to install MS VM instead, but can't get it to load.
    >
    > OS is XP SP2
    > Any ideas??. Or locations of old java installs I could try?

    I would do a complete uninstall of MS VM and Sun, and start again
    with Sun. Just had to do that here. I find the latest Java a bit
    slower loading, but more reliable.

    p.
    Paul_B, Aug 9, 2005
  4. PhilÅ

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 21:59:49 GMT, "PhilÃ…" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >My Java is screwed, had issues, so uninstalled every thing.
    >
    >Downloaded the latest from SUN, now when ever I go to a page, when the java
    >applets are loading the IE windows close and dump me back to the desktop.
    >
    >Have uninstalled and re installed inc a new download from sun, and get the
    >same.
    >
    >Tried to install MS VM instead, but can't get it to load.
    >
    >OS is XP SP2
    >Any ideas??. Or locations of old java installs I could try?

    To completely remove the Microsoft JVM, perform the following steps:

    Copy and paste the below line into the Start, Run box:

    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall

    Click Yes to the confirmation, then select Reboot.
    After the machine restarts, delete the following items:
    1 - the \%systemroot%\java folder
    2 - java.pnf from the \%systemroot%\inf folder
    3 - jview.exe and wjview.exe from the \%systemroot%\system32 folder
    4 - The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM registry subkey
    5 - The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM registry
    subkey (to remove the Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) options)

    Microsoft Java is now removed.

    You can download Sun's newer JVM for Windows at http://java.sun.com/getjava/index.html.
    Unk, Aug 9, 2005