    not show in Control Panel. It is not recognised as installed by programs
    requiring it including Internet Explorer 7 (32-bit).
    Any suggestions appreciated

    John Barnes, Oct 12, 2006

  2. John Barnes

    Jane C Guest

    John, I gave up on installing the x64 version as it is next to useless.
    Install the standard x86 one. Then you will get Java functionality in IE 32
    bit. Make sure it's the Java 6 Beta 2 formerly codenamed Mustang.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation :)

    Jane C, Oct 12, 2006

  3. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks Jane. I am installing the same version as I installed on X64, which
    works, as you said, on the 32-bit IE only. On Vista64 it installs, but is
    invisible except on programs installed (control panel)
    jre-6-beta2-windows-amd64.exe

    John Barnes, Oct 12, 2006
  4. John Barnes

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    That is the 64-bit version (given away by the "amd64" in the filename).
    Download the 32-bit version instead, it should work like you expect.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Oct 12, 2006
  5. John:
    Both Java 1.5 and 1.6 do not support the browser plug-in

    J2SE(TM) Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 9 can be downloaded here:
    https://sdlc6b.sun.com/ECom/EComActionServlet;jsessionid=F900FF25CAD1297904277F4AB6D9BFFE
    And these are the supported system configurations
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/system-configurations.html

    Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6 Beta 2 can be downloaded here:
    https://sdlc5c.sun.com/ECom/EComActionServlet;jsessionid=71E9FC9001CABC14A1C4B09496F8D4E9
    And these are the supported system configurations
    http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/install/system-configurations.html
    Footnote says:
    "64-bit support for Java Plug-in software is currently not available"

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 12, 2006
  6. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks. That did it. I didn't have that in my download file and couldn't
    get a hit on beta on the Java site, but I did find a link in programs
    installed.

    John Barnes, Oct 12, 2006