    --
    James

    , Aug 8, 2005

  2. why? Guest

    On 8 Aug 2005 15:37:19 -0700, wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I seem to be having a problem with any java-based applications (not

    It has a problem detecting 1_5_0 JRE, maybe a bit of an update is
    required, although it is okay.

    >applets - they work fine). Software such as FreeMind and Azureus will

    Not blocked by firewall / av software?

    >install correctly, and even load without a hitch. The only problem is
    >they all just show a blank window.

    No errors if you check the Java Console?

    Control Panel / Java
    Check the settings, for example I have installed
    1.4.2_07
    1.4.1_05
    1.5.0_01

    But only 2 of those are enabled.

    Check the advanced options.

    >i.e. The dialog is there, with correct title and min/max/close buttons,
    >can be resized and moved, but inside is just...nothing. No controls,
    >nothing works by tabbing, or entering text or pushing enter.
    >
    >I assume it is an error with java - I have the latest java downloaded
    >of the automatic updater on the www.java.com web page. I have had a
    >good search on Google and found it could be my ATI drivers (Catalyst
    >5.7), and a few posts recommend I use the java flag:

    Update drivers?

    >-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false
    >
    >I have come across this post:
    >http://forums.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?forumID=57&messageID=2366955&threadID=500656
    >although it doesn't offer a solution that works for me.
    >
    >Any pointers would be appreciated, thank you.

    Blank Java windows tend to be video drivers or JRE version conflicts or
    PCs with MS JVM & Sun JRE/JVM and issues with applet tags. Which
    possibly means I have been lucky it's only been those 3 issues.

    Me

    why?, Aug 9, 2005

  3. Guest

    why? wrote:

    > Not blocked by firewall / av software?

    Nope, tried with both disabled.

    > No errors if you check the Java Console?

    Even the Java console shows just a blank window.

    > Control Panel / Java

    Blank!

    > Check the settings, for example I have installed
    > 1.4.2_07
    > 1.4.1_05
    > 1.5.0_01
    >
    > But only 2 of those are enabled.
    >
    > Check the advanced options.

    I can't see anything in the window :/

    > Update drivers?

    5.7 is the latest.

    > Blank Java windows tend to be video drivers or JRE version conflicts or
    > PCs with MS JVM & Sun JRE/JVM and issues with applet tags. Which
    > possibly means I have been lucky it's only been those 3 issues.

    How would I go about checking to see if I have MS JVM installed?

    Thanks for the help

    --
    James

    , Aug 9, 2005
  4. why? Guest

    On 8 Aug 2005 23:47:12 -0700, wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >>
    >> Not blocked by firewall / av software?
    >>

    >Nope, tried with both disabled.
    >

    >> No errors if you check the Java Console?
    >>

    >Even the Java console shows just a blank window.
    >

    >> Control Panel / Java
    >>

    >Blank!

    If you don't see the Java icon in Control Panel, then there is some
    install issue.

    <snip>

    >> Update drivers?
    >>

    >5.7 is the latest.

    ago.

    >> Blank Java windows tend to be video drivers or JRE version conflicts or
    >> PCs with MS JVM & Sun JRE/JVM and issues with applet tags. Which
    >> possibly means I have been lucky it's only been those 3 issues.

    >How would I go about checking to see if I have MS JVM installed?

    Open a CMD prompt.

    jview

    It's the top line , looks something like
    Microsoft (R) Command-line Loader for Java Version 5.00.3810

    Sun is,

    java -version

    There may be 1.5 version of this , but it's still worth a read
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/deployment/deployment-guide/upgrade-guide/
    I am very impressed , replaced the 4.2 by 5.0 and it worked and
    displayed the same page :)

    >Thanks for the help

    YW

    Lots of info here
    http://javatester.org/installing.html
    Test page
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

    Me

    why?, Aug 9, 2005
  5. Paul_B Guest

    On 8 Aug 2005 23:47:12 -0700, wrote:

    > How would I go about checking to see if I have MS JVM installed?

    Another way is to look under Advanced tab of Internet Options, MS
    VM will be listed there if it's installed.

    p.

    Paul_B, Aug 9, 2005
  6. Guest

    > If you don't see the Java icon in Control Panel, then there is some
    > install issue.

    I see the icon and it opens, but the window it displays suffers from
    the same problem - it is just a blank, white empty window.

    > ago.

    I have had this problem for a while, at least 5.2. I'm sure I've had
    issues even prior to this, but I've never used any Java applications so
    it wasn't a problem.

    > Open a CMD prompt.
    >
    > jview
    >
    > It's the top line , looks something like
    > Microsoft (R) Command-line Loader for Java Version 5.00.3810
    >
    > Sun is,
    >
    > java -version

    After trying the above, jview gives an unknown command (so I presume I
    do not have MS JVM). "java -version" shows the following:

    java version "1.5.0_04"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_04-b05)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_04-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

    I do not believe I have an install issue as I've downloaded the offline
    installtion and it went without a hitch - didn't throw any errors.

    I'm completely stumped!

    --
    James

    , Aug 9, 2005
  7. Guest

    wrote:

    |>> If you don't see the Java icon in Control Panel, then there is some
    |>> install issue.
    |>
    |>I see the icon and it opens, but the window it displays suffers from
    |>the same problem - it is just a blank, white empty window.

    |>> ago.
    |>
    |>I have had this problem for a while, at least 5.2. I'm sure I've had
    |>issues even prior to this, but I've never used any Java applications so
    |>it wasn't a problem.
    |>
    |>> Open a CMD prompt.
    |>>
    |>> jview
    |>>
    |>> It's the top line , looks something like
    |>> Microsoft (R) Command-line Loader for Java Version 5.00.3810
    |>>
    |>> Sun is,
    |>>
    |>> java -version
    |>
    |>After trying the above, jview gives an unknown command (so I presume I
    |>do not have MS JVM). "java -version" shows the following:
    |>
    |>java version "1.5.0_04"
    |>Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_04-b05)
    |>Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_04-b05, mixed mode, sharing)
    |>
    |>I do not believe I have an install issue as I've downloaded the offline
    |>installtion and it went without a hitch - didn't throw any errors.
    |>
    |>I'm completely stumped!

    Shot in the dark, Open the control panel and double click on the java
    applet.

    Under Java, select view on java applications and make sure both user
    and system are enabled.
    --

    , Aug 9, 2005
  8. Guest

    wrote:
    > Shot in the dark, Open the control panel and double click on the java
    > applet.
    >
    > Under Java, select view on java applications and make sure both user
    > and system are enabled.

    I'd love too...but even the control panel applet is a blank window :mad:

    --
    James

    , Aug 9, 2005
  9. Guest

    wrote:

    |> wrote:
    |>> Shot in the dark, Open the control panel and double click on the java
    |>> applet.
    |>>
    |>> Under Java, select view on java applications and make sure both user
    |>> and system are enabled.

    |>I'd love too...but even the control panel applet is a blank window :mad:

    Since were taking pot shots at it, this is the command line to load
    the applet.

    "E:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\javaw.exe" -classpath
    "E:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\..\lib\deploy.jar";"E:\Program
    Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\..\lib\plugin.jar"
    -Djavaplugin.version=1.5.0_02 -Djavaplugin.nodotversion=150_02
    -Duser.home="E:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR DIR NAME>"
    com.sun.deploy.panel.ControlPanel

    So... make sure you have javaw.exe, deploy.jar, and plugin.jar on your
    computer. (and in the proper path).
    If not reinstall.
    --

    , Aug 9, 2005
  10. Guest

    OK I ran each command, here's the results (all paths confirmed):

    "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\javaw.exe" -classpath
    ^ Showed the Java Application Cache Viewer...which was a blank, empty
    window.

    "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\lib\deploy.jar"
    ^ Gave the following error, "Failed to load Main-Class manifest
    attribute from C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\lib\deploy.jar"

    "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\lib\plugin.jar"
    -Djavaplugin.version=1.5.0_04 -Djavaplugin.nodotversion=150_04
    -Duser.home="C:\Documents and Settings\James"
    com.sun.deploy.panel.ControlPanel
    ^ Gave the following error, "Failed to load Main-Class manifest
    attribute from C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\lib\plugin.jar"

    Not sure I understood the additional flags (if I used them correctly)
    so I tried without, but same error. Looks like we're getting somewhere!

    --
    James

    , Aug 9, 2005
  11. Guest

    wrote:

    |>OK I ran each command, here's the results (all paths confirmed):
    |>
    |>"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\javaw.exe" -classpath
    |>^ Showed the Java Application Cache Viewer...which was a blank, empty
    |>window.
    |>
    |>"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\lib\deploy.jar"
    |>^ Gave the following error, "Failed to load Main-Class manifest
    |>attribute from C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\lib\deploy.jar"
    |>
    |>"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\lib\plugin.jar"
    |>-Djavaplugin.version=1.5.0_04 -Djavaplugin.nodotversion=150_04
    |>-Duser.home="C:\Documents and Settings\James"
    |>com.sun.deploy.panel.ControlPanel
    |>^ Gave the following error, "Failed to load Main-Class manifest
    |>attribute from C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\lib\plugin.jar"
    |>
    |>Not sure I understood the additional flags (if I used them correctly)
    |>so I tried without, but same error. Looks like we're getting somewhere!

    Think so? :)

    I google'd "Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute" and got
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/jar/basics/run.html for one.

    Reading that, I'd delete deploy.jar and plugin.jar and replace them
    with the same extracted from the JAVA download.
    --

    , Aug 9, 2005
  12. Guest

    Well, I've tried replacing them but couldn't find the originals
    anywhere, just have an installer. So I uninstalled, rebooted,
    reinstalled, rebooted - same problem. I went onto the control panel app
    (still blank), hit tab a few times randomly then hit enter. Pop! The
    About box appeared...although it too was blank.

    If it helps I can send a screenshot of the problem...

    --
    James

    , Aug 9, 2005
  13. Guest

    wrote:

    |>Well, I've tried replacing them but couldn't find the originals
    |>anywhere, just have an installer. So I uninstalled, rebooted,
    |>reinstalled, rebooted - same problem. I went onto the control panel app
    |>(still blank), hit tab a few times randomly then hit enter. Pop! The
    |>About box appeared...although it too was blank.
    |>
    |>If it helps I can send a screenshot of the problem...

    I can't extract them either they are in an installer package
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4.msi

    Replacing those files and make sure the path is set,
    In a Command window type in: SET
    you should have the following:
    CLASSPATH=<drive>:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

    Other than that, ???, I gave it my best shot.

    --

    , Aug 9, 2005
  14. why? Guest

    On 9 Aug 2005 13:31:32 -0700, wrote:

    >Well, I've tried replacing them but couldn't find the originals
    >anywhere, just have an installer. So I uninstalled, rebooted,
    >reinstalled, rebooted - same problem. I went onto the control panel app
    >(still blank), hit tab a few times randomly then hit enter. Pop! The
    >About box appeared...although it too was blank.

    Still seems like a video issue.

    >If it helps I can send a screenshot of the problem...

    Look in the sytem32 folder for something like the JRE install logs (text
    files)

    jupdate-1.5.0_01-b08.log

    They list the files and a status message at the end.

    Move C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JRE15~1.0_0 to C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01
    INFO: Java(TM) Update (1.5.0_01-b08) has been installed successfully on
    this machine.

    Me

    why?, Aug 10, 2005
  15. Guest

    Move C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JRE15~2.0_0 to C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02
    INFO: Java(TM) Update (1.5.0_02-b09) has been installed successfully on
    this machine.

    No errors in the log

    If it is a video driver problem, how can it be resolved? ATI forums
    yielded no results. Java forums did give a few, but none showing how to
    sort the problem out - only other people with the same. I do have ATI
    Tray Tools running, although even if I restore settings to default and
    close it the problem persists.

    --
    James

    , Aug 10, 2005
  16. why? Guest

    On 10 Aug 2005 05:42:34 -0700, wrote:

    >Move C:\PROGRA~1\Java\JRE15~2.0_0 to C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02
    >INFO: Java(TM) Update (1.5.0_02-b09) has been installed successfully on
    >this machine.
    >
    >No errors in the log

    At least that's okay.

    >If it is a video driver problem, how can it be resolved? ATI forums

    I finally stopped using ATI cards.

    >yielded no results. Java forums did give a few, but none showing how to
    >sort the problem out - only other people with the same. I do have ATI
    >Tray Tools running, although even if I restore settings to default and
    >close it the problem persists.

    Remove the ATI drivers, drop back to default MS Standard VGA, even if
    all you get is 800x600 256cols.

    Me

    why?, Aug 11, 2005
  17. Guest

    I had the same problem but lowered my hardware acceleration and
    everything works groovey.

    Good luck.

    , Aug 31, 2005
  18. ellis_jay Guest

    wrote:
    > I had the same problem but lowered my hardware acceleration and
    > everything works groovey.
    >
    > Good luck.

    What do you mean by "acceleration" ?

    Ellis_jay

    ellis_jay, Aug 31, 2005
  19. Guest

    For me to change my hardware acceleration.

    Right click desktop, properties, settings, advanced, troubleshoot,
    hardware acceleration.

    , Aug 31, 2005