    I added a link for the java plugin to my
    ~/firefox/plugins directory using :-
    ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_08/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so

    Now when I use to Firefox to look at www.adslguide.org
    it just shuts-down the browser. Other sites seem to be
    ok. I was going to use ADSLGuide's Speed Test just to
    check my Java was working. If I remove the link it all
    works fine again (obviously not Java sites).

    I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.6 under Mandriva 2005LE. Where
    do I go looking for any hint of what's going on?

    Regards,
    Andy J.
    Andy J., Aug 28, 2006

  2. Andy J.

    gwtc Guest

    Andy J. wrote:
    > OK,
    >
    > I installed Java (JRE 1-5-0-08), that seems to
    > be installed ok.
    > Following the instructions on the Firefox web-site
    > I added a link for the java plugin to my
    > ~/firefox/plugins directory using :-
    > ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_08/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    >
    > Now when I use to Firefox to look at www.adslguide.org
    > it just shuts-down the browser. Other sites seem to be
    > ok. I was going to use ADSLGuide's Speed Test just to
    > check my Java was working. If I remove the link it all
    > works fine again (obviously not Java sites).
    >
    > I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.6 under Mandriva 2005LE. Where
    > do I go looking for any hint of what's going on?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Andy J.

    in the address bar type in about:plugins and see if the java files are
    there. There's about 6 or 7 of them, it might be different under
    linux. If they are there, check under Tools, Options, Content, and
    make sure that Java is checked. If it is then go here and see if the
    java works: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml. If not,
    then there's some instructions on that page on what to do to get it
    working.

    --
    Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

    For high blood pressure sufferers: simply cut yourself and bleed for a
    few minutes, thus reducing the pressure in your veins. Remember to use
    a timer.
    gwtc, Aug 28, 2006

  3. Andy J.

    Andy J. Guest

    gwtc wrote:

    > in the address bar type in about:plugins and see if the java files are
    > there. There's about 6 or 7 of them, it might be different under
    > linux. If they are there, check under Tools, Options, Content, and make
    > sure that Java is checked. If it is then go here and see if the java
    > works: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml. If not, then
    > there's some instructions on that page on what to do to get it working.

    Thanks gwtc. There was no specific answer but I figured it out by
    reading some of the other FAQ's on that page. Most of the instructions
    refer to Mozilla and either pre ver1.2 or post ver1.4
    It seems that for Firefox you read as post ver1.4 in which case I
    needed the library under the ns7 directory and not (as the original
    instructions suggested) the one under the ns7-gcc directory.

    Thanks again,

    Andy.
    Andy J., Aug 28, 2006