    I wondered why there wasn't a java32 and a java 64 automatically part of
    the set up.
    Rose

    RoseW, Nov 2, 2009

  2. Java is not part of the Windows install package. Microsoft used to
    include it version with early versions of XP but Sun filed a law suit
    again them because the two were totally compatible. Microsoft agreed to
    not distribute any version of Java and that's where we are at today.

    If you go to www.java.com you can download both versions for use with
    64-bit Windows.

    See info @ http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 2, 2009

  3. RoseW

    RoseW Guest

    On 02/11/2009 5:52 PM, Bobby Johnson wrote:
    > Java is not part of the Windows install package. Microsoft used to
    > include it version with early versions of XP but Sun filed a law suit
    > again them because the two were totally compatible. Microsoft agreed to
    > not distribute any version of Java and that's where we are at today.
    >
    > If you go to www.java.com you can download both versions for use with
    > 64-bit Windows.
    >
    > See info @ http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml

    Thanks for clearing that grey area up. I can recall doing the java
    downloads a long time ago.
    I guess when java does its checking it doesn't bother with the 64 side
    for the 'check version' just repoorted that I was up to date.
    I wonder how the automatic updates would be handled if both java for 64
    and for 32 were installed.
    I guess I'll deal with it when Firefox gets round to having a 64bit
    software <grin>
    Rose

    RoseW, Nov 3, 2009