Japanese import car - translations wanted for symbols

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John S., Oct 12, 2005.

  1. John S.

    John S. Guest

    Recently I bought a used Japanese import 2001 Toyota Prius
    hybrid.

    Much of the lcd screen display information is in Japanese
    characters, as are some of the control panel markings.

    I would like to make contact with someone who would be willing to
    translate the symbols for me (if I supply digital photos of the
    various symbols).

    If anyone can help directly, or put me in touch with someone I
    would be grateful.

    cheers,

    John Selby.

    PS I was originally hoping that there may be a software setting
    somewhere which would switch the lcd screen output language from
    Japanese to English, but my enquiries on that so far have drawn a
    blank.
    John S., Oct 12, 2005

  2. John S.

    EMB Guest

    John S. wrote:
    > Recently I bought a used Japanese import 2001 Toyota Prius
    > hybrid.

    Try http://www.cleangreencar.co.nz for an English manual, and if anyone
    knows about changing the display they will.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Oct 12, 2005

  3. John S.

    PAM. Guest

    "John S." <> wrote in message
    > Much of the lcd screen display information is in Japanese
    > characters, as are some of the control panel markings.
    >
    > I would like to make contact with someone who would be willing to
    > translate the symbols for me (if I supply digital photos of the
    > various symbols).
    >
    > If anyone can help directly, or put me in touch with someone I
    > would be grateful.

    Where's you sense of adventure. Press them and see what happens :)

    PAM.
    PAM., Oct 12, 2005
  4. John S.

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <5dg3f.96$>,
    says...
    > "John S." <> wrote in message
    > > Much of the lcd screen display information is in Japanese
    > > characters, as are some of the control panel markings.
    > >
    > > I would like to make contact with someone who would be willing to
    > > translate the symbols for me (if I supply digital photos of the
    > > various symbols).
    > >
    > > If anyone can help directly, or put me in touch with someone I
    > > would be grateful.

    > Where's you sense of adventure. Press them and see what happens :)

    You're a DBA's worst nightmare.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 13, 2005
  5. John S.

    --Newsman-- Guest

    On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:30:16 GMT, (John S.) wrote:

    >Recently I bought a used Japanese import 2001 Toyota Prius
    >hybrid.
    >
    >Much of the lcd screen display information is in Japanese
    >characters, as are some of the control panel markings.

    They all translate identically:

    "Hello Sucker!"

    "This car is fraudulently presented and sold to you, which behaviour
    is condoned by NZ customs."
    --Newsman--, Oct 13, 2005
  6. John S.

    Rider Guest

    "--Newsman--" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:30:16 GMT, (John S.) wrote:
    >
    >>Recently I bought a used Japanese import 2001 Toyota Prius
    >>hybrid.
    >>
    >>Much of the lcd screen display information is in Japanese
    >>characters, as are some of the control panel markings.

    > They all translate identically:
    >
    > "Hello Sucker!"
    >
    > "This car is fraudulently presented and sold to you, which behaviour
    > is condoned by NZ customs."

    Someone sounds a bit 'bitter' eh

    LoL
    Rider, Oct 13, 2005
  7. John S.

    PAM. Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > You're a DBA's worst nightmare.

    I'm a (ex-) programmer :)

    Whenever I install anything onto my PC the first place I go is
    preferences/tools/options to see what I can do/tweak.

    Fiddling is a good way to learn :)

    PAM.
    PAM., Oct 13, 2005
  8. John S.

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <7hj3f.131$>,
    says...
    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > You're a DBA's worst nightmare.

    > I'm a (ex-) programmer :)
    >
    > Whenever I install anything onto my PC the first place I go is
    > preferences/tools/options to see what I can do/tweak.
    >
    > Fiddling is a good way to learn :)

    Didn't you just hate it - when people come along to check out and marvel
    at your nu app, the sort of people that scoff computers, and begin by
    pressing keys at random - ontop of *your* app.

    Programmers should be allowed to carry guns.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 13, 2005
  9. John S.

    --Newsman-- Guest

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:39:54 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >"--Newsman--" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:30:16 GMT, (John S.) wrote:
    >>
    >>>Recently I bought a used Japanese import 2001 Toyota Prius
    >>>hybrid.
    >>>
    >>>Much of the lcd screen display information is in Japanese
    >>>characters, as are some of the control panel markings.

    >> They all translate identically:
    >>
    >> "Hello Sucker!"
    >>
    >> "This car is fraudulently presented and sold to you, which behaviour
    >> is condoned by NZ customs."

    >Someone sounds a bit 'bitter' eh
    >
    >LoL

    Not at all.

    I've always been amused how tens of thousands of suckers will buy
    these wildly overpriced cast-offs. when I first arrived here I was
    staggered at the daft prices here for Jap bangers compared to where I
    came from. Strangely, too, a suspicious number of them always seemed
    to have what apeared to be the magically emotive and "OK - that's
    reasonable" - 56,000K on them, no matter what their condition or ages!
    *Always* less than 60,000K

    Did you see the article in the SST a couple of months ago? Apparently,
    if you buy a Jap heap for, say, $9,000, you should know that it rolled
    onto the RoRo at a price of no more than $1,500.

    The difference is accounted for by the huge margins raked in for
    shipping, agents, beautifying and tricking-out, and hefty dealer cut.

    The article also concluded with something like this: to know what to
    *insure* your $9,000 car for (for total loss) knock *at least* $4,000
    off what you paid just before you drove it off the dealer's forecourt.
    That's the absolute maximum you could expect to get for it if you were
    immediately to try trading it in elsewhere.
    --Newsman--, Oct 13, 2005
  10. John S.

    Redbaiter Guest

    --Newsman-- says

    > The article also concluded with something like this: to know what to
    > *insure* your $9,000 car for (for total loss) knock *at least* $4,000
    > off what you paid just before you drove it off the dealer's forecourt.
    > That's the absolute maximum you could expect to get for it if you were
    > immediately to try trading it in elsewhere.

    What is this meant to be in your mind? Some kind of amazing
    revelation? Get a life you ignorant miserable patronising old
    fuckwit..
    Redbaiter, Oct 13, 2005
  11. John S.

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <7hj3f.131$>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > I'm a (ex-) programmer :)
    > >
    > > Whenever I install anything onto my PC the first place I go is
    > > preferences/tools/options to see what I can do/tweak.
    > >
    > > Fiddling is a good way to learn :)

    > Didn't you just hate it - when people come along to check out and marvel
    > at your nu app, the sort of people that scoff computers, and begin by
    > pressing keys at random - ontop of *your* app.

    Heh, they're called test analysts!

    Sue Bilstein, Oct 13, 2005
  12. John S.

    Mercury Guest

    what is SST?
    Which country are you comparing to?
    Australia where cars are hugely more expensive subsidising local
    manufacturers?

    Your rule does not seem to work.Explain how a $11,000 car stolen and written
    off can be insured for full replacement and that is what the person I know
    got?

    Mercury, Oct 13, 2005
  13. John S.

    EMB Guest

    Mercury wrote:
    > what is SST?

    Sunday Star Times

    > Which country are you comparing to?
    > Australia where cars are hugely more expensive subsidising local
    > manufacturers?

    I'm guessing UK. Used cars there are definitely cheaper than here - and
    with how quickly they rot on the salted roads they bloody well should be.

    > Your rule does not seem to work.Explain how a $11,000 car stolen and written
    > off can be insured for full replacement and that is what the person I know
    > got?

    Most insurance companies will replace for purchase price for the first X
    months and after that "market value" which as Newsman says if often
    significantly less than the purchase price. Unless, of course you have
    an agreed value policy.

    Worse is that if the car is financed the finance company get paid out by
    the insurance but still want their early repayment penalties which can
    easily toal several thousand dollars - so not only do you have no car
    and no money in your hand, but you still owe the finance company.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Oct 13, 2005
  14. John S.

    Redbaiter Guest

    --Newsman-- says

    > Did you see the article in the SST a couple of months ago? Apparently,
    > if you buy a Jap heap for, say, $9,000, you should know that it rolled
    > onto the RoRo at a price of no more than $1,500.

    Of course, rather than buy a "Jap heap", they could line up for
    a car from a British manufacturer.. eerrr..aaahhh.. there any
    still a round?? My granny tells me the last time she heard of a
    British car was back in the seventies.. Leyland P76 or something
    I think she said... evidently the last gasp of the UK motor
    industry before commie meat heads like Thing Newsman and Dooley
    fucked it for all time.. and then we let them bring their damn
    destructive ideological baggage out here...
    Redbaiter, Oct 13, 2005
  15. John S.

    Mercury Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Mercury wrote:
    >> what is SST?

    > Sunday Star Times

    a newspaper? gosh,fallsinto the believe everything one reads category.

    >> Which country are you comparing to?
    >> Australia where cars are hugely more expensive subsidising local
    >> manufacturers?

    > I'm guessing UK. Used cars there are definitely cheaper than here - and
    > with how quickly they rot on the salted roads they bloody well should be.

    always wondered why the cars there were so cheap 2nd hand when they are as
    expensive new...

    >> Your rule does not seem to work.Explain how a $11,000 car stolen and
    >> written off can be insured for full replacement and that is what the
    >> person I know got?

    > Most insurance companies will replace for purchase price for the first X
    > months and after that "market value" which as Newsman says if often
    > significantly less than the purchase price. Unless, of course you have an
    > agreed value policy.
    >
    > Worse is that if the car is financed the finance company get paid out by
    > the insurance but still want their early repayment penalties which can
    > easily toal several thousand dollars - so not only do you have no car and
    > no money in your hand, but you still owe the finance company.

    she paid cash... and had the car for about a year. depends on policy /
    insurer / prick on end of phone.

    Mercury, Oct 13, 2005
  16. John S.

    Richard Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > Most insurance companies will replace for purchase price for the first X
    > months and after that "market value" which as Newsman says if often
    > significantly less than the purchase price. Unless, of course you have
    > an agreed value policy.
    >
    > Worse is that if the car is financed the finance company get paid out by
    > the insurance but still want their early repayment penalties which can
    > easily toal several thousand dollars - so not only do you have no car
    > and no money in your hand, but you still owe the finance company.

    Thats a risk you take when financing something. If you dont like the peneltys,
    dont finance, pay cash.
    Richard, Oct 13, 2005
  17. John S.

    Richard Guest

    John S. wrote:
    > Recently I bought a used Japanese import 2001 Toyota Prius
    > hybrid.
    >
    > Much of the lcd screen display information is in Japanese
    > characters, as are some of the control panel markings.
    >
    > I would like to make contact with someone who would be willing to
    > translate the symbols for me (if I supply digital photos of the
    > various symbols).
    >
    > If anyone can help directly, or put me in touch with someone I
    > would be grateful.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > John Selby.
    >
    > PS I was originally hoping that there may be a software setting
    > somewhere which would switch the lcd screen output language from
    > Japanese to English, but my enquiries on that so far have drawn a
    > blank.

    Why would they? That car is designed to be used in japan. I am amazed that you
    get any support at all for a car outside its domestic market.

    I was thinking of getting one of those (or the civic hybrid) as my run around
    car since they are only more efficiant in stop start traffic which is what I am
    in all morning and evening.

    But I could get no answers on my concerns

    Whats the life of the batterypack
    Whats the replacement cost of it (cellphones are usually more then a new phone)
    and the main concern with jap imports
    Is the audio system integraded into the other management of the car meaning I
    cant put a proper headdeck into the thing.
    Richard, Oct 13, 2005
  18. John S.

    EMB Guest

    Mercury wrote:

    > she paid cash... and had the car for about a year. depends on policy /
    > insurer / prick on end of phone.

    And even more on the assessor who looks at the remnants and decides on a
    pre-accident value.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Oct 13, 2005
  19. John S.

    Richard Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Mercury wrote:
    >
    >> she paid cash... and had the car for about a year. depends on policy /
    >> insurer / prick on end of phone.

    > And even more on the assessor who looks at the remnants and decides on a
    > pre-accident value.

    And if you declared _any_ modification to the vehicle at all. Mate got caught
    out because he hadnt declared a towbar, and it wasnt covered when he got
    rearended. I quickly called and told them about mine, made no difference to the
    premium but better safe then sorry.
    Richard, Oct 13, 2005
  20. John S.

    EMB Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Why would they? That car is designed to be used in japan. I am amazed
    > that you get any support at all for a car outside its domestic market.

    Toyota sell the Prius here now so it's fully supported.

    > I was thinking of getting one of those (or the civic hybrid) as my run
    > around car since they are only more efficiant in stop start traffic
    > which is what I am in all morning and evening.
    >
    > But I could get no answers on my concerns
    >
    > Whats the life of the batterypack

    Honda state 10 years.

    > Whats the replacement cost of it (cellphones are usually more then a new
    > phone)

    About $4000 at present but dropping fairly rapidly.

    > and the main concern with jap imports
    > Is the audio system integraded into the other management of the car
    > meaning I cant put a proper headdeck into the thing.

    IIRC (but it's a while since I looked at one) it's not integrated in the
    Prius.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Oct 13, 2005