  1. Why are some newsgroups not showing their messages when I subscribe?
    For instance, the messages for "japan.netnews.crime" are hidden to my
    computer.

    do-not-disturb, Mar 26, 2009

  2. do-not-disturb

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-26, do-not-disturb <> wrote:
    > Why are some newsgroups not showing their messages when I subscribe?
    > For instance, the messages for "japan.netnews.crime" are hidden to my
    > computer.

    Could it be that there are no messages? Google's archive has two posts
    for that group last year (both in November), 10 in the whole of 2007, and
    not many more in earlier years. If your news-server has purged articles
    older than 4 or 5 months, there will be no articles for your newsreader to
    fetch.

    There are many newsgroups that get little or no traffic.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 27, 2009

  3. do-not-disturb

    1PW Guest

    On 03/26/2009 02:52 PM, do-not-disturb sent:
    > Why are some newsgroups not showing their messages when I subscribe? For
    > instance, the messages for "japan.netnews.crime" are hidden to my computer.

    The last reputable post may have been in early November of 2008. Many
    NNTP providers will not keep posts for a very long time to conserve
    their free space in their disk farms.

    Try posting something relevant and see if you can wake the newsgroup up
    again. But don't post something like "Why aren't you damn people
    posting here?" Be creative.

    Pete
    --
    1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    1PW, Mar 27, 2009
  4. do-not-disturb

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-27, 1PW <> wrote:
    > On 03/26/2009 02:52 PM, do-not-disturb sent:
    >> Why are some newsgroups not showing their messages when I subscribe? For
    >> instance, the messages for "japan.netnews.crime" are hidden to my computer.

    > The last reputable post may have been in early November of 2008. Many
    > NNTP providers will not keep posts for a very long time to conserve
    > their free space in their disk farms.
    >
    > Try posting something relevant and see if you can wake the newsgroup up
    > again. But don't post something like "Why aren't you damn people
    > posting here?" Be creative.
    >
    > Pete

    Perhaps Japanese criminals have found they prefer not to post their plans
    to newsgroups?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 27, 2009
  5. do-not-disturb <> promulgated this using

    > Why are some newsgroups not showing their messages when I subscribe?
    > For instance, the messages for "japan.netnews.crime" are hidden to my
    > computer.

    Because Dumojasan Akinakasaki has the streets TOTALLY cleaned up
    ever since the 1995 movie.... And now Hiro is on the job!

    --

    I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and I am
    NOT the Octo-Momma's baby-daddy!

    Get some purdy wimmins what are not yer seester or yer couzin
    in yer truck without even using up any of your tranquilizer darts :

    http://www.psy.ritsumei.ac.jp/~akitaoka/colorspiralillusion01.jpg

    Bucky Breeder, Mar 27, 2009
  6. Whiskers <> promulgated this using

    > On 2009-03-27, 1PW <> wrote:
    >> On 03/26/2009 02:52 PM, do-not-disturb sent:
    >>> Why are some newsgroups not showing their messages when I subscribe?
    >>> For instance, the messages for "japan.netnews.crime" are hidden to my
    >>> computer.

    >> The last reputable post may have been in early November of 2008. Many
    >> NNTP providers will not keep posts for a very long time to conserve
    >> their free space in their disk farms.
    >>
    >> Try posting something relevant and see if you can wake the newsgroup up
    >> again. But don't post something like "Why aren't you damn people
    >> posting here?" Be creative.
    >>
    >> Pete

    > Perhaps Japanese criminals have found they prefer not to post their
    > plans to newsgroups?

    May Allah help us all if they form a "kentucky.netnews.crime" group...
    all about how to rob the next-door 7-11 and rape yer cozins and yer
    seesters.

    Bucky Breeder, Mar 27, 2009