    directions from Grants Pass to Gold Beach, Yahoo and MapQuest both recommend
    taking the same, safer highway route, while Google suggests a shortcut
    through roads that become dangerous in winter.

    Cheeky Bastard, Dec 9, 2006

  2. Perhaps he did have a GPS with him, but it wouldn't have helped.

    As it turns out, what happened was that he literally came to a "fork in
    the road", a valid road that would have been shown on a GPS map, and
    that went where he wanted to go, so he took it. But that road is
    supposed to be closed from late October until April, and there is a gate
    to close the road, and it had been closed with a chain and pad lock on
    the gate. Well, some vandals had cut the padlock/chain, and the gate
    had swung open (or was opened by the same people who cut the
    chain/padlock). So seeing a valid road that went where he wanted to go,
    he took it. GPS would not have helped, it would have shown him where he
    was and it would have shown the road going to where he wanted to go.
    But the road is dangerous in the winter (which is why it was supposed to
    have been closed), his van slid off the road and got stuck off the road
    and, well, you know the rest of the story. The only thing that would
    have helped him would have been a working cell phone. He had a cell
    phone, but there is no cell phone coverage in the remote,
    little-traveled region where all of this occured.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 9, 2006

  3. Cheeky Bastard

    Guest

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    > have helped him would have been a working cell phone. He had a cell
    > phone, but there is no cell phone coverage in the remote,
    > little-traveled region where all of this occured.

    I'm just waiting for the liberals to jump up and down and insist that
    every new vehicle sold in the United States include a 406MHz PLB.

    , Dec 9, 2006
  4. Cheeky Bastard

    Notan Guest

    wrote:

    > Barry Watzman wrote:
    >
    > > have helped him would have been a working cell phone. He had a cell
    > > phone, but there is no cell phone coverage in the remote,
    > > little-traveled region where all of this occured.

    > I'm just waiting for the liberals to jump up and down and insist that
    > every new vehicle sold in the United States include a 406MHz PLB.

    Cool option!

    Notan

    Notan, Dec 9, 2006
  5. Cheeky Bastard

    El Kabong Guest

    I'm holding out for WiMAX VOIP. It's popping up everywhere else in the world
    but here. Could American telcos be the bottleneck?

    El

    El Kabong, Dec 9, 2006
  6. Cheeky Bastard

    Guest

    Notan wrote:

    > > > have helped him would have been a working cell phone. He had a cell
    > > > phone, but there is no cell phone coverage in the remote,

    > > I'm just waiting for the liberals to jump up and down and insist that
    > > every new vehicle sold in the United States include a 406MHz PLB.

    > Cool option!

    Let's not forget the $0.75-in-the-dollar income tax appropriation that
    would be required to fund all the false alarms.

    , Dec 9, 2006
  7. Cheeky Bastard

    Notan Guest

    wrote:

    > > > I'm just waiting for the liberals to jump up and down and insist that
    > > > every new vehicle sold in the United States include a 406MHz PLB.

    > > Cool option!

    > Let's not forget the $0.75-in-the-dollar income tax appropriation that
    > would be required to fund all the false alarms.

    What false alarms?

    You hit the button, you pay.

    Notan

    Notan, Dec 9, 2006
  8. Mr. Kim did exactly the correct things. He waited at the break down spot.
    When it became apparent that rescue was not imminent he tried to hike out.
    His biggest mistake was leaving the road and trying to follow the creek.
    (But, with hypothermia, you don't always think straight.) The scale on the
    map was not there or not correct. He hiked 10 miles, no easy feat in the
    snow and cold, thinking the small town was 4 miles away. As to gadgets, a
    portable - 5 Watt CB might have assisted, had he hiked up to the top of a
    hill. Other survival equipment probably should have been carried. (A
    survival bag with water, food, fire making stuff, saw, rope, tarp, etc..
    should be in every car along with a first aid kit. You never know what you
    might encounter when away from home. Earthquake, flood, or various
    emergency situation.) If we were to fault him for that, we have to fault
    99% of the population.

    Richard Johnson, Dec 9, 2006
  9. Cheeky Bastard

    El Kabong Guest

    I don't think (at least I hope not) anyone was faulting Mr. Kim. But a
    critical evaluation of the circumstances is most certainly in order. To do
    otherwise is to invite another tragedy.

    This might be a good time to buy stock in OnStar. Would OnStar have saved
    him? How many vehicles in America have it? Is there 100% coverage across the
    country?

    Just wondering.

    El

    El Kabong, Dec 9, 2006
  10. I'm not sure that trying to hike out was ever the right idea. He had
    minimal clothing, and only tennis shoes, in an area where the
    temperatures were substantially below freezing with snow. He wasn't
    going camping, it wasn't expected to be a survival situation. Most of
    us don't carry survival equipment in our car.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 9, 2006
  11. Yes, I believe I made that point when I said 99% of the population did not
    carry survival stuff, or have a well thought out emergency kit. I for one
    do carry one in all 4 of my vehicles. I figured out that should an
    emergency situation happen like the Northridge earthquake, or some other
    emergency situation happen, it would be better to be able to survive for 3
    to 4 days without any help, perhaps longer by going to half rations. I keep
    a kit in each car in a sports bag in the trunk. The only thing I have
    trouble with is rotating the ration food, as I don't normally eat the
    granola bars, nuts, jerky, and hard candy, and the vitamins. I do rotate
    the water though. I am suprised that no one picked up on the old tech of a
    CB, and realized had the carried one, they might have been out of the woods
    in a couple of hours.

    Richard Johnson, Dec 9, 2006
  12. Cheeky Bastard

    DaveF Guest

    On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 18:12:32 GMT, "El Kabong"
    <> wrote:

    >I don't think (at least I hope not) anyone was faulting Mr. Kim. But a
    >critical evaluation of the circumstances is most certainly in order. To do
    >otherwise is to invite another tragedy.
    >
    >This might be a good time to buy stock in OnStar. Would OnStar have saved
    >him? How many vehicles in America have it? Is there 100% coverage across the
    >country?
    >
    >Just wondering.
    >
    >El

    On Star is basically a cell phone combined with a GPS receiver. The
    Kim family's cell phone was out of range at that location his wife
    reported.

    DaveF

    DaveF, Dec 9, 2006
  13. Thanks Barry,
    Today I see more stories and post about that road and people who know it.
    I gotta tell ya though it's hard to believe that there are still people out
    there that don't pre-plan trips.
    I use to drive tractor trailer so I'm used to mapping and listening to the
    weather reports but I still recall the day I had a laptop on the counter at
    the truckstop and a older driver asked what the hell is that thing? and I
    told him I was Emailing my friends and doing my log book. (I was 21 back
    then)
    Now I sit here and think out of all the toys this guy tested an el-cheapo
    $30 plug into the cigarette lighter Cobra handheld CB could have helped him
    more than any high tech toy we have besides a SAT phone or a gps with the
    emergency locator beacon.

    Sorry the guy died but even campers are making fun of him being a gadget guy
    and not preparing for this trip.
    I guess some of us do spend too much time on the Internet because some of
    the oldest survival tips could have saved him.

    CB

    Cheeky Bastard, Dec 9, 2006
  14. <> wrote in message

    > Barry Watzman wrote:
    >
    >> have helped him would have been a working cell phone. He had a cell
    >> phone, but there is no cell phone coverage in the remote,
    >> little-traveled region where all of this occured.

    > I'm just waiting for the liberals to jump up and down and insist that
    > every new vehicle sold in the United States include a 406MHz PLB.

    Don't laugh too hard. I know a trucker who left home without a map for a
    trip from CT to MI that he should have known because he's made the trip
    before but figured oh my new van has Onstar. Well when it came time to use
    and he called in they told him the system was down!

    Reminds me of that joke "if Microsoft built cars".

    CB

    Cheeky Bastard, Dec 9, 2006
  15. OnStar is a cellular based service. Essentially, it's a GPS combined
    with a cell phone. It would not have helped him, because there was no
    cell phone service in the remote area where the incident occured.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 10, 2006
  16. Well, he was from California, and I do know that quite a few people in
    California do have survival kits in the trunks of their cars for
    earthquakes.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 10, 2006
  17. Cheeky Bastard

    Guest

    Barry Watzman wrote:
    > OnStar is a cellular based service. Essentially, it's a GPS combined
    > with a cell phone. It would not have helped him, because there was no

    Isn't OnStar AMPS-based? It's going to go away with the AMPS networks.

    , Dec 10, 2006
  18. AMPS is, in the broadest sense of the word, part of the Cellular
    network. The point being that where he was, there would have been no
    service. But according to Wikipedia, OnStar uses both AMPS (analog cell
    phone) and CDMA digital service.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 10, 2006
  19. Cheeky Bastard

    Ian Singer Guest

    El Kabong wrote:

    > This might be a good time to buy stock in OnStar. Would OnStar have saved
    > him? How many vehicles in America have it? Is there 100% coverage across the
    > country?

    As an ex-employee it usually routes the most direct way, but has a great
    tendency to direct you round the moon in very weird ways, like via
    Saturn. GM is not interested in performance enhancement suggestions.

    It would NOT have officially helped him as he was not lost. Remember all
    routing except on the newest units is given totally manually.

    Once he was off the road though he may have been able to reach OnStar
    with the emergency button, but don't forget that's via cell phone. Often
    the Analogue will get through when the digital will not, but remember
    they are all being phased out in 2009 (??? I think. Anyone who has
    analogue only that is not upgradeable will be left with no service. If
    there was no cell service where he was that may have also applied to
    Analogue. If the car battery died he would have had no OnStar unless it
    was a SAAB with a backup battery. Also if the weather was bad, and he
    was in the middle of nowhere good luck in trying to get a tow truck to him.

    Knowing the circumstances I would have broken all the rules to make sure
    he got help, but others would not have. I would even call a dealer in
    Hawaii for tech support because they were open, when my customer was
    east coast and all dealers were closed. I have even tried to persuade a
    dealer to pull wheels off a new car to sell to a customer travelling
    through with two bad wheels.

    That level of customer support is not appreciated and so I am no longer
    working there.

    PS It is not supposed to make any difference but the call centre company
    was sold to India.

    Ian Singer, Dec 10, 2006
  20. Cheeky Bastard

    Ian Singer Guest

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    > AMPS is, in the broadest sense of the word, part of the Cellular
    > network. The point being that where he was, there would have been no
    > service. But according to Wikipedia, OnStar uses both AMPS (analog cell
    > phone) and CDMA digital service.

    The first OnStar were Analogue only, the newer ones are
    Analogue/Digital. To the best of my knowledge none of them in North
    America are CDMA.

    The FCC said Analogue no longer needs to be supported after 2009 (?) so
    all Analogue units will lose all service.

    Ian Singer, Dec 10, 2006