James Bond upcoming DVD re-releases - where can I find more info?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Gret, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. Gret

    Gret Guest

    I have a few of the original James Bond DVD releases (not the Special
    Editions) and then most of the other Bonds as Special Editions still
    in the shrinkwrap. Last I heard and could tell from Amazon, most of
    the Bond Special Editions were out of print.

    I remember reading somewhere that MGM was re-releasing the Bond DVDs
    later this year, but I searched around various DVD web sites for any
    detailed Bond DVD info and couldn't find anything.

    Could some tell me of any web sites that have details about the Bond
    DVDs to be re-released soon or could someone summarize MGM's plans?

    In particular, I want to know if they are just going to re-release the
    exact same Special Editions as before or are they going to be
    triple-dipping by making new Special Editions with different content
    on some or all of the Bond movies?

    Please post replies. Thanks.

    Gret, Mar 3, 2005

  2. (Gret) wrote in news::

    > I have a few of the original James Bond DVD releases (not the Special
    > Editions) and then most of the other Bonds as Special Editions still
    > in the shrinkwrap. Last I heard and could tell from Amazon, most of
    > the Bond Special Editions were out of print.
    >
    > I remember reading somewhere that MGM was re-releasing the Bond DVDs
    > later this year, but I searched around various DVD web sites for any
    > detailed Bond DVD info and couldn't find anything.
    >
    > Could some tell me of any web sites that have details about the Bond
    > DVDs to be re-released soon or could someone summarize MGM's plans?
    >
    > In particular, I want to know if they are just going to re-release the
    > exact same Special Editions as before or are they going to be
    > triple-dipping by making new Special Editions with different content
    > on some or all of the Bond movies?

    They've already re-released the current SEs before. The batch on store
    shelves today is actually a re-release of the original SEs, which were
    printed around... 1999-2000, I think. I'm pretty sure they'd just do
    the same thing all over again, as the SEs are really good and it'd be less
    work for them. I'd also be willing to bet they wait for the next movie
    before doing re-releases.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Mar 3, 2005

  3. Gret

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Gret" <> wrote in message
    > In particular, I want to know if they are just going to re-release the
    > exact same Special Editions as before or are they going to be
    > triple-dipping by making new Special Editions with different content
    > on some or all of the Bond movies?

    Supposedly they are remastering all of the Bond films through The World
    is Not Enough from the original film elements. The oldest pictures will
    have digital restoration work done by Lowry Digital.

    The old DVDs are shockingly poor quality when viewed on a large screen.
    I tried to watch Goldfinger and wound up putting my entire Bond
    collection on eBay the very next day.

    The original plan was to release the new discs this year, but that was
    intended to coincide with the theatrical release of the next Bond film,
    which has faced a number of delays and has not even been cast yet, much
    less gone into production.

    Joshua Zyber, Mar 3, 2005
  4. Gret

    Alan Figgatt Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > "Gret" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In particular, I want to know if they are just going to re-release the
    >>exact same Special Editions as before or are they going to be
    >>triple-dipping by making new Special Editions with different content
    >>on some or all of the Bond movies?

    > Supposedly they are remastering all of the Bond films through The World
    > is Not Enough from the original film elements. The oldest pictures will
    > have digital restoration work done by Lowry Digital.
    >
    > The old DVDs are shockingly poor quality when viewed on a large screen.
    > I tried to watch Goldfinger and wound up putting my entire Bond
    > collection on eBay the very next day.
    >
    > The original plan was to release the new discs this year, but that was
    > intended to coincide with the theatrical release of the next Bond film,
    > which has faced a number of delays and has not even been cast yet, much
    > less gone into production.

    I believe it was reported that the major reason for remastering all of
    the Bond films was so they would be ready early on to start releasing
    them in HD-DVD format - or was it Blu-Ray? I can't keep track of which
    studio is backing which format. So perhaps they will have simultaneous
    new DVD and HD releases?

    Alan F

    Alan Figgatt, Mar 3, 2005
  5. Gret

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Alan Figgatt" <> wrote in message
    > I believe it was reported that the major reason for remastering all
    > of the Bond films was so they would be ready early on to start
    > releasing them in HD-DVD format - or was it Blu-Ray? I can't keep
    > track of which studio is backing which format.

    MGM owns the Bond films, and MGM was just bought by Sony, who developed
    Blu-Ray.

    Joshua Zyber, Mar 4, 2005