Jajah - VOIP or not VOIP, that's the question

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Philippe Deleye, Feb 24, 2006.

  1. Have somebody out there already used or subscribed to Jajah?
    http://www.jajah.com/

    Looks very simple: no software needed, no hardware needed:
    Just enter your number (landline, mobile) and the calling number on a web
    page, and both get connceted at "cheap" Voip rates

    Apart from some concerns I have about security (how can they avoid that
    somebody else uses your phonenumber to place calls), I wonder wether this is
    a VOIP service or not.
    In other words: are the 2 landlines connected via the internet, or is it
    really phone to phone

    The info on their website is conflicting:

    a) They say it is VOIP:
    quote"
    JAJAH introduces global VoIP telephony between normal landline and mobile
    phones - without software download, installation process and headsets.

    b) They say it is not VOIP
    quote"
    Is my conversation secured when I use JAJAH?
    Since JAJAH offers phone-to-phone services, the conversation is as secured
    as any other call you make from the same phone.

    Philippe Deleye, Feb 24, 2006

  2. Philippe Deleye

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 08:55:40 +0100, "Philippe Deleye"
    <> wrote:

    >Have somebody out there already used or subscribed to Jajah?
    >http://www.jajah.com/
    >
    >Looks very simple: no software needed, no hardware needed:
    >Just enter your number (landline, mobile) and the calling number on a web
    >page, and both get connceted at "cheap" Voip rates
    >
    >Apart from some concerns I have about security (how can they avoid that
    >somebody else uses your phonenumber

    Simple. It just isn't possible for someone to do that.
    When you place a call it literally is from your landline phone to
    another landline phone - NOT from your computer to a landline phone.
    When you place a call your phone wil ring - when you lift your
    receiver the other party's phone will ring. If you were to enter
    someone elses number then you would be routing them not yourself.
    I suppose, if you were naughty, it would be a good way of connecting
    two other people together for whatever reason you might have.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Feb 24, 2006