    any advice or help will be appreciated, either reply by post or
    E-Mail me at
    Thank You.. Buckwheat..

    Buckwheat, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Buckwheat

    Scott W Guest

    Buckwheat wrote:
    > I don't know if I am in the right group,but maybe there is someone
    > that can help me or lead me the right way.
    >
    > When I take shots of houses,fence lines, The roof lines are

    jagged
    > and wavy, and it makes
    > the printed photo looks bad, is there a solution to this problem, or

    am
    > I doing sometning wrong.
    > any advice or help will be appreciated, either reply by post or
    > E-Mail me at
    > Thank You.. Buckwheat..

    Could you give a bit more detail, what FL lens you were using perhaps.
    The best would be is you could post a link to one of these photos.

    I will take a guess that it might be thermals that you are seeing, if
    you are shooting with a long lens the thermal air currents will often
    distort the image making it look wavy.

    Scott

    Scott W, Mar 10, 2005

  3. Buckwheat

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    Note: Courtesy copy of this followup sent to author via email.

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 21:40:22 -0600, (Buckwheat) wrote:

    > I don't know if I am in the right group,but maybe there is someone
    >that can help me or lead me the right way.
    >
    > When I take shots of houses,fence lines, The roof lines are jagged
    >and wavy, and it makes
    > the printed photo looks bad, is there a solution to this problem, or am
    >I doing sometning wrong.
    > any advice or help will be appreciated, either reply by post or
    >E-Mail me at
    > Thank You.. Buckwheat..

    It sounds like you might be talking about a moire pattern. It happens
    with digital cameras when you are taking a picture of something with a
    lot of parallel straight lines. You can also see it on television if
    someone is wearing a coat with a checkerboard pattern.

    This is one of those places where film wins out over digital. The
    random placements of the chemical salts just don't produce the patterns.
    Some photo processing programs may have the capability of reducing the
    effect.

    Gary

    --
    Gary Edstrom <>
    Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway

    Gary Edstrom, Mar 10, 2005
  4. >>It sounds like you might be talking about a moire pattern.

    Slightly off topic, but only just... I recently tried to scan an old
    pamphlet containing a number of black and white photos. Every single photo
    has come out stripey. My scanner software has some setting to do with moire
    reduction. I tried this and it made an almost imperceptible improvement but
    the pictures were still basically striped. Any suggestions how I can
    overcome this?

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Mar 10, 2005
  5. Buckwheat

    Guest

    Keith Sheppard <> wrote:
    >>>It sounds like you might be talking about a moire pattern.

    > Slightly off topic, but only just... I recently tried to scan an old
    > pamphlet containing a number of black and white photos. Every single photo
    > has come out stripey. My scanner software has some setting to do with moire
    > reduction. I tried this and it made an almost imperceptible improvement but
    > the pictures were still basically striped. Any suggestions how I can
    > overcome this?

    The screen pattern in your document is aliasing with the scanning
    frequency. The classic way to fix this is oversampling, which
    involves scanning at the highest resolution followed by downsampling.
    Another possibility is to defocus slightly.

    Andrew.

    , Mar 10, 2005
  6. Buckwheat

    Guest

    Buckwheat <> wrote:

    > --WebTV-Mail-32174-1845

    > I don't know if I am in the right group,but maybe there is
    > someone that can help me or lead me the right way. When I take
    > shots of houses,fence lines, The roof lines are jagged and wavy, and
    > it makes the printed photo looks bad, is there a solution to this
    > problem, or am I doing sometning wrong. any advice or help will be
    > appreciated, either reply by post or E-Mail me at

    This is aliasing. If your print is less than 300 pixels per inch
    (based on the resolution of the actual picture) you may see this quite
    dramatically. One way to reduce the visual impact of this effect is
    to resize the image to the actaul physical resolution of your printer.
    This is usually 360ppi for the Epsons.

    Andrew.

    , Mar 10, 2005
  7. Buckwheat

    Guest

    In message <>,
    lid wrote:

    >> Slightly off topic, but only just... I recently tried to scan an old
    >> pamphlet containing a number of black and white photos. Every single photo
    >> has come out stripey. My scanner software has some setting to do with moire
    >> reduction. I tried this and it made an almost imperceptible improvement but
    >> the pictures were still basically striped. Any suggestions how I can
    >> overcome this?

    >The screen pattern in your document is aliasing with the scanning
    >frequency. The classic way to fix this is oversampling, which
    >involves scanning at the highest resolution followed by downsampling.
    >Another possibility is to defocus slightly.

    I wonder if anyone makes film to put betwen the printed images and the
    scanner, that breaks up the patterns?

    What I would do is sample at the highest optical resolution, then use
    the "diffuse" filter to randomly swap neighboring pixels, zoomed in
    300%, repeatedly until the pattern is gone. Then downsample (optionally
    noise-filtering, first).
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Mar 10, 2005
  8. Buckwheat

    Bubbabob Guest

    "Keith Sheppard" <> wrote:

    >>>It sounds like you might be talking about a moire pattern.

    > Slightly off topic, but only just... I recently tried to scan an old
    > pamphlet containing a number of black and white photos. Every single
    > photo has come out stripey. My scanner software has some setting to
    > do with moire reduction. I tried this and it made an almost
    > imperceptible improvement but the pictures were still basically
    > striped. Any suggestions how I can overcome this?
    >
    > Keith

    Send your scanner back for an overhaul.

    Bubbabob, Mar 10, 2005