Izit Jast Mhi?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jaime M. de Castellvi, Mar 11, 2007.

  1. Having watched _Alien 3_ (or "Alien Cubed," if you will) when it was
    first released on the theatres, I have a very distinct memory of an
    ending where Ripley allows herself to fall backwards into the pool of
    molten lead and, as she is falling, the alien queen baby starts
    busting through her chest squealling, and Ripley holds it back with
    her hands, almost with motherly gentleness.

    Is it just me and is that the way it really happened, or is this
    either an implanted memory or a residual recollection of an event
    erased by a change in the space-time continuum?

    I ask because I recently got the Alien movie box set while it was on
    sale at Costco, while enjoying the benefits of my rebate. The ending
    in the director's edition seems to be the same as in what they include
    claiming that it is the theatrical release: Ripley allows herself to
    fall backwards and drops into the pool, but at no time is there no
    chestbuster coming through her ribs. For that matter, both movies on
    the disk look exactly alike, even though they are purported to be
    different cuts.

    So I ask again, is it just me, or is this one of those recurring disk
    production **** ups? Has this been a known issue with some of the
    disks in this particular box set release?

    If the latter, who do I bitch to, in order to get my disk exchanged
    (without having to return the entire box set at Costco to get a new
    one and having to sit through each and every disk to make sure they
    are fine before the month is up)? Which means, is the company aware
    of this flaw and will they consequently honor requests for replacement
    disks?

    Thank you in advance for your gentle patience, and for your kindly
    bestowed advice and consent.

    Cheers,

    Jaime
    Jaime M. de Castellvi, Mar 11, 2007

  2. Jaime M. de Castellvi wrote:

    > Having watched _Alien 3_ (or "Alien Cubed," if you will) when it was
    > first released on the theatres, I have a very distinct memory of an
    > ending where Ripley allows herself to fall backwards into the pool of
    > molten lead and, as she is falling, the alien queen baby starts
    > busting through her chest squealling, and Ripley holds it back with
    > her hands, almost with motherly gentleness.
    >
    > Is it just me and is that the way it really happened, or is this
    > either an implanted memory or a residual recollection of an event
    > erased by a change in the space-time continuum?

    Saw it in theaters when it came out (yes -_- ), and ain't no such thing
    happening--
    Wishful geekdom can cloud the memory.

    That's why DVD was invented, so we can look these things up and get a
    grip on ourselves. :)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Mar 11, 2007

  3. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    Stile4aly Guest

    On Mar 11, 12:12 pm, Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    > Jaime M. de Castellvi wrote:
    >
    > > Having watched _Alien 3_ (or "Alien Cubed," if you will) when it was
    > > first released on the theatres, I have a very distinct memory of an
    > > ending where Ripley allows herself to fall backwards into the pool of
    > > molten lead and, as she is falling, the alien queen baby starts
    > > busting through her chest squealling, and Ripley holds it back with
    > > her hands, almost with motherly gentleness.

    > > Is it just me and is that the way it really happened, or is this
    > > either an implanted memory or a residual recollection of an event
    > > erased by a change in the space-time continuum?

    > Saw it in theaters when it came out (yes -_- ), and ain't no such thing
    > happening--
    > Wishful geekdom can cloud the memory.
    >
    > That's why DVD was invented, so we can look these things up and get a
    > grip on ourselves. :)
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    Interesting, because I've seen it rented and on TV a few times, and I
    distinctly remember the chest burster. Hmm...

    Well, this explains it:

    http://imdb.com/title/tt0103644/alternateversions
    Ripley's death scene is a completely alternate take: In the theatrical
    version, as Ripley fell, the alien queen burst out of her chest, here
    she simply falls into the lead. Her body can be seen burning up just
    before it hits the lead.
    Stile4aly, Mar 11, 2007
  4. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    Gilgamesh Guest

    "Jaime M. de Castellvi" <> wrote in message
    > Having watched _Alien 3_ (or "Alien Cubed," if you will) when it was
    > first released on the theatres, I have a very distinct memory of an
    > ending where Ripley allows herself to fall backwards into the pool of
    > molten lead and, as she is falling, the alien queen baby starts
    > busting through her chest squealling, and Ripley holds it back with
    > her hands, almost with motherly gentleness.
    >
    > Is it just me and is that the way it really happened, or is this
    > either an implanted memory or a residual recollection of an event
    > erased by a change in the space-time continuum?
    >
    > I ask because I recently got the Alien movie box set while it was on
    > sale at Costco, while enjoying the benefits of my rebate. The ending
    > in the director's edition seems to be the same as in what they include
    > claiming that it is the theatrical release: Ripley allows herself to
    > fall backwards and drops into the pool, but at no time is there no
    > chestbuster coming through her ribs. For that matter, both movies on
    > the disk look exactly alike, even though they are purported to be
    > different cuts.

    I remember the queen popping out during the fall.

    Gilgamesh, Mar 11, 2007
  5. On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 14:15:14 -0400, Jaime M. de Castellvi
    <> wrote:

    >Having watched _Alien 3_ (or "Alien Cubed," if you will) when it was
    >first released on the theatres, I have a very distinct memory of an
    >ending where Ripley allows herself to fall backwards into the pool of
    >molten lead and, as she is falling, the alien queen baby starts
    >busting through her chest squealling, and Ripley holds it back with
    >her hands, almost with motherly gentleness.
    >
    >Is it just me and is that the way it really happened, or is this
    >either an implanted memory or a residual recollection of an event
    >erased by a change in the space-time continuum?

    It's not jast yhou. I remember that scene, too, and the only time I
    saw A3 was in the theater when it came out.
    Eric D. Berge, Mar 11, 2007
  6. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    Alric Knebel Guest

    Eric D. Berge wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 14:15:14 -0400, Jaime M. de Castellvi
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Having watched _Alien 3_ (or "Alien Cubed," if you will) when it was
    >>first released on the theatres, I have a very distinct memory of an
    >>ending where Ripley allows herself to fall backwards into the pool of
    >>molten lead and, as she is falling, the alien queen baby starts
    >>busting through her chest squealling, and Ripley holds it back with
    >>her hands, almost with motherly gentleness.
    >>
    >>Is it just me and is that the way it really happened, or is this
    >>either an implanted memory or a residual recollection of an event
    >>erased by a change in the space-time continuum?

    > It's not jast yhou. I remember that scene, too, and the only time I
    > saw A3 was in the theater when it came out.

    Same here. I saw it only in the theater, and the chest-busting was
    included.

    Alric Knebel
    http://www.ironeyefortress.com/C-SPAN_loon.html
    http://www.ironeyefortress.com
    Alric Knebel, Mar 12, 2007
  7. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    Anim8rFSK Guest

    In article <>,
    Jaime M. de Castellvi <> wrote:

    > Having watched _Alien 3_ (or "Alien Cubed," if you will) when it was
    > first released on the theatres, I have a very distinct memory of an
    > ending where Ripley allows herself to fall backwards into the pool of
    > molten lead and, as she is falling, the alien queen baby starts
    > busting through her chest squealling, and Ripley holds it back with
    > her hands, almost with motherly gentleness.
    >
    > Is it just me and is that the way it really happened, or is this
    > either an implanted memory or a residual recollection of an event
    > erased by a change in the space-time continuum?

    The latter.

    It's also possible it's your mind desperately crying out for one
    worthwhile scene in one of the worst movies ever made.
    Anim8rFSK, Mar 12, 2007
  8. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    PV Guest

    Jaime M. de Castellvi <> writes:
    >Having watched _Alien 3_ (or "Alien Cubed," if you will) when it was
    >first released on the theatres, I have a very distinct memory of an
    >ending where Ripley allows herself to fall backwards into the pool of
    >molten lead and, as she is falling, the alien queen baby starts
    >busting through her chest squealling, and Ripley holds it back with
    >her hands, almost with motherly gentleness.

    If you're deluded, than so am I - that's the way I remember that damn movie
    ending too. I've had no reason to ever watch it again in any version. *
    like corkscrews.
    PV, Mar 12, 2007
  9. Jaime M. de Castellvi

    Mark W Guest

    > Having watched _Alien 3_ (or "Alien Cubed," if you will) when it was
    > first released on the theatres, I have a very distinct memory of an
    > ending where Ripley allows herself to fall backwards into the pool of
    > molten lead and, as she is falling, the alien queen baby starts
    > busting through her chest squealling, and Ripley holds it back with
    > her hands, almost with motherly gentleness.
    >
    > Is it just me and is that the way it really happened, or is this
    > either an implanted memory or a residual recollection of an event
    > erased by a change in the space-time continuum?

    In the theatrical release, and DVD release of the theatrical release, the
    baby alien does appear and Ripley grabs it.
    In the 'assembly cut' version, that doesn't happen.

    Now then: if your DVD is the SE one that includes the 'assembly cut' then
    make sure which version you choose at the menu. The disc contains both and
    the DVD uses branching to play the right scenes to make up either version.
    Mark W, Mar 14, 2007