    or something with software?

    Thanks,
    Pablo
    Pablo, Feb 17, 2005

  2. Pablo

    WebGuyGuru Guest

    You make have overloaded your sound card with a signal from your VCR. Is
    there a chance you can take out the sound card and test it in another
    computer. You also said that you are connecting your computer to the
    receiver. Did you try connecting speakers directly to your PC?

    WebGuyGuru

    Pricester.com - Get your FREE Website
    No design and hosting fees, Auction / Barter.

    WebGuyGuru, Feb 18, 2005

  3. Pablo

    Pablo Guest

    Yeah, I have another sound card that I can pull from a different
    computer. I did connect a pair of headphones to the sound card, and I
    experienced the same thing, so it's definately not the reciever (radio
    also works on reciever).

    How would that have overloaded it? I'm curious, on a technical level,
    since I don't really know much about it. Suppose I could google it...

    Pablo, Feb 18, 2005
  4. Pablo

    helenski Guest

    I encountered a similar problem after recording a track from a zen
    micro into audacity. i run my pc audio through a little panasonic cd
    player/radio set up. now the signal from the pc produces distortion in
    the left speaker (at any level). the other sources (cd radio) work
    fine through both speakers, and the distortion is reproduced in the
    right speaker if the cables are swapped; which is as far as my
    investigation has gone so far ...
    as for sound cards, my knowledge is nil - i'm hesitant to fiddle
    around in there- has anyone got any advice?
    - do you think it is the sound card? if not, are there any other
    settings that could have been altered when in audacity (the problem
    occurred suddenly while audacity was running)
    - if it is the sound card, is that repairable, or would i have to buy
    a new one?
    any advice GREATLY appreciated - i can't work until this is sorted
    out...
    many thanks,
    helenski

    helenski, Feb 23, 2005
  5. Pablo

    WebGuyGuru Guest

    Yes, I think it's your sound card. Although, try uninstalling Audacity, just
    to make sure that it's not doing something to cause this. And if your sound
    card is failing, it's cheaper to just replace it than to repair it.

    EP
    Visit Pricester.com!
    http://www.Pricester.com
    Get your website today!
    No design or hosting fees. Sell, Trade, Auction!

    WebGuyGuru, Feb 23, 2005
  6. Pablo

    Pablo Guest

    Yeah, I think it's what someone else said, that I overloaded the sound
    card. It may have happened to you, also, unfortunately.

    I took a sound card from another computer of mine, and installed it into
    this one, last night. Now, I have no sound at all. I uninstalled the
    driver, reinstalled, etc...nothing. Guess I'll have to mess around with
    it some more, and hope that I can get it to work. I miss being able to
    listen to Nocturne No. 3...it was so addictive. Oh well.

    Pablo, Feb 23, 2005
  7. Pablo

    Guest

    WebGuyGuru wrote:
    > Yes, I think it's your sound card. Although, try uninstalling

    Audacity, just
    > to make sure that it's not doing something to cause this. And if your

    sound
    > card is failing, it's cheaper to just replace it than to repair it.
    >
    > EP
    > Visit Pricester.com!
    > http://www.Pricester.com
    > Get your website today!
    > No design or hosting fees. Sell, Trade, Auction!

    thanks, i think i'll do this- just to reassure my worried brain- if i
    uninstall audacity, then install it again, my existing files of
    recordings/mixes sitting in the hard drive will be ok, won't they?
    cheers
    helenski
    , Feb 25, 2005