I've been sacked and pillaged by the Viking

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by browntimdc, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. browntimdc

    browntimdc Guest

    A copy of the message I've sent to Viking Products requesting the
    replacement of a 512MB CF card:

    "This is the second Viking compact flash card in 6 months I have had fail
    after only a few uses, while taking irreplacable photos. I have 3 256MB
    Viking cards that have worked flawlessly for 2 years, so I know my other
    equipment is OK. It seems the quality of your product is falling. I would
    like to exchange this defective 512MB card for two 256MB cards. I no longer
    have the confidence in your products to put so much on one card."

    After taking 140+ photos in 3 days on vacation in upstate New York I turn
    on my camera (A1) and get the dreaded "unable to use card" message. I had
    to just sit for a couple of hours, I felt physically ill. My A1 was almost
    the first to go over Niagra Falls.

    I'm happier now because PhotoRescue by RegSoft has recovered most of the
    photos.

    --

    "The strongest human instinct is to impart information,
    and the second strongest is to resist it."

    Kenneth Graham
    browntimdc, Aug 12, 2004

  2. browntimdc

    Ed E. Guest

    I'd leave off the part where you were able to recover, but it sounds
    otherwise very good. And by the way, there are apparently a lot of people
    having troubles with Viking 512MB cards. ZipZoomFly.com had a deal until
    yesterday for the Sandisk Ultra II 512MB card for $62 after a rebate so I'm
    grabbing one of those. My trusty Transcend 45x needed some company.
    Ed E., Aug 13, 2004

  3. browntimdc

    browntimdc Guest

    "Ed E." <> wrote in

    > I'd leave off the part where you were able to recover, but it sounds
    > otherwise very good.

    I got an RMA and they will replace it with two 256MB cards, but I think I
    will be putting those on Ebay to help pay for Sandisks.

    Tim

    browntimdc, Aug 14, 2004
  4. browntimdc

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "browntimdc" <> wrote in message
    > I got an RMA and they will replace it with two 256MB cards, but I

    think I
    > will be putting those on Ebay to help pay for Sandisks.

    You might want to keep the 2 - 256 MB. Then you'll have
    your eggs in two baskets instead of just one.

    Alan
    Alan Meyer, Aug 14, 2004
  5. browntimdc

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:15:55 -0400, "Alan Meyer" <>
    wrote:

    >"browntimdc" <> wrote in message
    >> I got an RMA and they will replace it with two 256MB cards, but I

    >think I
    >> will be putting those on Ebay to help pay for Sandisks.

    >You might want to keep the 2 - 256 MB. Then you'll have
    >your eggs in two baskets instead of just one.
    >
    > Alan

    Yeah, but when you're on that footbridge over a stream/creek/river
    while hiking, and you need to change cards, you'll drop one of them;
    it's Murphy's Law.

    Does anyone else remember this being given as a reason to buy larger
    memory cards a while back?

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
    Big Bill, Aug 14, 2004
  6. browntimdc

    browntimdc Guest

    "Alan Meyer" <> wrote in news:hdCdnRx1J8Q11YPcRVn-
    :

    > "browntimdc" <> wrote in message
    >> I got an RMA and they will replace it with two 256MB cards, but I

    > think I
    >> will be putting those on Ebay to help pay for Sandisks.

    > You might want to keep the 2 - 256 MB. Then you'll have
    > your eggs in two baskets instead of just one.
    >
    > Alan

    Then it will be two 256MB Sandisks.

    Tim

    browntimdc, Aug 15, 2004
  7. browntimdc

    browntimdc Guest

    Big Bill <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:15:55 -0400, "Alan Meyer" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>You might want to keep the 2 - 256 MB. Then you'll have
    >>your eggs in two baskets instead of just one.
    >>
    >> Alan
    >>

    > Yeah, but when you're on that footbridge over a stream/creek/river
    > while hiking, and you need to change cards, you'll drop one of them;
    > it's Murphy's Law.
    >
    > Does anyone else remember this being given as a reason to buy larger
    > memory cards a while back?

    Change cards when before they're full, before going into a hairy
    situation.

    Tim

    browntimdc, Aug 15, 2004
  8. browntimdc

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 00:37:35 GMT, browntimdc
    <> wrote:

    >Big Bill <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:15:55 -0400, "Alan Meyer" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>You might want to keep the 2 - 256 MB. Then you'll have
    >>>your eggs in two baskets instead of just one.
    >>>
    >>> Alan
    >>>

    >> Yeah, but when you're on that footbridge over a stream/creek/river
    >> while hiking, and you need to change cards, you'll drop one of them;
    >> it's Murphy's Law.
    >>
    >> Does anyone else remember this being given as a reason to buy larger
    >> memory cards a while back?

    >Change cards when before they're full, before going into a hairy
    >situation.
    >
    >Tim

    Well, that seems obvious to me, too! :)
    But this was actually given as a reason to buy larger cards; I was
    wondering if anyone else remembers that.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
    Big Bill, Aug 15, 2004