I've been looking for a prosumer "sports" camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JoeG, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. JoeG

    JoeG Guest

    JoeG, Feb 14, 2004

  2. JoeG <> wrote in news:DrsXb.23683$GO7.5176
    @newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

    > which can take great indoor action shots with no flash(such as
    > gymnastics or basketball) -- does this fit the bill from PMA?
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04021303casioexp600.asp

    I think that only DSLR are really upp to the task. They have
    larger sensors - and therefore can be used at higher ISO, e.g
    ISO 1600, with good results. You can also get fast prime lenses.
    But this is of course much more expensive than this Casio camera.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Feb 14, 2004

  3. JoeG

    Huggy52 Guest

    Fi you are looking for a prosumer digital SLR that uses interchangable lens
    then the top two at this time are
    a. Nikon D2H (8 frames a second 40 frame cache at 4.1 megapixels)
    b. Canon 1D Mark II (8.5 frames per second at 8+ megapixels)

    This Canon model has just been released and a price has not been released. The
    Nikon is starting at $3,199.00
    Both of these are great cameras especially designed for the photojournalist /
    sports shooter.

    Huggy52, Feb 14, 2004
  4. JoeG

    John Guest

    John, Feb 14, 2004
  5. JoeG

    Hils Guest

    I've been looking for a prosumer "sports" camera

    Huggy52 wrote

    >Fi you are looking for a prosumer digital SLR that uses interchangable lens
    >then the top two at this time are
    >a. Nikon D2H (8 frames a second 40 frame cache at 4.1 megapixels)
    >b. Canon 1D Mark II (8.5 frames per second at 8+ megapixels)

    If the OP's budget won't stretch to one of these, he may like to
    consider a D1X or EOS-1D Mark I. The latter may become easier to find as
    more Mark IIs reach the streets.

    "Prosumer"? 8-D

    --
    Hil

    Hils, Feb 14, 2004
  6. JoeG

    MarkH Guest

    JoeG <> wrote in news:DrsXb.23683$GO7.5176
    @newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

    > which can take great indoor action shots with no flash(such as
    > gymnastics or basketball) -- does this fit the bill from PMA?
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04021303casioexp600.asp

    No it doesn’t. That camera might do OK in good light with it’s low lag and
    3 fps, but it will be no good at high ISO settings (ISO 400 is almost
    certainly very noisy). A small sensor with 6 MPix is not going to match
    (or come close to) a large sensor with 6 MPix for high ISO shooting (which
    you need for indoor action).

    I think that a Nikon D70 or a Canon 10D would be your best bet if you want
    good pictures, preferably with a lens that can do f2.8.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Feb 14, 2004
  7. (Huggy52) wrote in

    > Fi you are looking for a prosumer digital SLR that uses interchangable
    > lens then the top two at this time are
    > a. Nikon D2H (8 frames a second 40 frame cache at 4.1 megapixels)
    > b. Canon 1D Mark II (8.5 frames per second at 8+ megapixels)
    >
    > This Canon model has just been released and a price has not been
    > released. The Nikon is starting at $3,199.00
    > Both of these are great cameras especially designed for the
    > photojournalist / sports shooter.

    Yes, of course - but a Canon 300D is surely enough in this case.
    So are a 10D or a Nikon 100D or ... some other ... e.g. Pentax *istD.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Feb 14, 2004
  8. Roland Karlsson <> writes:

    > (Huggy52) wrote in
    >
    > > Fi you are looking for a prosumer digital SLR that uses interchangable
    > > lens then the top two at this time are
    > > a. Nikon D2H (8 frames a second 40 frame cache at 4.1 megapixels)
    > > b. Canon 1D Mark II (8.5 frames per second at 8+ megapixels)
    > >
    > > This Canon model has just been released and a price has not been
    > > released. The Nikon is starting at $3,199.00
    > > Both of these are great cameras especially designed for the
    > > photojournalist / sports shooter.
    > >

    > Yes, of course - but a Canon 300D is surely enough in this case.

    Unless you want more than 4 images in continous mode which tops out at 2.5 fps.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Feb 15, 2004
  9. JoeG wrote:

    > which can take great indoor action shots with no flash(such as
    > gymnastics or basketball) -- does this fit the bill from PMA?
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04021303casioexp600.asp

    A Canon EOS Rebel would do nicely.

    Fred

    --
    "...Linux, MS-DOS, and Windows XP (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
    the Ugly)."

    Fred A. Miller, Feb 15, 2004
  10. JoeG

    JoeG Guest

    Fred A. Miller wrote:
    > JoeG wrote:
    >

    >>which can take great indoor action shots with no flash(such as
    >>gymnastics or basketball) -- does this fit the bill from PMA?
    >>
    >>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04021303casioexp600.asp

    > A Canon EOS Rebel would do nicely.
    >
    > Fred

    It's HUGE and Pricey...

    JoeG, Feb 15, 2004
  11. JoeG

    JoeG Guest

    Hmmmmmmmmmmm -- is there a camera which can take sports pictures inside
    with no flash that is NOT a DSLR(as all them are expensive) ....

    JoeG, Feb 15, 2004
  12. JoeG wrote:

    > Fred A. Miller wrote:
    >> JoeG wrote:
    >>

    >>>which can take great indoor action shots with no flash(such as
    >>>gymnastics or basketball) -- does this fit the bill from PMA?
    >>>
    >>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04021303casioexp600.asp

    >> A Canon EOS Rebel would do nicely.
    >>
    >> Fred
    >>

    > It's HUGE and Pricey...

    'Does the job very well.

    Fred

    Fred A. Miller, Feb 15, 2004
  13. Michael Meissner <> wrote in

    >> Yes, of course - but a Canon 300D is surely enough in this case.

    > Unless you want more than 4 images in continous mode which tops out at
    > 2.5 fps.

    Yes, of course. But the original poster is not aiming at
    becoming a sports journalist IMHO. His question and his
    answer hints at him doing this for fun and with a limited
    budget. Then - 300D with some nice lens is today the most
    economical alternative.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Feb 15, 2004
  14. JoeG <> wrote in news:kdCXb.23869$Tc5.17954
    @newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

    > Hmmmmmmmmmmm -- is there a camera which can take sports pictures inside
    > with no flash that is NOT a DSLR(as all them are expensive) ....

    If it can take the pictures or not is a matter of opinion
    of course. Why do you want to take the pictures and what
    kind of demand on quality do you have? Is it taking photos
    of your sons matches for your family album?

    There are two problems with a small sensor consumer camera:

    1. It is slow. It is very hard to catch moving objects with
    a camera that takes 2 seconds to focus and 0.5 seconds
    to take the photo when it is focussed. Some consumer cameras
    even have difficulties to focus at all indoors.

    2. It is slow, i.e. it is not so light sensitive. The camera
    is best not used above ISO 100 (or maybe if you lower your
    demands, over ISO 200). At F/2.5, this is not fast enough.
    Many consumer cameras have worse than F/2.5 at tele position.
    You will not get sharp pictures, if you are forced to use
    an exposure time of 1/8 second. Even if you use tripod,
    because in most sports people are moving fast.

    Now - the Casio EX-P600 promises the #1 above is not a problem,
    but (if that is fully true) you still have #2.

    My guess is still that a Canon 300D with a (used) fast prime lens
    is the cheapest camera that you will "like" using for indoor
    sports. This might cost you $1500 or so

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Feb 15, 2004
  15. JoeG

    Samuel Paik Guest

    JoeG <> wrote in message news:<DrsXb.23683$>...
    > which can take great indoor action shots with no flash(such as
    > gymnastics or basketball) -- does this fit the bill from PMA?
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04021303casioexp600.asp

    It depends on what you consider "great".

    Generally speaking for indoor without flash, you'll want
    [1] a large aperture lens and
    [2] a sensitive and
    [3] low noise sensor (i.e. a high ISO speed).

    For fast moving sports, you'll generally want
    [4] fast and accurate autofocus and
    [5] low shutter release lag and
    [6] short shot-to-shot times over
    [7] a large number of consecutive shots.

    If you expect to be able to get close to the action, then
    [8] a moderate telephoto
    is probably fine, but if you can't get real close (i.e., you're in
    a seat in the stands), to get decent close ups you'll need
    [9] a long focal length (telephoto) lens

    The above Casio appears to meet requirements [5] and [8] only.

    A Digital Rebel with a fast telephoto lens (e.g. EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM)
    meets [1], [2], [3], [4], [5], and [9] but won't be cheap--indeed
    this particular telephoto lens costs almost four times as much as
    the camera (may as well get a 10D as the difference is a drop in
    the bucket).

    A long zoom digital compact camera might be a good choice. Some cameras
    in this class include the Fujifilm FinePix S5000Z, the Minolta DiMAGE A1
    and DiMAGE Z1, Olympus C-740UZ and C-750UZ, and Sony DSC-F828.

    You'll have to balance features, cost, and ergonomics to choose the
    camera that best fits your needs and budget.

    Sam

    Samuel Paik, Feb 15, 2004