    Sure would like to have DSL to see video clips, youtube, etc.

    Unfortunately, the reports from consumers on the Internet regarding
    DSL product reliability and lousy support have scared me off.
    Unqualified Affirmative Action Prince, Aug 21, 2008

  2. Unqualified Affirmative Action Prince

    usablevirus Guest

    (Unqualified Affirmative Action Prince) scribbled:

    > The cheapest dial-up yields at least one busy signal every third day
    > and downloads at 24-48 kbps.
    >
    > Another one rarely has a busy signal, downloads at 24-48, and has a
    > nice Usenet server.
    >
    > The third one never has a busy signal but download speed never tops
    > 28.
    >
    > Total monthly cost for all 3 is about the same as one DSL which is now
    > finally available here.
    >
    > Sure would like to have DSL to see video clips, youtube, etc.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the reports from consumers on the Internet regarding
    > DSL product reliability and lousy support have scared me off.

    a grain of salt comes to mind.
    usablevirus, Aug 21, 2008

  3. Unqualified Affirmative Action Prince

    Tony Guest

    If you live in CanaDUH you won't see nothin' but a bill that will knocks
    your socks off at the end of the month. Most sites are blocked all ports
    are blocked everything is speed throttled and traffic shaped. Broadband is
    worst than dial-up in most cites. The only thing you'd see on YouTube is
    endless buffering and no videos EVER!

    Subject: Re: ISPs in general
    Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 03:54:28 -0400
    From: Steveo <>
    Newsgroups: sympattycake.highspeed

    I hate both of them. You need to get a second job just to afford either
    one.
    I still get dial-up from america for a couple of bucks a month because
    some
    months i run out of money.

    "J. Conners" wrote:

    > I currently use Sympattycake as my ISP. I'm truly dissatisfied with the

    > stability of the service as well as the quality of customer service (or
    > lack thereof).
    >
    > Can anyone give me an good objective comparison between Sympattycake and

    > Rogers? I'm seriously considering a switch to Rogers. I just don't want

    > to trade one parcel of trouble for a different one.

    > Jack Conners
    > Linux *IS* user friendly. It's just not Idiot-Friendly or

    Fool-Friendly!

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know
    proper manners

    This asshat FROGS both me and Chuckcar

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Aug 21, 2008
  4. Unqualified Affirmative Action Prince

    John Holmes Guest

    Unqualified Affirmative Action Prince "contributed" in alt.computer:

    > The cheapest dial-up yields at least one busy signal every third day
    > and downloads at 24-48 kbps.
    >
    > Another one rarely has a busy signal, downloads at 24-48, and has a
    > nice Usenet server.
    >
    > The third one never has a busy signal but download speed never tops
    > 28.
    >
    > Total monthly cost for all 3 is about the same as one DSL which is now
    > finally available here.
    >
    > Sure would like to have DSL to see video clips, youtube, etc.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the reports from consumers on the Internet regarding
    > DSL product reliability and lousy support have scared me off.

    Did you have a question?

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Aug 21, 2008
  5. Unqualified Affirmative Action Prince

    Far Canal Guest

    Unqualified Affirmative Action Prince wrote...

    > The cheapest dial-up yields at least one busy signal every third day
    > and downloads at 24-48 kbps.
    >
    > Another one rarely has a busy signal, downloads at 24-48, and has a
    > nice Usenet server.
    >
    > The third one never has a busy signal but download speed never tops
    > 28.
    >
    > Total monthly cost for all 3 is about the same as one DSL which is now
    > finally available here.
    >
    > Sure would like to have DSL to see video clips, youtube, etc.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the reports from consumers on the Internet regarding
    > DSL product reliability and lousy support have scared me off.

    Are we expected to give a shit?

    Go ask mummy, like you usually do.
    Far Canal, Aug 21, 2008
  6. Unqualified Affirmative Action Prince

    BM Guest

    "Far Canal" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Unqualified Affirmative Action Prince wrote...
    >
    >> The cheapest dial-up yields at least one busy signal every third day
    >> and downloads at 24-48 kbps.
    >>
    >> Another one rarely has a busy signal, downloads at 24-48, and has a
    >> nice Usenet server.
    >>
    >> The third one never has a busy signal but download speed never tops
    >> 28.
    >>
    >> Total monthly cost for all 3 is about the same as one DSL which is
    >> now
    >> finally available here.
    >>
    >> Sure would like to have DSL to see video clips, youtube, etc.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, the reports from consumers on the Internet regarding
    >> DSL product reliability and lousy support have scared me off.
    >>

    > Are we expected to give a shit?
    >
    > Go ask mummy, like you usually do.

    it's all in a fart

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 080821-0, 2008-08-21
    Tested on: 2008-08-21 20:42:35
    BM, Aug 21, 2008
  7. Unqualified Affirmative Action Prince

    Paul Guest

    Unqualified Affirmative Action Prince wrote:
    > The cheapest dial-up yields at least one busy signal every third day
    > and downloads at 24-48 kbps.
    >
    > Another one rarely has a busy signal, downloads at 24-48, and has a
    > nice Usenet server.
    >
    > The third one never has a busy signal but download speed never tops
    > 28.
    >
    > Total monthly cost for all 3 is about the same as one DSL which is now
    > finally available here.
    >
    > Sure would like to have DSL to see video clips, youtube, etc.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the reports from consumers on the Internet regarding
    > DSL product reliability and lousy support have scared me off.

    My DSL offers 10 hours of dialup as a backup plan, per month.
    If there was an outage, I could use the dialup option.

    I haven't had any sustained outages with DSL in the last
    couple years. There might be a 30 second outage, when lightning
    hits the neighborhood, giving the equipment time to re-establish
    the session and so on. With dialup, your call might be
    dropped by a similar event.

    If the ISP is mature (has had several years to work out the kinks),
    and is using a second generation of equipment, I don't think you
    have anything to worry about.

    The quality of your home telephone wiring can affect
    your experience. If the performance of the setup seems
    sub-optimal, it could be the wiring inside the house at
    fault. Both my dialup connect rate and my ADSL performance
    were affected by corrosion on telephone jacks, and
    replacing the wiring made a difference. (I could even hear
    a hiss on the phone while making voice calls.) You would be
    surprised what passes for a telephone installation in
    some homes. I was all set to blame Bell for an external
    service problem, but the problem was inside the house.
    The old wiring is now disconnected.

    The support may be lousy, but since I don't have to phone
    them, they can go back to playing cards :) If I was using
    a dialup plan from the same supplier, my support quality would
    be exactly the same. It is a telephone company, after all.

    If the ISP buys service from a telephone company, the ISP's
    support may be friendly and responsive, but if the problem
    is with telephone company equipment, the telephone company
    does not have to reply to their requests, any faster than
    for any other customer. ADSL relies on some telephone
    company, somewhere, so you're always dealing with that
    at some level. I would not let that deter me.

    To see whether you are "in range", usually the provider will
    have a postal code or ZIP code check, as a means of figuring
    out your physical location with respect to the central office.
    The original ADSL, required a customer to be within 18,000 feet
    of the central office. A "light" version of ADSL, with a
    much reduced data rate, extends the maximum reach to 36,000 feet.
    So if you're trying to figure out why they are offering a
    particular plan, that could be one factor. Not all companies
    support the 36,000 feet option or have a plan for it. If you're
    too far away from the C.O., they'll tell you DSL is unavailable.

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 21, 2008
  8. Unqualified Affirmative Action Prince

    saycheez Guest

    When you read something in a Usenet group you tend to assume it is posted by
    someone like you but many people cannot imagine the thought processes, or
    lack thereof, by which many are guided/unguided through their lives.
    When you live in an outhouse flowers smell bad.
    Most telcos in the U.S. offer reliable DSL service for around $25 a month.
    Most problems people have occur at set-up but rarely recur once things are
    properly configured. As proof I offer my 84 year old mother who has stable
    DSL service in rural Louisiana. Outages are not very common.
    Surely the cost of one telephone line and one DSL line is less than having
    more than one telephone line and multiple dial-up ISPS even if those ISPs
    are free.
    saycheez, Aug 22, 2008
  9. I had dial up that never ever had a busy, and downloaded consistantly at
    speeds of 50-ish k/sec.

    I now run FiOS (fiber optics) and it hauls ass.

    Jeff Strickland, Aug 23, 2008