    My email is:

    Thanks,

    Elissa
    Elissa Thompson, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Elissa Thompson

    MrToad Guest

    "Elissa Thompson" <> Ran in the back door and
    shouted news:xGRtb.1810$:

    > Hi..Not sure if this would be the right place to get some help--if not
    > I appoligize, please re-direct me.
    >
    > I just reformated my pc and when I went to re-boot from the start up
    > disk that I had made (win 98) it says "invalid system disk..blah blah
    > blah. It was allowing me to view the directories on both my drives C
    > and D...but now when I wanted to install the OS I can no longer view
    > anything other than the Invalid disk message. I have changed the boot
    > sequence to boot first from the floppy, etc...but that doesnt work. I
    > have tried numerous start up disks, and nothing works. At one point I
    > could get the DOS prompt but starting up with my Fdisk in the floppy,
    > but now that wont even work. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > My email is:
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Elissa

    Got another floppy drive?
    Yours *may* be borked....

    --
    MrToad
    MrToad, Nov 16, 2003

  3. Thanks MrToad...I changed the floppy drive and that seemed to fix the
    problem...was also having a network problem before I re-formated (so I may
    have some more questions ;) ). I had also changed the video card prior to
    re-formating as it was looking very blurry on the screen. The video card
    that is in there now, seems to be doing the same thing--maybe my monitor is
    now "borked"?

    Elissa Thompson, Nov 17, 2003
  4. Elissa Thompson

    MrToad Guest

    "Elissa Thompson" <> Ran in the back door and
    shouted news:eQ7ub.3783$:

    > Thanks MrToad...I changed the floppy drive and that seemed to fix the
    > problem...was also having a network problem before I re-formated (so I
    > may have some more questions ;) ). I had also changed the video card
    > prior to re-formating as it was looking very blurry on the screen.
    > The video card that is in there now, seems to be doing the same
    > thing--maybe my monitor is now "borked"?

    Does the monitor have a degauss button?
    [It may be hidden in the on screen control menu too]
    I'd try that first, if still no joy. I'd look into another monitor.

    --
    MrToad
    MrToad, Nov 18, 2003
  5. Elissa Thompson

    Plato Guest

    Elissa Thompson wrote:

    > Thanks MrToad...I changed the floppy drive and that seemed to fix the
    > problem...was also having a network problem before I re-formated (so I may

    What sometimes happens if you havn't used the drive in a long while is
    that:

    1. You ruin the first several disks you put in the drive as they act as
    dust/grime collectors. You think the drive is bad so you replace it.
    Then you put in the same disks and transfer the dirt/grime to the new
    drive and mess it up.

    The thing one should do is to first blow out the drive with compressed
    air, then use a floppy drive cleaning kit immediately after. Use the
    fluid liberaly and let it take time to evaporate. Do a "dir" on the
    cleaning disk about 10 times. Of course you'll be booting to your hard
    drive to use the cleaning kit. Then use a "disposable" floppy right
    after to read/reread to get any leftover dirt/grime. Then try a "new"
    disk.

    In other words, whilst on the road or even at home if this happens to me
    and the first disk I put in cant be seen/read and I know the disk is
    good, I put that one aside. If after a drive cleaning the drive works, I
    toss out that disk so I dont pollute another drive.

    2. Sometimes [again if you havn't use the drive in a long while] what
    happens is that
    the first disk you put in reads/writes/works fine, but then the next
    ones you try dont
    work at all. What happens in this case I believe is that that the drive
    head was pretty
    clean at the start, but after using the drive the dirt/grime around the
    head and inside
    the drive gets transferred to the head thus messing it up for future
    disks. Clean the
    drive as above.
    Plato, Nov 18, 2003