    I add a new folder into the mp3 folder... How do i tell itunes to update
    the library??

    am i just blind and cant find the update button??

    Andrew, Mar 2, 2006

  2. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > Okay.. so i have a folder of mp3s on a hard drive
    >
    > I buy an ipod...
    > I install itunes
    > I add the mp3 folder to the library of itunes...
    >
    > All happy until:
    >
    > I add a new folder into the mp3 folder... How do i tell itunes to update
    > the library??
    >
    > am i just blind and cant find the update button??

    Ohh Yea, I have seen "consolidate library" and thought thats what im
    meant to do... But it said: "consolidating your library will copy all of
    your music into the itunes music folder. This cannot be undone"

    Im not sure exactly where it thinks its gonna copy it all too... It wont
    all fit onto the c:....

    Andrew, Mar 2, 2006

  3. In <h_tNf.572$> Andrew wrote:
    > Okay.. so i have a folder of mp3s on a hard drive
    >
    > I buy an ipod...
    > I install itunes
    > I add the mp3 folder to the library of itunes...
    >
    > All happy until:
    >
    > I add a new folder into the mp3 folder... How do i tell itunes to
    > update the library??
    >
    > am i just blind and cant find the update button??

    iTunes keeps track of every individual file in its library with a
    database, rather than of all the files in any particular folder. The
    only way to add files to the library is to explicitly tell iTunes you
    want to do that. If you select File / Add to Library... and pick the top
    level folder of your music location it will scan through the entire
    contents and add any new files it finds in there to the library. Any
    files that are already in the library will be ignored.

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Mar 2, 2006
  4. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > In <h_tNf.572$> Andrew wrote:
    >> Okay.. so i have a folder of mp3s on a hard drive
    >>
    >> I buy an ipod...
    >> I install itunes
    >> I add the mp3 folder to the library of itunes...
    >>
    >> All happy until:
    >>
    >> I add a new folder into the mp3 folder... How do i tell itunes to
    >> update the library??
    >>
    >> am i just blind and cant find the update button??

    > iTunes keeps track of every individual file in its library with a
    > database, rather than of all the files in any particular folder. The
    > only way to add files to the library is to explicitly tell iTunes you
    > want to do that. If you select File / Add to Library... and pick the top
    > level folder of your music location it will scan through the entire
    > contents and add any new files it finds in there to the library. Any
    > files that are already in the library will be ignored.

    And that wont add anything twice??

    Im sure that if i manually add a single folder (thats already there) it
    will list everything twice..

    THanks though, I will try this at home tonight

    Andrew, Mar 2, 2006