    When I try to set it up from the "File menu" I go through all the steps but
    it only gives me the screen with no music?

    , Dec 23, 2005

  2. Mitch Guest

    In article <>, <>
    wrote:

    > How do I make a smartplaylist in itunes that allows for more than one genre?
    > When I try to set it up from the "File menu" I go through all the steps but
    > it only gives me the screen with no music?

    I'll bet you just didn't change the 'match ALL rules' at the top to
    'match ANY rule'

    Set these in the Smart Playlist:
    match GENRE to HIP HOP
    match GENRE to ALTERNATIVE
    Change the ALL to ANY at the top

    Check the appropriate boxes at the bottom (limit to, match, update
    list).

    I'v got a large library, and I've entered year and rating tags for
    most, so I have a couple Smart playlists that include two or three
    genre and a year range (1550-1926, or 1973-1982), along with ratings
    (above three) and play count (below 3 times).

    It's also fun to use it for driving music; set the ratings to over
    three, track less than five minutes long, 'least recently played' and
    limit to 70 minutes.

    You can change the entries in a Smart Playlist like that by just Select
    All and Delete; the playlist will rebuild itself with new random
    entries.

    Another neat trick; you can enter another playlist as an exception to
    the Smart playlist you are making. if you want to make sure none of
    your driving CDs have the same song, just set the previous list as an
    exception to the next one. (e.g. track is not in [playlist])

    Mitch, Dec 23, 2005