Itunes renamed music - Undo ?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Jul 19, 2006.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Anyway to UNDO Itunes renaming of files ?

    When I dloaded Quicktime onto a PC it came with Itunes so I tried it.
    PRIOR to install , all of my Music was in C:\My Music and was named in
    this format:
    Singer - songname.mp3, as in
    "Ray Charles - You Don't Know Me.mp3"
    so all songs were easy to see - listed by artist in that one folder.

    AFTER Itunes installed, all music on that PC then got renamed/shuffled,
    so that now each artist has his own folder and looks like this:
    Ray Charles is a Folder, with sub-folders by album, and in one of those
    folders I'll find a song called "02You Don't Know Me.mp3" if it was the
    second song on the album. So I can no longer see all of my music listed
    as it was previously - without Itunes - everything has been renamed.
    Even if I go to DOs and Move *.mp3 , the names are are messed up. Short
    of copying all of my music from another PC, anyway to easily get it back
    as it was ? (I'm guessing NO and just posting this as a heads up to
    others)

    Why not use Itunes? It's an old laptop that's slow to begin with. I
    checked task mgr and "What are these itunes apps that are running when
    I'm not even using it ? They are now in startup and chewing up CPU time
    .. Is it spyware ?"

    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Jul 19, 2006

  2. - Bobb -

    StinkyPlant Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > Anyway to UNDO Itunes renaming of files ?
    >
    > When I dloaded Quicktime onto a PC it came with Itunes so I tried it.
    > PRIOR to install , all of my Music was in C:\My Music and was named in
    > this format:
    > Singer - songname.mp3, as in
    > "Ray Charles - You Don't Know Me.mp3"
    > so all songs were easy to see - listed by artist in that one folder.
    >
    > AFTER Itunes installed, all music on that PC then got renamed/shuffled,
    > so that now each artist has his own folder and looks like this:
    > Ray Charles is a Folder, with sub-folders by album, and in one of those
    > folders I'll find a song called "02You Don't Know Me.mp3" if it was the
    > second song on the album. So I can no longer see all of my music listed
    > as it was previously - without Itunes - everything has been renamed.
    > Even if I go to DOs and Move *.mp3 , the names are are messed up. Short
    > of copying all of my music from another PC, anyway to easily get it back
    > as it was ? (I'm guessing NO and just posting this as a heads up to others)
    >
    > Why not use Itunes? It's an old laptop that's slow to begin with. I
    > checked task mgr and "What are these itunes apps that are running when
    > I'm not even using it ? They are now in startup and chewing up CPU time
    > . Is it spyware ?"
    >
    > Bobb

    Look in the system preferences, it has the options on how iTunes with
    organize your music collection. Most people want there 'tagged' music to
    be organized into folders by artist, but I know what you mean...Always
    check the options for any program before running it.

    Stink~

    StinkyPlant, Jul 20, 2006