    Can someone just generally educate me on iTunes and the format?

    Thanks in advance.

    Bob

    bob, Dec 5, 2005

  2. "bob" <> wrote in message
    news:tZMkf.17317$...
    > Just joined iTunes. Haven't downloaded any music in about 5 yrs,
    > they were .mp3's. The songs I bought from iTunes were in AAC audio
    > file format.
    >
    > What is the difference between this and .mp3 formats? Can you buy
    > .mp3's from iTunes also? My .mp3's play on my car CD player, will
    > AAC's also?
    >
    > Can someone just generally educate me on iTunes and the format?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >

    > Bob

    Music tracks from most of the original illicit file sharing and
    download sites were encoded using the MP3 file format. The big
    problem from the music industry's point of view is that MP3 files are
    easily copied.

    Most of the new legal online music stores sell tracks encoded in the
    WMA (Windows Media Audio) format. The notable exceptions are iTunes,
    which uses the AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) codec, and Sony's Connect
    site , which sells tracks in its proprietary ATRAC (Adaptive Transform
    Acoustic Coding) format.

    These codecs are more efficient than MP3, resulting in better sound
    quality and smaller files sizes but they have one other thing in
    common and that is Digital Rights Management or DRM. Files downloaded
    from the various online music stores are embedded with DRM data that
    can be used to restrict how and where tracks are played and copied.

    Many personal music players can play both WMA and MP3 tracks, however,
    Apple iPods are limited to AAC files and most Sony personal players
    are designed to work with ATRAC files, though most models can also
    play WMA tracks.

    However, virtually all personal music players - including Apple and
    Sony models - come with software that allow users to copy or 'rip'
    tracks from CDs that they already own and then copy them to their
    players, without any restrictions.

    Boscoe Pertwee, Dec 5, 2005

  3. bob

    bob Guest

    "Boscoe Pertwee" <> wrote in message

    > "bob" <> wrote in message
    >> Just joined iTunes. Haven't downloaded any music in about 5 yrs, they
    >> were .mp3's. The songs I bought from iTunes were in AAC audio file
    >> format.
    >>
    >> What is the difference between this and .mp3 formats? Can you buy .mp3's
    >> from iTunes also? My .mp3's play on my car CD player, will AAC's also?
    >>
    >> Can someone just generally educate me on iTunes and the format?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>

    >> Bob

    > Music tracks from most of the original illicit file sharing and download
    > sites were encoded using the MP3 file format. The big problem from the
    > music industry's point of view is that MP3 files are easily copied.
    >
    > Most of the new legal online music stores sell tracks encoded in the WMA
    > (Windows Media Audio) format. The notable exceptions are iTunes, which
    > uses the AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) codec, and Sony's Connect site ,
    > which sells tracks in its proprietary ATRAC (Adaptive Transform Acoustic
    > Coding) format.
    >
    > These codecs are more efficient than MP3, resulting in better sound
    > quality and smaller files sizes but they have one other thing in common
    > and that is Digital Rights Management or DRM. Files downloaded from the
    > various online music stores are embedded with DRM data that can be used to
    > restrict how and where tracks are played and copied.
    >
    > Many personal music players can play both WMA and MP3 tracks, however,
    > Apple iPods are limited to AAC files and most Sony personal players are
    > designed to work with ATRAC files, though most models can also play WMA
    > tracks.
    >
    > However, virtually all personal music players - including Apple and Sony
    > models - come with software that allow users to copy or 'rip' tracks from
    > CDs that they already own and then copy them to their players, without any
    > restrictions.

    thanks for the response. now another question:

    if i do download files in iTunes in AAC format can i then burn them to CD
    using iTunes software in "normal CD" format? i.e. where they can be read on
    any CD player?

    see iTunes "edit" "preferences" "advanced" "burning" menu for ex?? am in
    interpreting that right?

    bob

    bob, Dec 5, 2005
  4. "bob" <> wrote in message

    > thanks for the response. now another question:
    >
    > if i do download files in iTunes in AAC format can i then burn them
    > to CD using iTunes software in "normal CD" format? i.e. where they
    > can be read on any CD player?
    >
    > see iTunes "edit" "preferences" "advanced" "burning" menu for ex??
    > am in interpreting that right?
    >
    > bob

    I don't use iTunes software but I see no problems burning them onto CD
    using the iTunes software to create your own compilation discs, which
    you can play on your home hi-fi or in-car and personal CD players.

    Boscoe Pertwee, Dec 6, 2005