    Cheers.

    --
    Beef is organically processed grass.

    Whalemeat is Yummy, Sep 1, 2007

  2. In message <46d910be$>, Whalemeat is Yummy wrote:

    > But the sound quality was pretty crappy at 128kbps (I could tell even from
    > my tiny speakers).

    Have you tried asking for your money back?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 1, 2007

  3. Whalemeat is Yummy

    sam Guest

    Whalemeat is Yummy wrote:
    > But the sound quality was pretty crappy at 128kbps (I could tell even from
    > my tiny speakers).
    >
    > Is there a setting on iTunes anywhere where you it will download at a higher
    > bit rate?
    >
    > If not, is there any other way to download (preferrably legally / and pay
    > for it) a decent quality song preferrably 192 kbps or better.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > --
    > Beef is organically processed grass.

    Go to Itunes Plus and set your preferences and you can buy 256kbps AAC
    tracks without DRM.

    sam, Sep 1, 2007
  4. In message <46d9279c$>, sam wrote:

    > Go to Itunes Plus and set your preferences and you can buy 256kbps AAC
    > tracks without DRM.

    At extra cost.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 1, 2007
  5. Whalemeat is Yummy

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    "Whalemeat is Yummy" <> wrote in message
    > But the sound quality was pretty crappy at 128kbps (I could tell even from
    > my tiny speakers).
    >
    > Is there a setting on iTunes anywhere where you it will download at a
    > higher
    > bit rate?

    iTunes Plus is meant to offer 256k AAC titles at additional cost. Is this
    available from the New Zealand site yet?

    > If not, is there any other way to download (preferrably legally / and pay
    > for it) a decent quality song preferrably 192 kbps or better.

    I note that Digirama has a limited selection of lossless WMA titles at the
    same price as their normal tracks.

    Mickey Mouse, Sep 1, 2007
  6. Whalemeat is Yummy

    Vista Guest

    "Mickey Mouse" <> wrote in message
    > "Whalemeat is Yummy" <> wrote in message
    >> But the sound quality was pretty crappy at 128kbps (I could tell even
    >> from
    >> my tiny speakers).
    >>
    >> Is there a setting on iTunes anywhere where you it will download at a
    >> higher
    >> bit rate?

    > iTunes Plus is meant to offer 256k AAC titles at additional cost. Is this
    > available from the New Zealand site yet?
    >
    >> If not, is there any other way to download (preferrably legally / and pay
    >> for it) a decent quality song preferrably 192 kbps or better.

    > I note that Digirama has a limited selection of lossless WMA titles at the
    > same price as their normal tracks.

    Costs more, and very limited range of DRM free songs.

    Vista, Sep 1, 2007
  7. Whalemeat is Yummy

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message

    > "Mickey Mouse" <> wrote in message
    >> "Whalemeat is Yummy" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> If not, is there any other way to download (preferrably legally / and
    >>> pay
    >>> for it) a decent quality song preferrably 192 kbps or better.

    >> I note that Digirama has a limited selection of lossless WMA titles at
    >> the same price as their normal tracks.
    >>

    > Costs more, and very limited range of DRM free songs.

    What price are high quality tracks on iTunes NZ? The lossless WMA are
    mostly $1.75 on Digirama.

    Mickey Mouse, Sep 1, 2007
  8. Whalemeat is Yummy

    David Empson Guest

    Mickey Mouse <> wrote:

    > "Whalemeat is Yummy" <> wrote in message
    > > But the sound quality was pretty crappy at 128kbps (I could tell even from
    > > my tiny speakers).
    > >
    > > Is there a setting on iTunes anywhere where you it will download at a
    > > higher bit rate?

    > iTunes Plus is meant to offer 256k AAC titles at additional cost. Is this
    > available from the New Zealand site yet?

    Yes. $2.39 per song (vs $1.79), no difference for album prices ($17.99).
    iTunes Plus songs are also DRM-free.

    There is a catch: it is only available for some music. I'm only aware of
    EMI being available in this form from iTunes.

    The iTunes store has a section titled "iTunes Plus" which lists some or
    all the available albums, and there is a setting which lets you specify
    whether to get the standard or iTunes Plus version of an album/song if
    both are available. (It will prompt you to turn it on if you look at an
    iTunes Plus album, or you can go into the account settings.)

    You need to be running iTunes 7.2 or later for iTunes Plus.
    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Sep 1, 2007
  9. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    by the name of Mickey Mouse exclaimed:
    > What price are high quality tracks on iTunes NZ? The lossless WMA are
    > mostly $1.75 on Digirama.

    2.39

    I always buy these if the option is available...

    Personally I have this idea that you could buy the DRM'd
    track of iTunes, then download a decent quality, DRM
    free copy from "other sources". Ethically, this would
    seem OK to me, though of course its still not
    technically legal.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Sep 1, 2007
  10. Whalemeat is Yummy

    sam Guest

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    > by the name of Mickey Mouse exclaimed:
    >> What price are high quality tracks on iTunes NZ? The lossless WMA are
    >> mostly $1.75 on Digirama.

    > 2.39
    >
    > I always buy these if the option is available...
    >
    > Personally I have this idea that you could buy the DRM'd
    > track of iTunes, then download a decent quality, DRM
    > free copy from "other sources". Ethically, this would
    > seem OK to me, though of course its still not
    > technically legal.

    Unacceptable. EOS. says RIANZ

    sam, Sep 1, 2007
  11. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    by the name of sam exclaimed:
    > Unacceptable. EOS. says RIANZ

    What? EOS = End Of Story??

    Did you miss the part where I said ethical not legal?

    I couldnt give two hoots what the RIANZ thinks is
    acceptable.

    Aaron Lawrence, Sep 3, 2007
  12. Whalemeat is Yummy

    sam Guest

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    > by the name of sam exclaimed:
    >> Unacceptable. EOS. says RIANZ

    > What? EOS = End Of Story??
    >
    > Did you miss the part where I said ethical not legal?
    >
    > I couldnt give two hoots what the RIANZ thinks is
    > acceptable.

    If the value of a drm crippled download is intentionally set lower to
    compensate for its uselessness, its definitely not ethical to claim that
    paying that fee entitles you to the same privileges as buying a CD
    ;-)

    I don't give a hoot about the RIANZ either, but ethically I think I have
    bought enough CDs over the years with one good track and a pile of
    unlistenable dross tacked on that I will never listen to, to justify
    enough credit with the record industry to dowload whatever I want.
    I'm not going to bother with token itunes downloads.
    But every so often I will buy a CD of something I liked online,
    sometimes I will have to look for it second hand or on Amazon.
    If I damage a CD I own and download a copy, is that ethical ?
    Don't really care. Does buying Amy Winehouse tracks contribute to her
    drug piggery ? Don't care. Is buying an Avril Lavigne track ripping off
    the Rubinoos or the Rolling Stones ?
    It's not enough to keep the mind alive.

    sam, Sep 3, 2007
  13. Whalemeat is Yummy

    Allistar Guest

    sam wrote:

    > Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >> On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    >> by the name of Mickey Mouse exclaimed:
    >>> What price are high quality tracks on iTunes NZ? The lossless WMA are
    >>> mostly $1.75 on Digirama.

    >> 2.39
    >>
    >> I always buy these if the option is available...
    >>
    >> Personally I have this idea that you could buy the DRM'd
    >> track of iTunes, then download a decent quality, DRM
    >> free copy from "other sources". Ethically, this would
    >> seem OK to me, though of course its still not
    >> technically legal.
    >>

    > Unacceptable. EOS. says RIANZ

    Is it illegal to strip DRM from iTunes provided songs in NZ? It's not like
    we have a DMCA style law.
    --
    A.

    Allistar, Sep 4, 2007
  14. Whalemeat is Yummy

    sam Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > sam wrote:
    >
    >> Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >>> On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    >>> by the name of Mickey Mouse exclaimed:
    >>> 2.39
    >>>
    >>> I always buy these if the option is available...
    >>>
    >>> Personally I have this idea that you could buy the DRM'd
    >>> track of iTunes, then download a decent quality, DRM
    >>> free copy from "other sources". Ethically, this would
    >>> seem OK to me, though of course its still not
    >>> technically legal.
    >>>

    >> Unacceptable. EOS. says RIANZ

    > Is it illegal to strip DRM from iTunes provided songs in NZ? It's not like
    > we have a DMCA style law.

    Apparently its called piracy and means you are a thief.

    sam, Sep 4, 2007
  15. Whalemeat is Yummy

    Allistar Guest

    sam wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> sam wrote:

    >>> Unacceptable. EOS. says RIANZ

    >> Is it illegal to strip DRM from iTunes provided songs in NZ? It's not
    >> like we have a DMCA style law.

    > Apparently its called piracy and means you are a thief.

    It can't be piracy if you paid for the download. You aren't removing any
    rights from the copyright holder by removing the DRM.

    Allistar.
    --
    A.

    Allistar, Sep 4, 2007
  16. Whalemeat is Yummy

    Shane Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    > sam wrote:
    >
    >> Allistar wrote:

    >>> Is it illegal to strip DRM from iTunes provided songs in NZ? It's not
    >>> like we have a DMCA style law.

    >> Apparently its called piracy and means you are a thief.

    > It can't be piracy if you paid for the download. You aren't removing any
    > rights from the copyright holder by removing the DRM.
    >
    > Allistar.

    That would depend on the terms by which they allowed you to download the
    file.
    --
    "The number you have dialed is imaginary. Please, rotate your phone by 90
    degrees and try again..."

    Shane, Sep 4, 2007
  17. Whalemeat is Yummy

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    > Is it illegal to strip DRM from iTunes provided songs in NZ? It's not like
    > we have a DMCA style law.

    Does burning to a CD count as "stripping" DRM?

    Mickey Mouse, Sep 4, 2007
  18. Whalemeat is Yummy

    sam Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > sam wrote:
    >
    >> Allistar wrote:

    >>> Is it illegal to strip DRM from iTunes provided songs in NZ? It's not
    >>> like we have a DMCA style law.

    >> Apparently its called piracy and means you are a thief.

    > It can't be piracy if you paid for the download. You aren't removing any
    > rights from the copyright holder by removing the DRM.
    >
    > Allistar.

    You can't do that without making another copy which the copyright
    agreement prohibits you from doing.
    Its like xeroxing a book but leaving the copyright page out.
    If you destroy or delete the original, it doesn't change the fact that
    you have made an unauthorized copy.
    They would say that they set their price for a DRM encumbered copy
    knowing that it was less valuable to you than an unprotected CD. By
    removing it, you are infringing their rights under copyright law by
    making another unauthorized copy instead of buying it.
    I think its a scam

    sam, Sep 4, 2007
  19. Whalemeat is Yummy

    Allistar Guest

    Mickey Mouse wrote:

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Is it illegal to strip DRM from iTunes provided songs in NZ? It's not
    >> like we have a DMCA style law.

    > Does burning to a CD count as "stripping" DRM?

    No, but if yo burn a DRM encumbered file to a CD I doubt any CD player could
    play it.
    --
    A.

    Allistar, Sep 5, 2007
  20. Whalemeat is Yummy

    Allistar Guest

    sam wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> sam wrote:

    >>> Apparently its called piracy and means you are a thief.

    >> It can't be piracy if you paid for the download. You aren't removing any
    >> rights from the copyright holder by removing the DRM.
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > You can't do that without making another copy which the copyright
    > agreement prohibits you from doing.

    What agreement is that? NZ now has fair use laws.

    > Its like xeroxing a book but leaving the copyright page out.
    > If you destroy or delete the original, it doesn't change the fact that
    > you have made an unauthorized copy.

    I suppose that depends on the agreement, which most people wouldn't read.

    > They would say that they set their price for a DRM encumbered copy
    > knowing that it was less valuable to you than an unprotected CD. By
    > removing it, you are infringing their rights under copyright law by
    > making another unauthorized copy instead of buying it.
    > I think its a scam

    Indeed it is.
    --
    A.