    Marsalis as being available on the itunes music store. Does this mean
    the itunes music store is now available in NZ?
    , Mar 2, 2006

  2. T'was the 2 Mar 2006 01:06:28 -0800 when I remembered
    saying something like this:

    >Why am I seeing ads on telly (tv3 @ 10pm tonight) advertising Wynton
    >Marsalis as being available on the itunes music store. Does this mean
    >the itunes music store is now available in NZ?

    I'm pretty sure the ad says that iTunes store not available in NZ. I
    wonder what the point of the ad is.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Mar 2, 2006

  3. Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>,
    Waylon Kenning <> wrote:

    > T'was the 2 Mar 2006 01:06:28 -0800 when I remembered
    > saying something like this:
    >
    > >Why am I seeing ads on telly (tv3 @ 10pm tonight) advertising Wynton
    > >Marsalis as being available on the itunes music store. Does this mean
    > >the itunes music store is now available in NZ?

    > I'm pretty sure the ad says that iTunes store not available in NZ. I
    > wonder what the point of the ad is.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Waylon Kenning.
    > See my blog at http://spaces.msn.com/WaylonKenning/

    Well they've always had iPod ads and many of them have ended with the
    text "iPod + iTunes"...this one is more focussed on the ITMS and it's a
    little silly they are using it. If you look closely you'll see a quick
    caption that has been added that says the iTMS doesn't exist for NZ
    users.

    Phil
    --
    NZMac.com - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
    http://www.nzmac.com
    Philip Roy, Mar 2, 2006
  4. Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > I'm pretty sure the ad says that iTunes store not available in NZ. I
    > wonder what the point of the ad is.

    I haven't tried it (because I prefer CDs), but apparently Apple have no
    way of knowing if you pretend you're Australian. Our credit cards use
    the same numbers of something.
    I'm A Trampoline, Mar 2, 2006
  5. Philip Roy Guest

    In article <du6gfo$66a$>,
    I'm A Trampoline <> wrote:

    > Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > >
    > > I'm pretty sure the ad says that iTunes store not available in NZ. I
    > > wonder what the point of the ad is.

    > I haven't tried it (because I prefer CDs), but apparently Apple have no
    > way of knowing if you pretend you're Australian. Our credit cards use
    > the same numbers of something.

    Some of us (such as me) got into the iTMS OZ site when it first
    launched, but they closed up that access I believe. My credit card
    expired recently and iTMS OZ refused to allow me to enter a new expiry
    date, saying the card wasn't valid for Australia.

    Phil
    Philip Roy, Mar 2, 2006
  6. Philip Guest

    Philip Roy wrote:
    > In article <du6gfo$66a$>,
    > I'm A Trampoline <> wrote:
    >
    >> Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >>> I'm pretty sure the ad says that iTunes store not available in NZ. I
    >>> wonder what the point of the ad is.

    >> I haven't tried it (because I prefer CDs), but apparently Apple have no
    >> way of knowing if you pretend you're Australian. Our credit cards use
    >> the same numbers of something.

    > Some of us (such as me) got into the iTMS OZ site when it first
    > launched, but they closed up that access I believe. My credit card
    > expired recently and iTMS OZ refused to allow me to enter a new expiry
    > date, saying the card wasn't valid for Australia.
    >
    > Phil

    Typical of Arrogant Apple, telling their customers where they have to live.

    Why do people so admire this company with its closed proprietary systems
    and region-coded music access?

    Philip
    Philip, Mar 3, 2006
  7. Mutlley Guest

    Philip <> wrote:

    >Philip Roy wrote:
    >> In article <du6gfo$66a$>,
    >> I'm A Trampoline <> wrote:

    >>> I haven't tried it (because I prefer CDs), but apparently Apple have no
    >>> way of knowing if you pretend you're Australian. Our credit cards use
    >>> the same numbers of something.

    >> Some of us (such as me) got into the iTMS OZ site when it first
    >> launched, but they closed up that access I believe. My credit card
    >> expired recently and iTMS OZ refused to allow me to enter a new expiry
    >> date, saying the card wasn't valid for Australia.
    >>
    >> Phil

    >Typical of Arrogant Apple, telling their customers where they have to live.
    >
    >Why do people so admire this company with its closed proprietary systems
    >and region-coded music access?
    >
    >Philip

    Is it Apple or the arrogant record companies??
    Mutlley, Mar 3, 2006
  8. Philip Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > Philip <> wrote:
    >
    >> Philip Roy wrote:

    >>> Some of us (such as me) got into the iTMS OZ site when it first
    >>> launched, but they closed up that access I believe. My credit card
    >>> expired recently and iTMS OZ refused to allow me to enter a new expiry
    >>> date, saying the card wasn't valid for Australia.
    >>>
    >>> Phil

    >> Typical of Arrogant Apple, telling their customers where they have to live.
    >>
    >> Why do people so admire this company with its closed proprietary systems
    >> and region-coded music access?
    >>
    >> Philip

    > Is it Apple or the arrogant record companies??

    A combination - but Apple has been assiduous in stripping ITunes users
    of their fair use rights, forcing them to download "upgrades" that
    impose more limits on what they can do, and locking down the ludicrously
    named "Fairplay" DRM so users can't play music they've already paid for
    how and when they want to.

    The OZ High Court already ruled in the XBox case that busting region
    coding is not an illegal circumvention of a content protection system
    under their copyright laws. I wonder if there is a lawyer in Oz that
    would like to argue that Apple's refusal to supply people living in New
    Zealand is a breach of Australia's WTO agreements, and the CER
    agreements between Oz & NZ.

    Philip
    Philip, Mar 3, 2006
  9. Philip Roy Guest

    In article <4407c1ae$>,
    Philip <> wrote:

    > Mutlley wrote:
    > > Philip <> wrote:

    > >> Typical of Arrogant Apple, telling their customers where they have to live.
    > >>
    > >> Why do people so admire this company with its closed proprietary systems
    > >> and region-coded music access?
    > >>
    > >> Philip

    > > Is it Apple or the arrogant record companies??
    > >

    > A combination - but Apple has been assiduous in stripping ITunes users
    > of their fair use rights, forcing them to download "upgrades" that
    > impose more limits on what they can do, and locking down the ludicrously
    > named "Fairplay" DRM so users can't play music they've already paid for
    > how and when they want to.
    >
    > The OZ High Court already ruled in the XBox case that busting region
    > coding is not an illegal circumvention of a content protection system
    > under their copyright laws. I wonder if there is a lawyer in Oz that
    > would like to argue that Apple's refusal to supply people living in New
    > Zealand is a breach of Australia's WTO agreements, and the CER
    > agreements between Oz & NZ.
    >
    > Philip

    Your mixing your issues...the Xbox example is a case of modifying
    effectively the player, not the content. The content would therefore
    still be copyrighted, still have regional information...as this comment
    says..

    "The judges, according to the Associated Press, decided that while
    pirating a game is one thing, playing an otherwise legit game using a
    mod chip is another"

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/06/aussie_chipmod/

    Therefore, the actual content as such on iTMS OZ would not be affected
    by this ruling and would still be under copyright...something CER
    doesn't wipe.

    Phil
    Philip Roy, Mar 3, 2006
  10. Philip Guest

    Philip Roy wrote:
    > In article <4407c1ae$>,
    > Philip <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mutlley wrote:

    >>> Is it Apple or the arrogant record companies??
    >>>

    >> A combination - but Apple has been assiduous in stripping ITunes users
    >> of their fair use rights, forcing them to download "upgrades" that
    >> impose more limits on what they can do, and locking down the ludicrously
    >> named "Fairplay" DRM so users can't play music they've already paid for
    >> how and when they want to.
    >>
    >> The OZ High Court already ruled in the XBox case that busting region
    >> coding is not an illegal circumvention of a content protection system
    >> under their copyright laws. I wonder if there is a lawyer in Oz that
    >> would like to argue that Apple's refusal to supply people living in New
    >> Zealand is a breach of Australia's WTO agreements, and the CER
    >> agreements between Oz & NZ.
    >>
    >> Philip

    > Your mixing your issues...the Xbox example is a case of modifying
    > effectively the player, not the content. The content would therefore
    > still be copyrighted, still have regional information...as this comment
    > says..
    >
    > "The judges, according to the Associated Press, decided that while
    > pirating a game is one thing, playing an otherwise legit game using a
    > mod chip is another"
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/06/aussie_chipmod/
    >
    > Therefore, the actual content as such on iTMS OZ would not be affected
    > by this ruling and would still be under copyright...something CER
    > doesn't wipe.
    >
    > Phil

    I have no problem with copyright - I do have a lot of problems with
    region coding.

    Philip
    Philip, Mar 3, 2006
  11. Jamie Walker Guest

    On 2006-03-03, Philip <> wrote:
    >> Some of us (such as me) got into the iTMS OZ site when it first
    >> launched, but they closed up that access I believe. My credit card
    >> expired recently and iTMS OZ refused to allow me to enter a new expiry
    >> date, saying the card wasn't valid for Australia.

    > Typical of Arrogant Apple, telling their customers where they have to live.

    What exactly are they supposed to do about it if the music companies refuse to
    agree to them selling to NZ?

    > Why do people so admire this company with its closed proprietary systems
    > and region-coded music access?

    Their products are less crap than the other proprietary systems out there?
    Jamie Walker, Mar 6, 2006