iTunes: moving a 'directory'

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by joevan, Jun 21, 2006.

  1. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:37:57 GMT, Luke O'Malley
    <> wrote:

    >I am using iTunes and I would like to use an external hard drive.
    >Is there someway I can transfer the files on the PC hard drive to
    >the external drive and 'locate' them with the program without having
    >to recreate all the 'subdirectories' I have in iTunes?
    >
    >I searched NG and could not find one for iTunes.
    >Goodwill,
    >Luke.

    I moved a bunch from my C drive to my F drive. Then I went to the I
    tunes and added the files to it. Check it out and see if you can figer
    it out. I did and it worked ok. Copy and paste first. Then if you
    can't make it go you got nothing to loose. I opened itunes, file, then
    add folder to library. See if that will do what you want before
    deleting anything.
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Jun 21, 2006

  2. joevan

    DJ Guest

    Luke O'Malley wrote:
    > I am using iTunes and I would like to use an external hard drive.
    > Is there someway I can transfer the files on the PC hard drive to
    > the external drive and 'locate' them with the program without having
    > to recreate all the 'subdirectories' I have in iTunes?
    >
    > I searched NG and could not find one for iTunes.
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke.

    AFAIK, yes. I switched my entire library from the C to D drive with no
    problem. IIRC, I right clicked each file and resaved it in the drive I
    selected. Then I instructed my peer to peer program (Limewire) to save
    directly to the new drive. Now, when I want to update iTunes, I 'add
    folder to library', and choose the appropriate directory in the new
    drive.

    I was having serious memory issues because the C drive was too full and
    this solved the problem with no real extra work on my part except for
    the initial re-saving of files. Everything now goes from Livewire to
    the D drive, then I add the folder to the iTunes library.

    --
    DJ
    DJ, Jun 21, 2006

  3. joevan

    FML Guest

    Luke O'Malley wrote:
    > I am using iTunes and I would like to use an external hard drive.
    > Is there someway I can transfer the files on the PC hard drive to
    > the external drive and 'locate' them with the program without having
    > to recreate all the 'subdirectories' I have in iTunes?
    >
    > I searched NG and could not find one for iTunes.
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke.

    These are the instructions I followed:

    <http://www.brooks-bilson.com/blogs/rob/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=6AE0A0A7-BD95-8DAB-DE16B46EB48026A9>
    FML, Jun 22, 2006
  4. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 01:44:15 GMT, Luke O'Malley
    <> wrote:

    >In article ,
    > joevan <> said:
    >-->
    >-->
    >-->On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:37:57 GMT, Luke O'Malley
    >--><> wrote:
    >-->
    >-->>I am using iTunes and I would like to use an external hard
    >-->drive.
    >-->>Is there someway I can transfer the files on the PC hard drive to
    >-->>the external drive and 'locate' them with the program without
    >-->having
    >-->>to recreate all the 'subdirectories' I have in iTunes?
    >-->>
    >-->>I searched NG and could not find one for iTunes.
    >-->>Goodwill,
    >-->>Luke.
    >-->>
    >-->I moved a bunch from my C drive to my F drive. Then I went to the
    >-->I
    >-->tunes and added the files to it. Check it out and see if you can
    >-->figer
    >-->it out. I did and it worked ok. Copy and paste first. Then if you
    >-->can't make it go you got nothing to loose. I opened itunes, file,
    >-->then
    >-->add folder to library. See if that will do what you want before
    >-->deleting anything.
    >-->--
    >-->"Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed
    >-->frequently
    >-->and for the same reason."
    >-->
    >-->
    >-->
    >
    >Hi JoeVan,
    >
    >Than you for replying. Let me see if I understand you correctly.
    >
    >Say I have a bunch of folders on C that hold files for iTunes. You
    >are suggesting that I copy one (or more) of these folders to my
    >external drive. Then I can go back to iTunes and add this folder
    >back from the external drive and everything will be OK.
    >
    >Is this it?
    >Luke

    As I said try it by copying them. Try it out if you can't make it work
    then try something else. It work for me. There is the option under
    file to add a folder to library. When you click on it, the file system
    comes up for you to pick the folder you want to add.
    Let me know how it goes.
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Jun 22, 2006
  5. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:55:06 GMT, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 01:44:15 GMT, Luke O'Malley
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In article ,
    >> joevan <> said:
    >>-->
    >>-->
    >>-->On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:37:57 GMT, Luke O'Malley
    >>--><> wrote:
    >>-->
    >>-->>I am using iTunes and I would like to use an external hard
    >>-->drive.
    >>-->>Is there someway I can transfer the files on the PC hard drive to
    >>-->>the external drive and 'locate' them with the program without
    >>-->having
    >>-->>to recreate all the 'subdirectories' I have in iTunes?
    >>-->>
    >>-->>I searched NG and could not find one for iTunes.
    >>-->>Goodwill,
    >>-->>Luke.
    >>-->>
    >>-->I moved a bunch from my C drive to my F drive. Then I went to the
    >>-->I
    >>-->tunes and added the files to it. Check it out and see if you can
    >>-->figer
    >>-->it out. I did and it worked ok. Copy and paste first. Then if you
    >>-->can't make it go you got nothing to loose. I opened itunes, file,
    >>-->then
    >>-->add folder to library. See if that will do what you want before
    >>-->deleting anything.
    >>-->--
    >>-->"Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed
    >>-->frequently
    >>-->and for the same reason."
    >>-->
    >>-->
    >>-->
    >>
    >>Hi JoeVan,
    >>
    >>Than you for replying. Let me see if I understand you correctly.
    >>
    >>Say I have a bunch of folders on C that hold files for iTunes. You
    >>are suggesting that I copy one (or more) of these folders to my
    >>external drive. Then I can go back to iTunes and add this folder
    >>back from the external drive and everything will be OK.
    >>
    >>Is this it?
    >>Luke
    >>

    >As I said try it by copying them. Try it out if you can't make it work
    >then try something else. It work for me. There is the option under
    >file to add a folder to library. When you click on it, the file system
    >comes up for you to pick the folder you want to add.
    >Let me know how it goes.

    Googling, I came up with this which can be quite useful.
    http://playlistmag.com/features/2005/08/shiftitunes/index.php
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Jun 22, 2006
  6. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:31:23 GMT, Luke O'Malley
    <> wrote:

    >-->
    >Hi JoVan!
    >
    >Ouch!!! That link is the answer. Many, many, many thanks. I don't
    >know why I didn't find it.
    >Luke

    You welcome and, the top of the day to ya.
    Sometimes we just don't get things to work the way we would like.
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Jun 22, 2006
  7. joevan

    FML Guest

    Luke O'Malley wrote:
    > In article ,
    > FML <> said:
    > -->
    > -->Luke O'Malley wrote:
    > -->> I am using iTunes and I would like to use an external hard
    > -->drive.
    > -->> Is there someway I can transfer the files on the PC hard drive
    > -->> the external drive and 'locate' them with the program without
    > -->having
    > -->> to recreate all the 'subdirectories' I have in iTunes?
    > -->>
    > -->> I searched NG and could not find one for iTunes.
    > -->> Goodwill,
    > -->> Luke.
    > -->>
    > -->
    > -->These are the instructions I followed:
    > -->
    > --><http://www.brooks-bilson.com/blogs/rob/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=
    > -->6AE0A0A7-BD95-8DAB-DE16B46EB48026A9>
    > -->
    > -->
    >
    > FML!
    >
    > Thanks, this is just what I was looking for.
    >
    > Luke

    You're welcome.

    My next project: To have a master music library that can be shared by 4
    members of the family with 4 iPods and 4 computers.

    Should be fun.
    FML, Jun 23, 2006
  8. joevan

    Mitch Guest

    In article <0xmmg.71$>, Luke O'Malley
    <> wrote:

    > I am puzzled by your suggestion. Are you suggesting that I resave
    > my 5000+ files to a new folder, and that will solve my problem? I
    > think I am missing something important.
    >
    > Let me try to make my problem clearer. I don't think that iTunes
    > saves the additional info, such as, year, genre, etc., into the
    > file, nor the internal directories that I have created. I believe
    > that is saved someplace else and pointed at the file. When I move
    > the files to a different drive, the program will no longer point to
    > file - I think. Is what you are suggesting that I take each of
    > these files, open each one, and save it to the new drive?

    iTunes writes most of that data into the file headers.
    What it doesn't store in the headers is information like Playlists,
    ratings, how often it's played, when it was last played, and related
    stuff. Those are written into an XML file and a settings file probably
    kept at the level right above the organized music folder level.

    You would not move those files; you would move the music folder and
    also point the program to the new location. iTunes needs to keep it's
    data files in a specific location, but the music itself can be
    somewhere else.
    (Under Mac OS, you can also move the data files, share them with other
    users, and more, but I'm not sure the same is true under Windows.)
    Mitch, Jun 23, 2006
  9. joevan

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, FML
    <> wrote:

    > You're welcome.
    >
    > My next project: To have a master music library that can be shared by 4
    > members of the family with 4 iPods and 4 computers.
    >
    > Should be fun.

    iTunes has a 'share library' setting right in the preferences -- turn
    it on, and you can share either the entire library or just certain
    playlists.

    When you connect, you will be able to share all of the music with all
    of the iPods, but music you purchased via the music store can be
    authorized only for five different devices -- so buy all that music
    from just one machine, then share it with four other authorized devices
    (computers or iPods).

    I think you'll find sharing music is very easy.
    Mitch, Jun 23, 2006
  10. In article v6Dmg.1092$,
    -->
    -->