iTunes causing all sorts of problems.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jamie, Mar 6, 2008.

  1. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    Hi, I hope someone can help me with this problem without being rude, like
    happened to me on another newsgroup. iTunes may not be a very popular
    program, I don't know, but it's the easiest way to sync my ipod and I like
    it, so please don't insult my intelligence for using it. Thank you very
    much.

    Anyway, here's what I posted on the other group:

    Every time I use iTunes to play music, if I try to load a webpage, when I
    scroll or anything, it causes the music to skip. That's with either IE or
    Firefox. If I browse the iTunes store, it does the same thing. Sometimes
    even scrolling through my music library causes skipping. Downloading
    anything through iTunes will cause the entire system to slow down. For
    instance, right now, I'm downloading a couple of podcasts, and it's slowing
    things down so much that sometimes I have to wait for what I'm typing here
    to show up, it's causing such a delay. This is a slightly old computer
    (running Windows XP), but I've kept everything as up to date as possible; I
    have all the latest versions of the programs, I have a gig of memory, I have
    a new sound card, and I don't have any weird stuff running in the background
    (that I'm aware of). Does anyone have any ideas that might help me solve
    this problem before I lose my mind? I love to listen to music, and iTunes
    is my favorite program to use for it. I can provide any additional info you
    might need, I'm just unsure what that'd be at this time. Let me know and
    I'll get it to you pronto. Thank you in advance!

    Jamie
    Jamie, Mar 6, 2008

  2. Jamie

    Paul Guest

    Jamie wrote:
    > Hi, I hope someone can help me with this problem without being rude, like
    > happened to me on another newsgroup. iTunes may not be a very popular
    > program, I don't know, but it's the easiest way to sync my ipod and I like
    > it, so please don't insult my intelligence for using it. Thank you very
    > much.
    >
    > Anyway, here's what I posted on the other group:
    >
    > Every time I use iTunes to play music, if I try to load a webpage, when I
    > scroll or anything, it causes the music to skip. That's with either IE or
    > Firefox. If I browse the iTunes store, it does the same thing. Sometimes
    > even scrolling through my music library causes skipping. Downloading
    > anything through iTunes will cause the entire system to slow down. For
    > instance, right now, I'm downloading a couple of podcasts, and it's slowing
    > things down so much that sometimes I have to wait for what I'm typing here
    > to show up, it's causing such a delay. This is a slightly old computer
    > (running Windows XP), but I've kept everything as up to date as possible; I
    > have all the latest versions of the programs, I have a gig of memory, I have
    > a new sound card, and I don't have any weird stuff running in the background
    > (that I'm aware of). Does anyone have any ideas that might help me solve
    > this problem before I lose my mind? I love to listen to music, and iTunes
    > is my favorite program to use for it. I can provide any additional info you
    > might need, I'm just unsure what that'd be at this time. Let me know and
    > I'll get it to you pronto. Thank you in advance!
    >
    > Jamie

    http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

    Windows Requirements

    * 32-bit editions of Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Vista
    * 64-bit editions of Windows Vista
    * 500 MHz Pentium class processor or better
    * QuickTime 7.1.6 or later (included)
    * 256MB RAM
    * Supported CD-R or DVD-R drive to burn CDs
    * Broadband Internet connection (DSL/Cable/LAN) for buying and streaming music

    Additional Video Requirements

    * 2GHz Pentium class processor or better
    * 512MB RAM
    * 32MB video RAM

    Now, that being said, this page has a few suggestions for a possible fix. The
    user comment section at the bottom of the page, continues the discussion. One
    person had a decent processor, and still had problems like yours.

    http://askbobrankin.com/itunes_music_skipping.html

    Apple also has its own forums, and it is possible there
    may be further suggestions in the appropriate forum here.

    http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa?categoryID=1

    As for ITunes, for some Apple products, it is mandatory.
    The iPod Touch, for example, doesn't support the USB
    Mass Storage standard, so you cannot just copy files onto
    it like a hard drive. So a program is needed, that knows
    how to talk to the Apple hardware. I understand ITunes also
    translates popular formats of media, into a form that
    can be used by the Apple hardware. All part of the package
    I guess.

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Mar 6, 2008

  3. Jamie

    sandy58 Guest

    On Mar 6, 3:26 am, "Jamie" <> wrote:
    > Hi, I hope someone can help me with this problem without being rude, like
    > happened to me on another newsgroup. iTunes may not be a very popular
    > program, I don't know, but it's the easiest way to sync my ipod and I like
    > it, so please don't insult my intelligence for using it. Thank you very
    > much.
    >
    > Anyway, here's what I posted on the other group:
    >
    > Every time I use iTunes to play music, if I try to load a webpage, when I
    > scroll or anything, it causes the music to skip. That's with either IE or
    > Firefox. If I browse the iTunes store, it does the same thing. Sometimes
    > even scrolling through my music library causes skipping. Downloading
    > anything through iTunes will cause the entire system to slow down. For
    > instance, right now, I'm downloading a couple of podcasts, and it's slowing
    > things down so much that sometimes I have to wait for what I'm typing here
    > to show up, it's causing such a delay. This is a slightly old computer
    > (running Windows XP), but I've kept everything as up to date as possible; I
    > have all the latest versions of the programs, I have a gig of memory, I have
    > a new sound card, and I don't have any weird stuff running in the background
    > (that I'm aware of). Does anyone have any ideas that might help me solve
    > this problem before I lose my mind? I love to listen to music, and iTunes
    > is my favorite program to use for it. I can provide any additional info you
    > might need, I'm just unsure what that'd be at this time. Let me know and
    > I'll get it to you pronto. Thank you in advance!
    >
    > Jamie

    Jamie, laddie, others told you "it was shit" etc. I saw that but
    that's just an honest opinion although in your mind they are being
    rude. You have two choices here. Either you can ignore the
    "rudeness" (obscenities) & suggest/ask them if they, in their wisdom,
    can suggest a working alternative. That way all are happy. Them 'cos
    they don't think you are taking the piss...and you 'cos YOU are being
    helped. Capishco? Second choice is that you stick to "net-nanny-type"
    news groups where all is sweetness & light...but totally bloody
    useless to all and sundry in the "help" stakes. Cock a big "D" (deaf
    ear) to the mild sweary wurdz, ole' Jamie-lad & grab the help....or
    sit around with your thumb up your bum & your brain in
    neutral....................... for EVER!!
    Right, so what are you using to listen to your music? Is this iTunes
    thingy a player or what? I know nada about the iTunes but you help me
    help you & see where we get to, OK? Me, I just use WMP 10 I think. Get
    my tunes from Limewire. Show me where you got this iTunes & I'll have
    a look for a better version.
    sandy58, Mar 6, 2008
  4. Jamie

    sandy58 Guest

    Jamie wrote:
    > Hi, I hope someone can help me with this problem without being rude, like
    > happened to me on another newsgroup. iTunes may not be a very popular
    > program, I don't know, but it's the easiest way to sync my ipod and I like
    > it, so please don't insult my intelligence for using it. Thank you very
    > much.
    >
    > Anyway, here's what I posted on the other group:
    >
    > Every time I use iTunes to play music, if I try to load a webpage, when I
    > scroll or anything, it causes the music to skip. That's with either IE or
    > Firefox. If I browse the iTunes store, it does the same thing. Sometimes
    > even scrolling through my music library causes skipping. Downloading
    > anything through iTunes will cause the entire system to slow down. For
    > instance, right now, I'm downloading a couple of podcasts, and it's slowing
    > things down so much that sometimes I have to wait for what I'm typing here
    > to show up, it's causing such a delay. This is a slightly old computer
    > (running Windows XP), but I've kept everything as up to date as possible; I
    > have all the latest versions of the programs, I have a gig of memory, I have
    > a new sound card, and I don't have any weird stuff running in the background
    > (that I'm aware of). Does anyone have any ideas that might help me solve
    > this problem before I lose my mind? I love to listen to music, and iTunes
    > is my favorite program to use for it. I can provide any additional info you
    > might need, I'm just unsure what that'd be at this time. Let me know and
    > I'll get it to you pronto. Thank you in advance!
    >
    > Jamie

    Hi, Jamie. Had a wee look around, called my daughter & asking you if
    this is the kinda thing you have problems with. Have a look here.
    Don't forget that I'm a noobie at this stuff, iTunes etc. :)
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/overview/
    sandy58, Mar 6, 2008
  5. Jamie

    sandy58 Guest

    On Mar 6, 3:26 am, "Jamie" <> wrote:
    > Hi, I hope someone can help me with this problem without being rude, like
    > happened to me on another newsgroup. iTunes may not be a very popular
    > program, I don't know, but it's the easiest way to sync my ipod and I like
    > it, so please don't insult my intelligence for using it. Thank you very
    > much.
    >
    > Anyway, here's what I posted on the other group:
    >
    > Every time I use iTunes to play music, if I try to load a webpage, when I
    > scroll or anything, it causes the music to skip. That's with either IE or
    > Firefox. If I browse the iTunes store, it does the same thing. Sometimes
    > even scrolling through my music library causes skipping. Downloading
    > anything through iTunes will cause the entire system to slow down. For
    > instance, right now, I'm downloading a couple of podcasts, and it's slowing
    > things down so much that sometimes I have to wait for what I'm typing here
    > to show up, it's causing such a delay. This is a slightly old computer
    > (running Windows XP), but I've kept everything as up to date as possible; I
    > have all the latest versions of the programs, I have a gig of memory, I have
    > a new sound card, and I don't have any weird stuff running in the background
    > (that I'm aware of). Does anyone have any ideas that might help me solve
    > this problem before I lose my mind? I love to listen to music, and iTunes
    > is my favorite program to use for it. I can provide any additional info you
    > might need, I'm just unsure what that'd be at this time. Let me know and
    > I'll get it to you pronto. Thank you in advance!
    >
    > Jamie

    OK, Jamie. Have a look at this list. I'm sure I can manage to
    get you the full version of any of this list. Repost with your choice,
    ole' chum.
    ATB.
    sandy58

    iTunes for Windows 7.42

    Tunebite 3.0.1.8 Platinum

    Vista Mini Player

    Tunebite Platinum 4.1.0.22

    StationRipper 2.84
    (Want to Record Internet Radio?
    Get thousands of sounds every few
    hours? Record your favorite
    Shoutcast Radio or TV show?
    Record Last.fm, iTunes radio,
    or Podcasts? Then download the
    latest version of StationRipper now!)

    GoodSync 6.23

    Sharepod 3.6.3
    (A Windows program which copies music to/from
    your iPod without the need for iTunes and
    shares music with non-iPod friends.
    With SharePod, nothing needs to be installed
    on the PC, the program is stored and run from your iPod.
    All you need to do is plug your iPod into a computer
    and run SharePod.exe.)
    sandy58, Mar 6, 2008
  6. I think you have hardware problems, not iTunes trouble.

    I have an old machine that runs iTunes Radio for hours on end, and never any
    problem. I'm connected through Verizon FiOS, so perhaps speed or bandwidth
    is your trouble.

    Try selecting a lower speed option, this will affect the audio quality, but
    I doubt you will notice.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 6, 2008
  7. Jamie

    sandy58 Guest

    On Mar 6, 11:53 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > I think you have hardware problems, not iTunes trouble.
    >
    > I have an old machine that runs iTunes Radio for hours on end, and never any
    > problem. I'm connected through Verizon FiOS, so perhaps speed or bandwidth
    > is your trouble.
    >
    > Try selecting a lower speed option, this will affect the audio quality, but
    > I doubt you will notice.
    >
    > "Jamie" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi, I hope someone can help me with this problem without being rude, like
    > > happened to me on another newsgroup. iTunes may not be a very popular
    > > program, I don't know, but it's the easiest way to sync my ipod and I like
    > > it, so please don't insult my intelligence for using it. Thank you very
    > > much.

    > > Anyway, here's what I posted on the other group:

    > > Every time I use iTunes to play music, if I try to load a webpage, when I
    > > scroll or anything, it causes the music to skip. That's with either IE or
    > > Firefox. If I browse the iTunes store, it does the same thing. Sometimes
    > > even scrolling through my music library causes skipping. Downloading
    > > anything through iTunes will cause the entire system to slow down. For
    > > instance, right now, I'm downloading a couple of podcasts, and it's
    > > slowing things down so much that sometimes I have to wait for what I'm
    > > typing here to show up, it's causing such a delay. This is a slightly old
    > > computer (running Windows XP), but I've kept everything as up to date as
    > > possible; I have all the latest versions of the programs, I have a gig of
    > > memory, I have a new sound card, and I don't have any weird stuff running
    > > in the background (that I'm aware of). Does anyone have any ideas that
    > > might help me solve this problem before I lose my mind? I love to listen
    > > to music, and iTunes is my favorite program to use for it. I can provide
    > > any additional info you might need, I'm just unsure what that'd be at this
    > > time. Let me know and I'll get it to you pronto. Thank you in advance!

    > > Jamie

    I'm a bit clueless with iPods/iTunes etc. Jeff. I consult my daughter
    about any of this sort. :-(
    sandy58, Mar 7, 2008