iTunes: Burning large file

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mhicaoidh, Aug 26, 2006.

  1. mhicaoidh

    mhicaoidh Guest

    I purchased an audio book via iTunes, and I would like to have it on my
    Creative Jukebox Zen II MP3 player. However, iTunes will only burn MP3s
    to CDs. Files burned to DVDs are still in proprietary format. The
    issue is that the audio file, when converted to MP3 is larger than what
    will fit on a normal CD-R. What I would normally do is burn it to a
    CD-RW as an audio CD, rip the tracks to MP3, and then erase the disk ...

    So, what I need is a virtual CD-RW program that will allow me to set a
    custom size (possibly to larger than 1 GB) for a virtual CD-R. I tried
    Original CD Emulator, but while it allowed for custom settings for the
    size of virtual DVDs, it was limited to 700 MB max for the CD-R setting
    which wasn't big enough. I also tried Virtual CD 8.0, but found it
    lacking with errors loading DLLs.

    Also since I am using iTunes 6, Hymn and the other program dosn't work.
    Does anyone have any suggestions, short of buying an iPod, on how I can
    get this large file converted to MP3 so I can play it on my MP3 player?

    TIA

    Sorry if this appears twice, the first post was reported as having been
    removed.
    mhicaoidh, Aug 26, 2006

  2. mhicaoidh

    doS Guest

    rip to mp3, and get audiograbber to convert back to the bitrate you want.
    audiograbber is free.

    doS, Aug 26, 2006

  3. mhicaoidh

    Alan Guest

    doS wrote:
    > rip to mp3, and get audiograbber to convert back to the bitrate you want.
    > audiograbber is free.
    >
    > "mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailS­PäM.com> wrote in message
    >> I purchased an audio book via iTunes, and I would like to have it on my
    >> Creative Jukebox Zen II MP3 player. However, iTunes will only burn MP3s
    >> to CDs. Files burned to DVDs are still in proprietary format. The
    >> issue is that the audio file, when converted to MP3 is larger than what
    >> will fit on a normal CD-R. What I would normally do is burn it to a
    >> CD-RW as an audio CD, rip the tracks to MP3, and then erase the disk ...
    >>
    >> So, what I need is a virtual CD-RW program that will allow me to set a
    >> custom size (possibly to larger than 1 GB) for a virtual CD-R. I tried
    >> Original CD Emulator, but while it allowed for custom settings for the
    >> size of virtual DVDs, it was limited to 700 MB max for the CD-R setting
    >> which wasn't big enough. I also tried Virtual CD 8.0, but found it
    >> lacking with errors loading DLLs.
    >>
    >> Also since I am using iTunes 6, Hymn and the other program dosn't work.
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions, short of buying an iPod, on how I can
    >> get this large file converted to MP3 so I can play it on my MP3 player?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Sorry if this appears twice, the first post was reported as having been
    >> removed.

    What format & size is the audio book?
    Alan, Aug 26, 2006
  4. mhicaoidh

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, doS mused:

    | rip to mp3, and get audiograbber to convert back to the bitrate you
    | want. audiograbber is free.

    Can't rip to MP3 since it is iTunes protected format ... besides, no
    CD is big enough to hold it, and iTunes only burns data (not MP3) to
    DVD.
    mhicaoidh, Aug 29, 2006
  5. mhicaoidh

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Alan mused:

    | What format & size is the audio book?

    File has extension ".m4b" and is 30.1 MB ...
    mhicaoidh, Aug 29, 2006
  6. mhicaoidh

    Alan Guest

    mhicaoidh wrote:
    > Taking a moment's reflection, Alan mused:
    > |
    > | What format & size is the audio book?
    >
    > File has extension ".m4b" and is 30.1 MB ...

    http://www.google.com/search?source...s=GGLG,GGLG:2005-21,GGLG:en&q=convert m4b mp3

    Looks like there are some hacks out there. Most will allow you do get a
    30 second snippit for free to prove it works. May not be worth it for 1
    file, but If you'll be doing this often for ipod only files, it'd be
    worth it.
    Alan, Aug 29, 2006
  7. mhicaoidh

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Alan mused:

    http://www.google.com/search?source...s=GGLG,GGLG:2005-21,GGLG:en&q=convert m4b mp3

    | Looks like there are some hacks out there. Most will allow you do
    | get a 30 second snippit for free to prove it works. May not be worth
    | it for 1 file, but If you'll be doing this often for ipod only files,
    | it'd be worth it.

    This led me to TuneBite, which does appear to work. But, like you
    say, may not be worth it at US$20 ... :-( Thanks for the lead though!!
    mhicaoidh, Sep 1, 2006
  8. mhicaoidh

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, mhicaoidh mused:

    | This led me to TuneBite, which does appear to work. But, like you
    | say, may not be worth it at US$20 ... :-( Thanks for the lead
    | though!!

    Well, I broke down and ponied up the cash. It converted the audio
    book iTunes 6 files into MP3 format with no issues.
    mhicaoidh, Sep 1, 2006