ITunes Australia opened...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Aaron Lawrence, Oct 31, 2005.

  1. http://tinyurl.com/7l7ug

    But without NZ involved or even planned. How freaking pathetic. I guess
    the NZ industry sat on their ass and did nothing. Now it's probably safe
    to assume it will never happen because negotiating just for NZ is not
    going to be worth Apple's while.

    So, clearly P2P is the only answer we're going to get.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke
    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 31, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In <> Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > http://tinyurl.com/7l7ug
    >
    > But without NZ involved or even planned. How freaking pathetic. I
    > guess the NZ industry sat on their ass and did nothing. Now it's
    > probably safe to assume it will never happen because negotiating just
    > for NZ is not going to be worth Apple's while.
    >
    > So, clearly P2P is the only answer we're going to get.


    Yes, it's a shame there's absolutely no way to legally buy music in New
    Zealand. You'd think some enterprising person would find a way around it.
    Perhaps someone could set up a service where they would download the
    albums from an online store and burn them to a CD for you. Hell, maybe
    they could come up with an arrangement with the publishers where they
    could just get the music straight from them, and even get some CDs
    pressed with music on them, and if there was enough demand they could
    even sell them through shops in every town.

    Yes, it's a pity that no one's thought of doing that.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand
    http://roger.geek.nz/
    ________________________________________________________________________
    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

    Kryten, from the Red Dwarf episode "The Last Day"
    Roger Johnstone, Oct 31, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > In <> Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >
    >>http://tinyurl.com/7l7ug
    >>
    >>But without NZ involved or even planned. How freaking pathetic. I
    >>guess the NZ industry sat on their ass and did nothing. Now it's
    >>probably safe to assume it will never happen because negotiating just
    >>for NZ is not going to be worth Apple's while.
    >>
    >>So, clearly P2P is the only answer we're going to get.

    >
    >
    > Yes, it's a shame there's absolutely no way to legally buy music in New
    > Zealand. You'd think some enterprising person would find a way around it.


    There are several - including http://www.cokefridge.co.nz/
    http://digirama.co.nz/ and http://www.amplifier.co.nz/

    > Perhaps someone could set up a service where they would download the
    > albums from an online store and burn them to a CD for you. Hell, maybe
    > they could come up with an arrangement with the publishers where they
    > could just get the music straight from them, and even get some CDs
    > pressed with music on them, and if there was enough demand they could
    > even sell them through shops in every town.


    It seems its illegal to format shift from CD to digital media so you can
    put it on a portable audio device. Don't know what all the white earbud
    attired crowd are listening to then...

    > Yes, it's a pity that no one's thought of doing that.
    >
    Nathan Mercer, Oct 31, 2005
    #3
  4. Aaron Lawrence

    shannon Guest

    Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > In <> Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/7l7ug
    >>
    >> But without NZ involved or even planned. How freaking pathetic. I
    >> guess the NZ industry sat on their ass and did nothing. Now it's
    >> probably safe to assume it will never happen because negotiating just
    >> for NZ is not going to be worth Apple's while.
    >>
    >> So, clearly P2P is the only answer we're going to get.

    >
    > Yes, it's a shame there's absolutely no way to legally buy music in New
    > Zealand. You'd think some enterprising person would find a way around it.
    > Perhaps someone could set up a service where they would download the
    > albums from an online store and burn them to a CD for you. Hell, maybe
    > they could come up with an arrangement with the publishers where they
    > could just get the music straight from them, and even get some CDs
    > pressed with music on them, and if there was enough demand they could
    > even sell them through shops in every town.
    >
    > Yes, it's a pity that no one's thought of doing that.
    >


    A legal method of copying the content of those CDs onto a portable mp3
    player would be nice.

    The law is a buggers muddle, and Apple are selling their ipods with
    itunes and generating an expectation from the naive and gullible public
    that the first step of the itunes setup, to go to the online store will
    work.

    Its bullshit Roger, so stop the sarcastic wank.
    shannon, Oct 31, 2005
    #4
  5. Aaron Lawrence

    shannon Guest

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > http://tinyurl.com/7l7ug
    >
    > But without NZ involved or even planned. How freaking pathetic. I guess
    > the NZ industry sat on their ass and did nothing. Now it's probably safe
    > to assume it will never happen because negotiating just for NZ is not
    > going to be worth Apple's while.
    >
    > So, clearly P2P is the only answer we're going to get.
    >

    Why rant and whine about "the NZ industry" its as much your fault as theirs.
    The Itunes store service is solely Apples responsibility.
    Take your ipod back to the store and tell them that Apple is not
    delivering the package of capabilities you bought.
    shannon, Oct 31, 2005
    #5
  6. Aaron Lawrence

    Mutlley Guest

    Nathan Mercer <> wrote:

    >Roger Johnstone wrote:
    >> In <> Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://tinyurl.com/7l7ug
    >>>
    >>>But without NZ involved or even planned. How freaking pathetic. I
    >>>guess the NZ industry sat on their ass and did nothing. Now it's
    >>>probably safe to assume it will never happen because negotiating just
    >>>for NZ is not going to be worth Apple's while.
    >>>
    >>>So, clearly P2P is the only answer we're going to get.

    >>
    >>
    >> Yes, it's a shame there's absolutely no way to legally buy music in New
    >> Zealand. You'd think some enterprising person would find a way around it.

    >
    >There are several - including http://www.cokefridge.co.nz/
    >http://digirama.co.nz/ and http://www.amplifier.co.nz/
    >
    >> Perhaps someone could set up a service where they would download the
    >> albums from an online store and burn them to a CD for you. Hell, maybe
    >> they could come up with an arrangement with the publishers where they
    >> could just get the music straight from them, and even get some CDs
    >> pressed with music on them, and if there was enough demand they could
    >> even sell them through shops in every town.

    >
    >It seems its illegal to format shift from CD to digital media so you can
    >put it on a portable audio device. Don't know what all the white earbud
    >attired crowd are listening to then...
    >
    >> Yes, it's a pity that no one's thought of doing that.
    >>


    Forget Cokefridge if you use a browser other than IE6 You get chucked
    out with
    "the site you have tried to enter requires Internet Explorer 6 with
    Windows Media Player 7 (or later) on Windows XP, 2000, Me or 98. To
    email our customer support team"

    Digirama . fairly limited for what I want and at $1.69 slightly
    expensive..

    Amplifier at $ 1.99 you may as well got to the Warehouse and buy the
    CD..Also limited choice.
    Mutlley, Oct 31, 2005
    #6
  7. Mutlley wrote:
    >>>>http://tinyurl.com/7l7ug
    >>>>
    >>>>But without NZ involved or even planned. How freaking pathetic. I
    >>>>guess the NZ industry sat on their ass and did nothing. Now it's
    >>>>probably safe to assume it will never happen because negotiating just
    >>>>for NZ is not going to be worth Apple's while.
    >>>>
    >>>>So, clearly P2P is the only answer we're going to get.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Yes, it's a shame there's absolutely no way to legally buy music in New
    >>>Zealand. You'd think some enterprising person would find a way around it.

    >>
    >>There are several - including http://www.cokefridge.co.nz/
    >>http://digirama.co.nz/ and http://www.amplifier.co.nz/
    >>
    >>
    >>>Perhaps someone could set up a service where they would download the
    >>>albums from an online store and burn them to a CD for you. Hell, maybe
    >>>they could come up with an arrangement with the publishers where they
    >>>could just get the music straight from them, and even get some CDs
    >>>pressed with music on them, and if there was enough demand they could
    >>>even sell them through shops in every town.

    >>
    >>It seems its illegal to format shift from CD to digital media so you can
    >>put it on a portable audio device. Don't know what all the white earbud
    >>attired crowd are listening to then...
    >>
    >>
    >>>Yes, it's a pity that no one's thought of doing that.
    >>>

    >
    >
    > Forget Cokefridge if you use a browser other than IE6 You get chucked
    > out with
    > "the site you have tried to enter requires Internet Explorer 6 with
    > Windows Media Player 7 (or later) on Windows XP, 2000, Me or 98. To
    > email our customer support team"
    >
    > Digirama . fairly limited for what I want and at $1.69 slightly
    > expensive..
    >
    > Amplifier at $ 1.99 you may as well got to the Warehouse and buy the
    > CD..Also limited choice.


    Agreed, but there are ways to legally buy music, and even ways to
    legally buy music digitally and online...
    Nathan Mercer, Nov 1, 2005
    #7
  8. Aaron Lawrence

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 12:40:28 +1300, Mutlley wrote:

    > Forget Cokefridge if you use a browser other than IE6 You get chucked
    > out with
    > "the site you have tried to enter requires Internet Explorer 6 with
    > Windows Media Player 7 (or later) on Windows XP, 2000, Me or 98. To
    > email our customer support team"
    >
    > Digirama . fairly limited for what I want and at $1.69 slightly
    > expensive..
    >
    > Amplifier at $ 1.99 you may as well got to the Warehouse and buy the
    > CD..Also limited choice.


    Market forces are governing.
    Gordon, Nov 1, 2005
    #8
  9. Aaron Lawrence

    Robert Cooze Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > Roger Johnstone wrote:
    >
    >> In <> Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/7l7ug
    >>>
    >>> But without NZ involved or even planned. How freaking pathetic. I
    >>> guess the NZ industry sat on their ass and did nothing. Now it's
    >>> probably safe to assume it will never happen because negotiating
    >>> just for NZ is not going to be worth Apple's while.
    >>>
    >>> So, clearly P2P is the only answer we're going to get.

    >>
    >>
    >> Yes, it's a shame there's absolutely no way to legally buy music in
    >> New Zealand. You'd think some enterprising person would find a way
    >> around it. Perhaps someone could set up a service where they would
    >> download the albums from an online store and burn them to a CD for
    >> you. Hell, maybe they could come up with an arrangement with the
    >> publishers where they could just get the music straight from them, and
    >> even get some CDs pressed with music on them, and if there was enough
    >> demand they could even sell them through shops in every town.
    >>
    >> Yes, it's a pity that no one's thought of doing that.
    >>

    >
    > A legal method of copying the content of those CDs onto a portable mp3
    > player would be nice.
    >
    > The law is a buggers muddle, and Apple are selling their ipods with
    > itunes and generating an expectation from the naive and gullible public
    > that the first step of the itunes setup, to go to the online store will
    > work.
    >
    > Its bullshit Roger, so stop the sarcastic wank.


    Shock Horror there are some people that actually think all you just need
    is the ipod never mind about the pc. Talk about great marketing. It is
    almost like they dont know what an ipod actualy is but they wont one.

    --
    http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze

    / __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
    / / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
    ___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/
    Robert Cooze, Nov 1, 2005
    #9
  10. Aaron Lawrence

    Robert Cooze Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >
    >> http://tinyurl.com/7l7ug
    >>
    >> But without NZ involved or even planned. How freaking pathetic. I
    >> guess the NZ industry sat on their ass and did nothing. Now it's
    >> probably safe to assume it will never happen because negotiating just
    >> for NZ is not going to be worth Apple's while.
    >>
    >> So, clearly P2P is the only answer we're going to get.
    >>

    > Why rant and whine about "the NZ industry" its as much your fault as
    > theirs.
    > The Itunes store service is solely Apples responsibility.
    > Take your ipod back to the store and tell them that Apple is not
    > delivering the package of capabilities you bought.

    That sounds Like a CGA complant.

    How do you use the nice shiny palstic thing with out breaking the law?

    ROTFL

    The last person I spoke to was very clear on the fact format shifting is
    verry aganst the law in NZ it is just they turn a blind eye to it
    unofficialy. Imagine police with a scearc warrent to bust little johny
    with his Ipod.
    --
    http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze

    / __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
    / / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
    ___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/
    Robert Cooze, Nov 1, 2005
    #10
  11. Aaron Lawrence

    Mutlley Guest

    Gordon <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 12:40:28 +1300, Mutlley wrote:
    >
    >> Forget Cokefridge if you use a browser other than IE6 You get chucked
    >> out with
    >> "the site you have tried to enter requires Internet Explorer 6 with
    >> Windows Media Player 7 (or later) on Windows XP, 2000, Me or 98. To
    >> email our customer support team"
    >>
    >> Digirama . fairly limited for what I want and at $1.69 slightly
    >> expensive..
    >>
    >> Amplifier at $ 1.99 you may as well got to the Warehouse and buy the
    >> CD..Also limited choice.

    >
    >Market forces are governing.


    More like price gouging
    Mutlley, Nov 1, 2005
    #11
  12. Aaron Lawrence

    Rob Guest

    "Aaron Lawrence" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > http://tinyurl.com/7l7ug
    >
    > But without NZ involved or even planned. How freaking pathetic. I guess
    > the NZ industry sat on their ass and did nothing. Now it's probably safe
    > to assume it will never happen because negotiating just for NZ is not
    > going to be worth Apple's while.
    >
    > So, clearly P2P is the only answer we're going to get.
    >
    > --
    > aaronl at consultant dot com
    > For every expert, there is an equal and
    > opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke


    Apparently NZers can buy on the itunes oz. This is because the NZ & Aus
    credit card numbers are similar.
    Rob, Nov 2, 2005
    #12
  13. At that very moment, Roger Johnstone turned to nz.comp and said
    > Yes, it's a shame there's absolutely no way to legally buy music in New
    > Zealand.


    Uhm, nice strawman.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke
    Aaron Lawrence, Nov 2, 2005
    #13
  14. At that very moment, shannon turned to nz.comp and said
    > Why rant and whine about "the NZ industry" its as much your fault as theirs.


    What? It's my fault that there isn't a decent legal download service
    available to New Zealanders?

    > The Itunes store service is solely Apples responsibility.


    It's possible, I suppose, that Apple simply didn't bother with NZ. But
    given all the previous rumours its more likely that the NZ branches
    wanted to be special and made it too much trouble.

    > Take your ipod back to the store and tell them that Apple is not
    > delivering the package of capabilities you bought.


    I don't have an iPod.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke
    Aaron Lawrence, Nov 2, 2005
    #14
  15. Aaron Lawrence

    Mutlley Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote:

    >
    >"Aaron Lawrence" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> http://tinyurl.com/7l7ug
    >>
    >> But without NZ involved or even planned. How freaking pathetic. I guess
    >> the NZ industry sat on their ass and did nothing. Now it's probably safe
    >> to assume it will never happen because negotiating just for NZ is not
    >> going to be worth Apple's while.
    >>
    >> So, clearly P2P is the only answer we're going to get.
    >>
    >> --
    >> aaronl at consultant dot com
    >> For every expert, there is an equal and
    >> opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

    >
    >Apparently NZers can buy on the itunes oz. This is because the NZ & Aus
    >credit card numbers are similar.
    >


    You've tried it then???? Let us know how it worked..
    Mutlley, Nov 2, 2005
    #15
  16. Aaron Lawrence

    shannon Guest

    On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 23:38:45 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:

    > At that very moment, shannon turned to nz.comp and said
    >> Why rant and whine about "the NZ industry" its as much your fault as theirs.

    >
    > What? It's my fault that there isn't a decent legal download service
    > available to New Zealanders?



    As much as its the fault of the rest of the industry, yes.
    Set one up.


    >
    >> The Itunes store service is solely Apples responsibility.

    >
    > It's possible, I suppose, that Apple simply didn't bother with NZ. But
    > given all the previous rumours its more likely that the NZ branches
    > wanted to be special and made it too much trouble.



    Its also possible that they just haven't got around to it yet.
    >
    >> Take your ipod back to the store and tell them that Apple is not
    >> delivering the package of capabilities you bought.

    >
    > I don't have an iPod.



    You probably won't buy DRM protected tracks that won't play on anything
    else at $1.99 per track then.
    Back to the being an illegal p2p leech.
    shannon, Nov 2, 2005
    #16
  17. Aaron Lawrence

    Rob Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "Rob" <> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >"Aaron Lawrence" <> wrote in message
    > >news:...
    > >> http://tinyurl.com/7l7ug
    > >>
    > >> But without NZ involved or even planned. How freaking pathetic. I guess
    > >> the NZ industry sat on their ass and did nothing. Now it's probably

    safe
    > >> to assume it will never happen because negotiating just for NZ is not
    > >> going to be worth Apple's while.
    > >>
    > >> So, clearly P2P is the only answer we're going to get.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> aaronl at consultant dot com
    > >> For every expert, there is an equal and
    > >> opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

    > >
    > >Apparently NZers can buy on the itunes oz. This is because the NZ & Aus
    > >credit card numbers are similar.
    > >

    >
    > You've tried it then???? Let us know how it worked..


    It was discussed as an article on http://arstechnica.com/index.ars

    NZ customers enter your state as NSW and your postcode as 2000.
    Rob, Nov 3, 2005
    #17
  18. In <> Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > At that very moment, Roger Johnstone turned to nz.comp and said
    >> Yes, it's a shame there's absolutely no way to legally buy music in
    >> New Zealand.

    >
    > Uhm, nice strawman.


    I was using sarcasm to reply to the original poster's 'So, clearly P2P
    is the only answer we're going to get.' He seemed to think that if he
    couldn't buy music from the iTunes store then his only alternative was
    to download it without paying for it. I was pointing out that he still
    has other ways of buying it.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand
    http://roger.geek.nz/
    ________________________________________________________________________
    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

    Kryten, from the Red Dwarf episode "The Last Day"
    Roger Johnstone, Nov 3, 2005
    #18
  19. Aaron Lawrence

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Mutlley <> wrote:

    > >Apparently NZers can buy on the itunes oz. This is because the NZ & Aus
    > >credit card numbers are similar.
    > >

    >
    > You've tried it then???? Let us know how it worked..


    I've bought three things from the Aussie ITMS using my free Apple online
    developer account: a single, an album, and a music video. No problems.

    It appears that many years ago I entered my address into Apple's system
    with the state set as "NT (being the closest looking thing tio NZ ;-) ).

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Hoult | 174.8263E | /\ here. | ----------O----------
    Bruce Hoult, Nov 3, 2005
    #19
  20. In article <>,
    Bruce Hoult <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Mutlley <> wrote:



    > > You've tried it then???? Let us know how it worked..


    > I've bought three things from the Aussie ITMS using my free Apple online
    > developer account: a single, an album, and a music video. No problems.
    >
    > It appears that many years ago I entered my address into Apple's system
    > with the state set as "NT (being the closest looking thing tio NZ ;-) ).


    I've bought a couple of singles and a couple of music videos myself.
    Throughout last week, people were reporting that New Zealanders' access
    had been cut off but I haven't experienced any disruption to the service.

    I haven't tried purchasing anything this week, so I might give it
    another go during the weekend.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    www.alastair.geek.nz

    Any opinions expressed in this posting are my own, and do not
    necessarily reflect the views of any other individual or organisation.
    Alastair.geek.nz, Nov 3, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Incognito

    Unable to delete opened NAT ports

    Incognito, Mar 1, 2005, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    438
  2. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    577
    Walter Roberson
    Oct 24, 2005
  3. Goonigoogoo
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,152
    ┬░Mike┬░
    Sep 11, 2003
  4. Morph
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    680
    Plato
    Feb 1, 2005
  5. Richard Fangnail

    Apple Itunes - "Accessing Itunes Store" hangs

    Richard Fangnail, Dec 8, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    8,840
    Richard Fangnail
    Dec 8, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page