iTunes and Quicktime

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Oct 15, 2005.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Is this just me (or my system), or are others having the same experience?

    I've had Quicktime loaded on this Windows PC for ages, and although the
    hardware isn't high spec, everything always worked fine. I could always
    watch the Apple webcasts, too. They are usually worth watching just for
    Job's showmanship.

    But wanting to watch last week's special event, I find I had to download
    QT7.0.3 - and even worse, this is bundled now, with iTunes. I don't like
    iTunes. It will only output to the default audio device, which is
    useless for my setup. And 60+MB of memory usage just for a media player
    is outrageous. Even Firefox is better than that these days.

    After installing, I find that the QT plugin no longer works in Firefox
    (1.5B2) but is fine in Mozilla - no problem.

    But it is now impossible to watch the streaming webcast as QT now pegs
    the cpu at 100% and barely crawls along.

    It looks to me as though the webcast is being streamed in a HD format
    that neither my system or ADSL connection is capable of supporting, and
    in addition, the system requirements for Quicktime are now so
    ridiculously high as to make the product useless on older hardware. Even
    using QT to play local files has turned into a very slow and frustrating
    experience.

    Any other people's experiences or thoughts?

    -=rjh=-, Oct 15, 2005

  2. -=rjh=-

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <4350605e$>, -=rjh=- <>
    wrote:

    > Is this just me (or my system), or are others having the same experience?
    >
    > I've had Quicktime loaded on this Windows PC for ages, and although the
    > hardware isn't high spec, everything always worked fine. I could always
    > watch the Apple webcasts, too. They are usually worth watching just for
    > Job's showmanship.
    >
    > But wanting to watch last week's special event, I find I had to download
    > QT7.0.3 - and even worse, this is bundled now, with iTunes. I don't like
    > iTunes. It will only output to the default audio device, which is
    > useless for my setup. And 60+MB of memory usage just for a media player
    > is outrageous. Even Firefox is better than that these days.
    >
    > After installing, I find that the QT plugin no longer works in Firefox
    > (1.5B2) but is fine in Mozilla - no problem.
    >
    > But it is now impossible to watch the streaming webcast as QT now pegs
    > the cpu at 100% and barely crawls along.
    >
    > It looks to me as though the webcast is being streamed in a HD format
    > that neither my system or ADSL connection is capable of supporting, and
    > in addition, the system requirements for Quicktime are now so
    > ridiculously high as to make the product useless on older hardware. Even
    > using QT to play local files has turned into a very slow and frustrating
    > experience.
    >
    > Any other people's experiences or thoughts?

    You can choose not to download iTunes by clicking on the standalone
    install that was on the QT page...
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html

    Have you got QT set to your bandwidth speed? I'm watching the stream
    here at home on the slowest broadband speed and it's playing fine...I
    suspect you have your bandwidth setting in QT too high.

    Phil
    --
    NZMac.com - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
    http://www.nzmac.com

    Philip Roy, Oct 15, 2005

  3. -=rjh=-

    bambam Guest

    -=rjh=- <> wrote in news:4350605e$:

    > Is this just me (or my system), or are others having the same

    experience?

    > I've had Quicktime loaded on this Windows PC for ages, and although the
    > hardware isn't high spec, everything always worked fine. I could always
    > watch the Apple webcasts, too. They are usually worth watching just for
    > Job's showmanship.
    >
    > But wanting to watch last week's special event, I find I had to

    download
    > QT7.0.3 - and even worse, this is bundled now, with iTunes. I don't

    like
    > iTunes. It will only output to the default audio device, which is
    > useless for my setup. And 60+MB of memory usage just for a media player
    > is outrageous. Even Firefox is better than that these days.
    >
    > After installing, I find that the QT plugin no longer works in Firefox
    > (1.5B2) but is fine in Mozilla - no problem.
    >
    > But it is now impossible to watch the streaming webcast as QT now pegs
    > the cpu at 100% and barely crawls along.
    >
    > It looks to me as though the webcast is being streamed in a HD format
    > that neither my system or ADSL connection is capable of supporting, and
    > in addition, the system requirements for Quicktime are now so
    > ridiculously high as to make the product useless on older hardware.

    Even
    > using QT to play local files has turned into a very slow and

    frustrating
    > experience.
    >
    > Any other people's experiences or thoughts?

    Have you tried QuickTime Alternative?

    Some advantages compared to QuickTime player:

    * Quick and easy install
    * It's easy to make an unattended installation
    * No background processes
    * Use a player of your own choice
    * Low on resources
    * Smaller size