    Un-effing believable! Here's the link to read all about the abomination
    yourself;
    What is this world coming to? All the best, Mike

    Mike Davis, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Mike Davis

    Cernovog Guest

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 1:22:03 -0400, Mike Davis wrote
    (in message <>):

    > What is this world coming to?

    I don't see any reason to complain about it. For people who want to watch
    censored movies, it's the perfect solution. In fact, I'll bet it's just the
    incentive some old foggies need to join us in the 21st century and buy their
    first DVD player.

    For those of us who don't want censored movies, we're just not gonna buy it.
    How easy is that? I spend days, even weeks not buying stuff.

    I would MUCH rather prefer that people buy something like this gadget than
    have Wal-Mart sell censored movies.

    Cernovog, Apr 18, 2004

  3. In addition, I'm sure that the self-censoring feature can be turned off if
    desired. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Apr 18, 2004
  4. I don't have any problem with it as long as they label it clearly. It's
    a good solution for those that have children and want to have a filter
    for what they view.

    I just wonder what in the world they use to automatically detect swear
    words, nudity and violence.

    Mike

    Michael Rogers, Apr 18, 2004
  5. Mike Davis

    Andrew Venor Guest

    Mike Davis wrote:
    > Fellow DVD and Home Theater lunatics,
    > You're not gonna' believe this, nor would I had I not read it myself.
    > And the BBC is a pretty reputable source. Fueled by money from WalMart, the
    > eighty dollar RCA player uses ClearPlay censoring technology to remove or
    > skip past as the Brits would say "the naughty bits" of films on DVD.
    > Un-effing believable! Here's the link to read all about the abomination
    > yourself;
    > What is this world coming to? All the best, Mike

    I can imagine with a player like that you would would end up with a two
    minute version of Pulp Fiction.

    ALV

    Andrew Venor, Apr 18, 2004
  6. Michael Rogers <> writes:

    > I don't have any problem with it as long as they label it clearly. It's
    > a good solution for those that have children and want to have a filter
    > for what they view.
    >
    > I just wonder what in the world they use to automatically detect swear
    > words, nudity and violence.

    They don't. Filters for each movie is apparently loaded into the player:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2598456#long_descr

    Thomas Tornblom, Apr 18, 2004
  7. Mike Davis

    G. M. Watson Guest

    ----------
    In article <-to-reply>, Thomas Tornblom
    <-to-reply> wrote:

    > Michael Rogers <> writes:
    >
    >> I don't have any problem with it as long as they label it clearly. It's
    >> a good solution for those that have children and want to have a filter
    >> for what they view.
    >>
    >> I just wonder what in the world they use to automatically detect swear
    >> words, nudity and violence.

    > They don't. Filters for each movie is apparently loaded into the player:
    > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2598456#long_descr

    Obviously what's needed here is a competing product: A player which will
    automatically detect any nudity, violence or sexual content in a film and
    *skip directly to it*. Betcha it would outsell the Moral Minority player by
    two to one.
    BTW, why the hell would these morality creeps want to see any of the
    *prevert* movies that the rest of us thrive on, anyway? Isn't viewing them,
    even in censored form, aiding the work of Satan? Let 'em chew on Pollyanna
    'til they choke, I say, and good fuckin' riddance.

    G. M. Watson, Apr 18, 2004
  8. Mike Davis

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Thomas Tornblom wrote:
    > Michael Rogers <> writes:
    >

    >>I don't have any problem with it as long as they label it clearly. It's
    >>a good solution for those that have children and want to have a filter
    >>for what they view.
    >>
    >>I just wonder what in the world they use to automatically detect swear
    >>words, nudity and violence.

    > They don't. Filters for each movie is apparently loaded into the player:
    > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2598456#long_descr

    And you buy the filters for 50 dollars per year or 5 dollars per month.
    Or you can buy a license to get filters for 90 day old (or more)
    releases for only 40 dollars for three years. It's not clear how they
    decide what releases to include. Among the IMDB top 10:

    1 Godfather no
    2 Shawshank Redemption yes
    3 Godfather: Part II no
    4 Return of the King not out
    5 Two Towers, The no
    6 Schindler's List no
    7 7 Samurai no
    8 Casablanca no
    9 Fellowship of the Ring no
    10 Star Wars not out yet

    With the possible exception of Casablanca each of these should have
    something that clearplay fans might find objectionable (at least if
    Shawshank Redemption does.)

    I'll leave it to someone else to check out the AFI 100.

    dick
    --but for now I'm glad that I'm not a potential user of the system.

    Dick Sidbury, Apr 18, 2004
  9. Mike Davis

    Mike Davis Guest

    "G. M. Watson" <> wrote in message

    > ----------
    > In article <-to-reply>, Thomas Tornblom
    > <-to-reply> wrote:
    >

    > > Michael Rogers <> writes:
    > >
    > >> I don't have any problem with it as long as they label it clearly. It's
    > >> a good solution for those that have children and want to have a filter
    > >> for what they view.
    > >>
    > >> I just wonder what in the world they use to automatically detect swear
    > >> words, nudity and violence.

    > > They don't. Filters for each movie is apparently loaded into the player:
    > > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2598456#long_descr
    > >

    > Obviously what's needed here is a competing product: A player which will
    > automatically detect any nudity, violence or sexual content in a film and
    > *skip directly to it*. Betcha it would outsell the Moral Minority player

    by
    > two to one.
    > BTW, why the hell would these morality creeps want to see any of the
    > *prevert* movies that the rest of us thrive on, anyway? Isn't viewing

    them,
    > even in censored form, aiding the work of Satan? Let 'em chew on Pollyanna
    > 'til they choke, I say, and good fuckin' riddance.

    Great minds must think alike GM <ggg.>
    I had the exact same thought when I wrote up the original post. Imagine
    how much time you could save if you could just pop in an unseen movie and
    skip straight to the violence, sex, and other good parts. It would work the
    same as the ClearPlay screening, just backwards to give you the option of
    watching the "naughty bits" only or the entire film. Good idea, huh?
    All the best, Mike

    Mike Davis, Apr 18, 2004
  10. Mike Davis

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Apr 19, 2004
  11. Mike Davis

    Cernovog Guest

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 4:30:08 -0400, G. M. Watson wrote
    (in message <>):

    > BTW, why the hell would these morality creeps want to see any of the
    > *prevert* movies that the rest of us thrive on, anyway?

    A lot of perfectly decent movies have smut added to them to get a different
    rating. Americans have this really stupid stigma about watching a "G" rated
    movie. As a result, movie makers add violence or swearing to up the ratings.

    A really good example is Back to the Future. Excessive swearing was added to
    avoid a "G" rating.

    Now ClearPlay users can delight to the sound of "Geez Louise, Doc! You
    disintegrated Einstein!!!"

    Cernovog, Apr 19, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    Cernovog <> wrote:

    > A lot of perfectly decent movies have smut added to them to get a different
    > rating. Americans have this really stupid stigma about watching a "G" rated
    > movie. As a result, movie makers add violence or swearing to up the ratings.
    >
    > A really good example is Back to the Future. Excessive swearing was added to
    > avoid a "G" rating.
    >
    > Now ClearPlay users can delight to the sound of "Geez Louise, Doc! You
    > disintegrated Einstein!!!"

    As an American, I've decided that your post needed fixing:
    A lot of fucking decent movies have shit added to them to get a
    different rating. Americans have this really fucked up stigma about
    watching a "G" rated movie. As a result, movie makers add nasty shit or
    swearing to up the goddamn ratings.

    A really good example is Back to the Future. A hell of a lot of goddamn
    swearing was added to avoid the fucking "G" rating.

    ClearPlay users can **** off while we continue to delight to the sound
    of "Jesus Christ, Doc! You just disintegrated Einstein!!!"

    Urra Dipschitt, Apr 19, 2004
  13. Mike Davis

    Eric R. Guest

    "Mike Davis" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > the
    > eighty dollar RCA player uses ClearPlay censoring technology to remove or
    > skip past as the Brits would say "the naughty bits" of films on DVD.

    Finally, an excuse for the Ned Flanders' of the world to buy a DVD
    player. It makes DVD's okely-dokely!

    -Eric

    Eric R., Apr 20, 2004
  14. Mike Davis

    Jordan Lund Guest

    "Mike Davis" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Fellow DVD and Home Theater lunatics,
    > You're not gonna' believe this, nor would I had I not read it myself.
    > And the BBC is a pretty reputable source. Fueled by money from WalMart, the
    > eighty dollar RCA player uses ClearPlay censoring technology to remove or
    > skip past as the Brits would say "the naughty bits" of films on DVD.
    > Un-effing believable! Here's the link to read all about the abomination
    > yourself;
    > What is this world coming to? All the best, Mike

    Wasn't that part of the original promise of DVD though? Using seamless
    branching to deliver G, PG, PG-13 versions of R movies?

    Here's my cleaned up version of Pulp Fiction BTW...

    Opening credits
    Musical cue
    Closing credits

    :^)

    I have to admit, I am tempted to get one of these players just so I
    can feed it a steady diet of Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill and hard core
    pornography. :^)

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Apr 20, 2004
  15. Mike Davis

    Justin Guest

    Jordan Lund wrote on [20 Apr 2004 10:56:49 -0700]:
    > "Mike Davis" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Fellow DVD and Home Theater lunatics,
    >> You're not gonna' believe this, nor would I had I not read it myself.
    >> And the BBC is a pretty reputable source. Fueled by money from WalMart, the
    >> eighty dollar RCA player uses ClearPlay censoring technology to remove or
    >> skip past as the Brits would say "the naughty bits" of films on DVD.
    >> Un-effing believable! Here's the link to read all about the abomination
    >> yourself;
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3611969.stm
    >> What is this world coming to? All the best, Mike

    > Wasn't that part of the original promise of DVD though? Using seamless
    > branching to deliver G, PG, PG-13 versions of R movies?
    >
    > Here's my cleaned up version of Pulp Fiction BTW...
    >
    > Opening credits
    > Musical cue
    > Closing credits
    >
    > :^)
    >
    > I have to admit, I am tempted to get one of these players just so I
    > can feed it a steady diet of Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill and hard core
    > pornography. :^)

    I take it you missed Pulp Fiction on broadcast TV?

    Where the screen was blakced out for minutes at a time?

    Justin, Apr 20, 2004
  16. Mike Davis

    karlpov Guest

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:22:03 -0700, "Mike Davis"
    <> wrote:

    >Fellow DVD and Home Theater lunatics,
    > You're not gonna' believe this, nor would I had I not read it myself.
    >And the BBC is a pretty reputable source. Fueled by money from WalMart, the
    >eighty dollar RCA player uses ClearPlay censoring technology to remove or
    >skip past as the Brits would say "the naughty bits" of films on DVD.
    >Un-effing believable! Here's the link to read all about the abomination
    >yourself;
    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3611969.stm
    > What is this world coming to? All the best, Mike

    Options are good.

    Of course you can argue that naughty bits represent a director's
    artistic vision, integrity, etc., but the fact is that sometimes
    they're added in because a particular market wants them, not because
    the film demands them. Case in point, the "European version" Swamp
    Thing which somehow made it to DVD with a couple instances of
    tit-baring. Did it add anything to the movie? Of course -- to those of
    us who like to look at bare tits. Did it do anything to progress the
    storyline? Not really. And apparently they weren't in the American
    original.

    I imagine, for instance, that Sandra Locke's prospective gang-rape in
    The Outlaw Josey Wales could have been implied clearly enough without
    getting her nekkid. (I recall this because of the irony that Swamp
    Thing's PG-13 rating apparently depended on getting rid of its
    relatively innocuous tit showings, while The Outlaw Josey Wales gets
    that same rating stripping Sandra Locke with intention to rape.)

    I'm glad I have the tit-baring version, but if someone is bothered by
    unclothed mammaries, let them filter that out and enjoy the rest of
    the movie.

    I won't argue the proposition that all movies will be unharmed by
    this. But if you don't like that sort of thing you're probably not
    going to be watching Ilsa She-Wolf of the SS or Last Tango in Paris
    anyway.

    karlpov, Apr 20, 2004
  17. Mike Davis

    Metlhd3138 Guest

    I wonder how this will work with "respectable" films that have R ratings like
    Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, or the Passion of the Christ.

    Metlhd3138, Apr 21, 2004
  18. Mike Davis

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Metlhd3138 wrote:
    > I wonder how this will work with "respectable" films that have R ratings like
    > Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, or the Passion of the Christ.

    It will work the way they want it to. It's not automatic. Data has to
    be loaded into the player to tell it where to skip pictures or silence
    dialog. I wonder if they overdub or just bleep for crude language.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Apr 21, 2004

  19. >
    > Wasn't that part of the original promise of DVD though? Using seamless
    > branching to deliver G, PG, PG-13 versions of R movies?

    Yeah, but that would take an awful lot of encoding. The machine is a
    good idea for parents and it will sell. I won't buy one but I would be
    interested to see how it works.

    That's the way i was when movies would show up on network TV. If I was
    familiar with them, I would want to see how they would edit it.

    They often get creative. Like when they tinted the elevator murder scene
    in Dressed to Kill red (in addition to editing out the actual
    slashings)to hide the blood.

    Mike

    Michael Rogers, Apr 21, 2004
  20. Mike Davis

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Michael Rogers <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > > Wasn't that part of the original promise of DVD though? Using seamless
    > > branching to deliver G, PG, PG-13 versions of R movies?
    > >

    > Yeah, but that would take an awful lot of encoding. The machine is a
    > good idea for parents and it will sell. I won't buy one but I would be
    > interested to see how it works.

    I checked up on it over at http://www.clearplay.com, apparently it
    uses preference files which can be downloaded from the website, burned
    to a CD and then uploaded to the player. Walmart is also going to sell
    the codes pre-burned on CD.

    This opens up all new kinds of possibilities. Once the format of the
    codes has been hacked (and they will be hacked), it should be possible
    to create our own codes to do all kinds of horrible things to DVD
    movies. :^)

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Apr 21, 2004