    Canon/Nikon is not doing that. Maybe to create a market for remote
    controls and add the burden of carrying more accessories.

    Jean
    Jean, Mar 5, 2011

  2. Jean

    me Guest

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 10:03:21 -0800 (PST), Jean
    <> wrote:

    >It ridiculous that Canon/Nikon has not integrated a timer function in
    >its line of digital SLRs and is forcing photographers to buy their(or
    >others) remote control to take time lapsed exposures. I guess a few
    >bytes of code in its firmware could provide this feature. Not sure why
    >Canon/Nikon is not doing that. Maybe to create a market for remote
    >controls and add the burden of carrying more accessories.

    If you are talking about taking shots at a fixed time interval Nikon
    has had that since the D200, iirc.
    me, Mar 5, 2011

  3. Jean

    Rich Guest

    On Mar 5, 1:32 pm, Schneider <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 13:23:11 -0500, me <> wrote:
    > >On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 10:03:21 -0800 (PST), Jean
    > ><> wrote:

    > >>It ridiculous that Canon/Nikon has not integrated a timer function in
    > >>its line of digital SLRs and is forcing photographers to buy their(or
    > >>others)  remote control to take time lapsed exposures.  I guess a few
    > >>bytes of code in its firmware could provide this feature. Not sure why
    > >>Canon/Nikon is not doing that. Maybe to create a market for remote
    > >>controls and add the burden of carrying more accessories.

    > >If you are talking about taking shots at a fixed time interval Nikon
    > >has had that since the D200, iirc.

    > So too does nearly every Canon Powershot camera for the last 3-4 years, if
    > you put CHDK on your SD card.
    >
    > http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
    >
    > http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/UBASIC/Scripts#Intervalometer
    >
    > Contrary to popular opinion, many of them equal and surpass the image
    > quality that can be obtained with digital SLRs.

    Only if you like noise in blue skies at 50-100 ISO.
    Rich, Mar 6, 2011
  4. Jean

    LouTheArtist

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    My nikon D5000 has a timelapse timer built in. It's a set it and forget it.
    LouTheArtist, Mar 6, 2011
  5. SneakyP <> wrote:

    > OTOH - looking at my old P&S chdk shots proves to me that camera
    > manufacturers are purposely holding back on many handy features that more
    > expensive DSLRs do have. The difference between the lower end models and
    > the higher ones is more about disabling the higher end features on the
    > lower end camera than it is about adding on features.

    The difference is that the camera maker would overall make less
    money if they sold cheap cameras that could do almost anything
    their expensive cameras can do. Since even cheap DSLRs have the
    M mode, they need to curtail convenience stuff and sensor sizes.

    If camera makers made less money, they'd have to have higher
    prices ... and less advanced cameras. Do you really want that?

    > Good pictures can be had at the lower cost, as proven by anybody who
    > actually compares shoots with chdk enabled P&S, and a DSLR shoots
    > themselves.

    You don't need chdk for that, just someone who knows what they
    are doing and benign light. And no expectations a P&S cannot
    fulfill. (Like shallow DOF, high ISO, ...)

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 11, 2011