It's official. Olympus no longer makes good lenses

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jun 24, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    The 25mm f2.8, the 17mm f2.8, the 14-42 collapsing kit lens, now the
    14-150mm zoom. They all suck. Olympus used to be the poster-child
    for good lenses, even their kit lenses shon and their pro and top pro
    lenses were phenomenal. Now they are all junk, and overpriced junk to
    boot! $600 for a lens that despite its wide range is really just a
    cheap, plastic kit lens, with mediocre optical performance more
    fitting of some of the crap we've seen for APS sensors..

    http://dpreview.com/lensreviews/olympus_m_14-150_4-5p6_o20/page4.asp
    RichA, Jun 24, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:04:23 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:
    >
    >... 14-150mm zoom. They all suck.



    You have presented no evidence that the 14-150mm zoom sucks.
    Bruce, Jun 24, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:04:23 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >>... 14-150mm zoom. They all suck.

    >
    >
    > You have presented no evidence that the 14-150mm zoom sucks.



    And you sir, have presented no evidence of your claimed connection with
    Olympus.



    --
    Peter
    Peter, Jun 24, 2010
    #3
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: It's official. Olympus no longer makes good lenses

    On Jun 24, 3:06 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:04:23 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > >... 14-150mm zoom.  They all suck.

    >
    > You have presented no evidence that the 14-150mm zoom sucks.


    Aside from the mediocre review you mean?
    RichA, Jun 24, 2010
    #4
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Re: It's official. Olympus no longer makes good lenses

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:53:20 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:
    >On Jun 24, 3:06 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:04:23 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> >... 14-150mm zoom.  They all suck.

    >>
    >> You have presented no evidence that the 14-150mm zoom sucks.

    >
    >Aside from the mediocre review you mean?



    It was a mediocre piece of writing, that's for sure. But it told us
    very little about the lens - much less than you claim.

    You should wait for a review from a known source before jumping to any
    conclusions.
    Bruce, Jun 25, 2010
    #5
  6. RichA

    SMS Guest

    RichA wrote:
    > The 25mm f2.8, the 17mm f2.8, the 14-42 collapsing kit lens, now the
    > 14-150mm zoom. They all suck. Olympus used to be the poster-child
    > for good lenses, even their kit lenses shon and their pro and top pro
    > lenses were phenomenal.


    It's a different world. They made the decision to not compete against
    Nikon and Canon in the pro and prosumer markets when they went the 4:3
    route for their digital SLRs, basing that decision not only on the huge
    costs of competing in that market but on the fact that the
    consumer-grade market is far larger. What they didn't realize is that
    even most consumers look at the big picture (no pun intended) and want
    to buy into a system that has a future. Now that 4:3 has failed
    commercially, Olympus is betting on Micro 4:3, but the early equipment
    has been disappointing to put it mildly.
    SMS, Jun 25, 2010
    #6
  7. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: It's official. Olympus no longer makes good lenses

    On Jun 24, 7:50 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:53:20 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Jun 24, 3:06 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > >> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:04:23 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > >> wrote:

    >
    > >> >... 14-150mm zoom.  They all suck.

    >
    > >> You have presented no evidence that the 14-150mm zoom sucks.

    >
    > >Aside from the mediocre review you mean?

    >
    > It was a mediocre piece of writing, that's for sure.  But it told us
    > very little about the lens - much less than you claim.
    >


    Hardly. The resolution figures are awful as are the CA figures.
    RichA, Jun 25, 2010
    #7
  8. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >The 25mm f2.8, the 17mm f2.8, the 14-42 collapsing kit lens, now the
    >14-150mm zoom. They all suck.


    In rich's world everybody MUST pay $5000 for each lens in order to
    meet his standards for quality. Lenses must have the finest optics
    and not contain any plastic, even if it means that they weight five
    pounds and can only zoom by a factor of two.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Jun 26, 2010
    #8
  9. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Re: It's official. Olympus no longer makes good lenses

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 09:59:47 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:
    >On Jun 24, 7:50 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:53:20 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >On Jun 24, 3:06 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> >> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:04:23 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    >> >> wrote:

    >>
    >> >> >... 14-150mm zoom.  They all suck.

    >>
    >> >> You have presented no evidence that the 14-150mm zoom sucks.

    >>
    >> >Aside from the mediocre review you mean?

    >>
    >> It was a mediocre piece of writing, that's for sure.  But it told us
    >> very little about the lens - much less than you claim.
    >>

    >
    >Hardly. The resolution figures are awful as are the CA figures.



    What on earth do you expect from a 10.7X zoom? The optical
    performance is on a par with the much more expensive Panasonic lens of
    the same focal length range. The Olympus is therefore quite a
    bargain.

    Anyone expecting optical excellence will inevitably be disappointed by
    any 10X zoom. The Olympus and Panasonic 14-150mm lenses are the
    direct equivalent of the 28-300mm consumer grade zooms for 35mm SLRs,
    or 18-200mm consumer grade zooms for APS-C (DX) DSLRs. Some are
    better than others, but there just aren't any *good* ones. The laws
    of physics don't allow a cheap 10X zoom lens to perform well.

    No matter how much you diss it, the Olympus M ZD 14-150mm is no worse
    than any other 10X zoom lens, and is probably better than most. It is
    a lens for those who value convenience and a reasonable price over
    ultimate optical quality.
    Bruce, Jun 26, 2010
    #9
  10. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    > (Ray Fischer) wrote in news:4c25b1d0$0$1593
    >$:
    >
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >>>The 25mm f2.8, the 17mm f2.8, the 14-42 collapsing kit lens, now the
    >>>14-150mm zoom. They all suck.

    >>
    >> In rich's world everybody MUST pay $5000 for each lens in order to
    >> meet his standards for quality. Lenses must have the finest optics
    >> and not contain any plastic, even if it means that they weight five
    >> pounds and can only zoom by a factor of two.

    >
    >No, duncecap, that's the rub. Olympus's DSLR kit lenses cost a pittance
    >and they worked very well.


    How many of those kit lenses had a 10x zoom?

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Jun 27, 2010
    #10
  11. RichA

    whisky-dave Guest

    Re: It's official. Olympus no longer makes good lenses

    "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:02:53 +0100, in
    > <>, Bruce
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 09:59:47 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    >>wrote:

    >
    >>>Hardly. The resolution figures are awful as are the CA figures.

    >>
    >>What on earth do you expect from a 10.7X zoom? The optical
    >>performance is on a par with the much more expensive Panasonic lens of
    >>the same focal length range. The Olympus is therefore quite a
    >>bargain.
    >>
    >>Anyone expecting optical excellence will inevitably be disappointed by
    >>any 10X zoom. ...

    >
    > Leica-branded Panasonic super-zoom lenses are excellent at that zoom
    > range and more, on par with dSLR primes in terms of resolution.


    What the price differnce.
    I wonder what zoom range the hubble space teliscope has ;-P
    whisky-dave, Jun 28, 2010
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bun Mui
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    3,031
    127.0.0.1
    May 26, 2004
  2. Ed Smith
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    752
    ~ Darrell ~
    Apr 16, 2004
  3. Tony Spadaro

    Canon 20D and new lenses - official

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 20, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    583
  4. Goforit
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    1,630
    Goforit
    Jul 25, 2004
  5. Don W

    What makes the tiny digicams lenses so good?

    Don W, Oct 2, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    30
    Views:
    858
    bugbear
    Oct 31, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page