It's official: Ihug rules.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Fred Dagg, Feb 7, 2006.

  1. Fred Dagg

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.

    Generally download torrents at 2Mbps, sometimes dropping to an
    entirely acceptable 1.5Mbps.

    Honestly, Ihug have restored the faith I lost in ISPs and UBS after
    moving to Orcon 2Mbps for a couple of months last year. They are
    actually delivering what they have promised.

    This, unfortunately, does not bode well for Orcon. I thought that the
    performance issues experienced with them may have been due to UBS
    itself, however it would appear that they were either severely traffic
    shaping, overcommitted, or both. Either way, it was totally
    unacceptable and unethical for them to promise a product which they
    were totally unable to deliver.

    So, anyway, for any other P2Pers out there on Orcon 2Mbps, it doesn't
    have to be that way! Ihug's plans a reasonably generous, but more
    importantly, they appear to be actually delivering on their promises.

    This also equates to probably 5-10 new customers a week to Ihug, as we
    now recommend them to our clients. Not a massive amount, sure, but it
    all mounts up, especially if you include the people they tell.

    Fred Dagg, Feb 7, 2006

  2. Fred Dagg

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.

    Great what a week will do. Telecom open up the restrictions to a few ISPs
    and you're happy.
    See what it's like overall after you've been on it for at least 6 months.
    Now yopu will also promise to stay with ihug for the next 10 years,
    especially after trying to get others to join all based on your one week of
    experience with ihug?

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 7, 2006

  3. Fred Dagg

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 01:46:38 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> exclaimed:

    >"Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.

    >Great what a week will do. Telecom open up the restrictions to a few ISPs
    >and you're happy.
    >See what it's like overall after you've been on it for at least 6 months.
    >Now yopu will also promise to stay with ihug for the next 10 years,
    >especially after trying to get others to join all based on your one week of
    >experience with ihug?

    Huh?

    Fred Dagg, Feb 7, 2006
  4. Fred Dagg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.

    > Great what a week will do. Telecom open up the restrictions to a few
    > ISPs and you're happy.

    What are you on Scrooge? It's not Telecom who's throttling Orcon P2P, it's
    Orcon themselves with their level 7 packet sniffer. Ihug don't throttle P2P
    (as yet, fingers crossed). That's the difference.

    > See what it's like overall after you've been on it for at least 6
    > months. Now yopu will also promise to stay with ihug for the next 10
    > years, especially after trying to get others to join all based on
    > your one week of experience with ihug?

    Ya lost me.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 7, 2006
  5. Fred Dagg

    EMB Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > Great what a week will do. Telecom open up the restrictions to a few ISPs
    > and you're happy.
    > See what it's like overall after you've been on it for at least 6 months.
    > Now yopu will also promise to stay with ihug for the next 10 years,
    > especially after trying to get others to join all based on your one week of
    > experience with ihug?

    Scrooge - you've had issues with ihug in the past and made your decision
    to take your custom elsewhere. How about you pull your head out of your
    arse for maybe 2 seconds and realise that things may have improved with
    ihug, rather than continue to knock them ad nauseum. The service I get
    from ihug isn't perfect, but it's a damn sight better than people's
    experiences of other ISPs as reported in this group.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Feb 7, 2006
  6. Fred Dagg

    Nihil Guest

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 01:26:53 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.
    >
    > Generally download torrents at 2Mbps, sometimes dropping to an
    > entirely acceptable 1.5Mbps.
    >
    > Honestly, Ihug have restored the faith I lost in ISPs and UBS after
    > moving to Orcon 2Mbps for a couple of months last year. They are
    > actually delivering what they have promised.
    >
    > This, unfortunately, does not bode well for Orcon. I thought that the
    > performance issues experienced with them may have been due to UBS
    > itself, however it would appear that they were either severely traffic
    > shaping, overcommitted, or both. Either way, it was totally
    > unacceptable and unethical for them to promise a product which they
    > were totally unable to deliver.
    >
    > So, anyway, for any other P2Pers out there on Orcon 2Mbps, it doesn't
    > have to be that way! Ihug's plans a reasonably generous, but more
    > importantly, they appear to be actually delivering on their promises.
    >
    > This also equates to probably 5-10 new customers a week to Ihug, as we
    > now recommend them to our clients. Not a massive amount, sure, but it
    > all mounts up, especially if you include the people they tell.

    Is this some kind of a joke? How can you recommend an ISP after a week,
    especially Ihug?

    -Nihil

    Nihil, Feb 7, 2006
  7. "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.
    > snip<

    Get back to us once the honeymoons over as well please, say in 6(?) months
    time.
    I would be more inclined to take your recommendation seriously then.

    --
    -- Cheers
    Southern Kiwi

    Southern Kiwi, Feb 7, 2006
  8. Fred Dagg

    XPD Guest

    "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.
    >> snip<

    > Get back to us once the honeymoons over as well please, say in 6(?) months
    > time.
    > I would be more inclined to take your recommendation seriously then.

    Yup I have to agree.... this is the ISP that said they were not speed
    limiting their Satnet/Ultra connections when they were...... wait a few
    months and you'll probably find your performance slowly drops off.
    Once an ISP appears in the market that absolutely guarantees no
    shaping/limting of services/protocols 24/7/365 then Ill eat whatever hat Im
    wearing on the day :)

    XPD, Feb 7, 2006
  9. Fred Dagg

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 01:46:38 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> exclaimed:
    >

    >>"Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >>> Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.

    >>Great what a week will do. Telecom open up the restrictions to a few ISPs
    >>and you're happy.
    >>See what it's like overall after you've been on it for at least 6 months.
    >>Now yopu will also promise to stay with ihug for the next 10 years,
    >>especially after trying to get others to join all based on your one week
    >>of
    >>experience with ihug?

    > Huh?

    Only a week is hardly any time at all to evaluate something thast you'll no
    doubt use for years.
    When trying another ISP I was still with ihug for over a year just in case
    the new ISP didn't work out. With Telecom supplying Broadband not all ISPs
    will be getting the service as good as others are. The deals at ihug seem
    to be competitive enough and better than what some are offering.
    ihug has been doing some heavy TV advertising for Broadband lately which
    makes a change to see it pushing an internet service instead of a phone
    service.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 7, 2006
  10. Fred Dagg wrote:
    > Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.
    >
    > Generally download torrents at 2Mbps, sometimes dropping to an
    > entirely acceptable 1.5Mbps.
    >
    > Honestly, Ihug have restored the faith I lost in ISPs and UBS after
    > moving to Orcon 2Mbps for a couple of months last year. They are
    > actually delivering what they have promised.
    >
    > This, unfortunately, does not bode well for Orcon. I thought that the
    > performance issues experienced with them may have been due to UBS
    > itself, however it would appear that they were either severely traffic
    > shaping, overcommitted, or both. Either way, it was totally
    > unacceptable and unethical for them to promise a product which they
    > were totally unable to deliver.
    >
    > So, anyway, for any other P2Pers out there on Orcon 2Mbps, it doesn't
    > have to be that way! Ihug's plans a reasonably generous, but more
    > importantly, they appear to be actually delivering on their promises.
    >
    > This also equates to probably 5-10 new customers a week to Ihug, as we
    > now recommend them to our clients. Not a massive amount, sure, but it
    > all mounts up, especially if you include the people they tell.

    Try their dialup service in metropolitan Auckland ... same old dodgy service as
    they were offering years ago ... constant connection dropouts, lousy speeds.

    Mark Robinson, Feb 7, 2006
  11. Fred Dagg

    XPD Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > Try their dialup service in metropolitan Auckland ... same old dodgy
    > service as they were offering years ago ... constant connection dropouts,
    > lousy speeds.

    Youll probably find thats more down to dodgy and lousy Telecom lines ;)

    XPD, Feb 7, 2006
  12. Fred Dagg

    shannon Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >> Try their dialup service in metropolitan Auckland ... same old dodgy
    >> service as they were offering years ago ... constant connection dropouts,
    >> lousy speeds.

    > Youll probably find thats more down to dodgy and lousy Telecom lines ;)

    Would those be the same lines that give ihug great adsl ?

    shannon, Feb 7, 2006
  13. XPD wrote:
    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Try their dialup service in metropolitan Auckland ... same old dodgy
    >>service as they were offering years ago ... constant connection dropouts,
    >>lousy speeds.

    > Youll probably find thats more down to dodgy and lousy Telecom lines ;)

    Not so. Any of several other ISPs I used on the same line had no such problem.

    Mark Robinson, Feb 7, 2006
  14. Fred Dagg

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 08:55:22 +1300, Nihil <> exclaimed:

    >On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 01:26:53 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.
    >>
    >> Generally download torrents at 2Mbps, sometimes dropping to an
    >> entirely acceptable 1.5Mbps.
    >>
    >> Honestly, Ihug have restored the faith I lost in ISPs and UBS after
    >> moving to Orcon 2Mbps for a couple of months last year. They are
    >> actually delivering what they have promised.
    >>
    >> This, unfortunately, does not bode well for Orcon. I thought that the
    >> performance issues experienced with them may have been due to UBS
    >> itself, however it would appear that they were either severely traffic
    >> shaping, overcommitted, or both. Either way, it was totally
    >> unacceptable and unethical for them to promise a product which they
    >> were totally unable to deliver.
    >>
    >> So, anyway, for any other P2Pers out there on Orcon 2Mbps, it doesn't
    >> have to be that way! Ihug's plans a reasonably generous, but more
    >> importantly, they appear to be actually delivering on their promises.
    >>
    >> This also equates to probably 5-10 new customers a week to Ihug, as we
    >> now recommend them to our clients. Not a massive amount, sure, but it
    >> all mounts up, especially if you include the people they tell.

    >Is this some kind of a joke? How can you recommend an ISP after a week,
    >especially Ihug?

    Ok, sure, it's only been a few weeks, but it is a real breath of fresh
    air after Orcon.

    I think it's long enough to guage whether, generally, their traffic is
    limited and shaped. It's obviously not.

    It took about 1 day to ascertain that Orcon's speed was crap. That was
    bourne out over the following weeks and months.

    Fred Dagg, Feb 7, 2006
  15. Fred Dagg

    Torrential Guest

    On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 03:50:17 +1300, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    I go with misfit

    Orcon P2P suck big time period!

    Orcon must have issue with older UBS contract users i.e 256/128
    true flat rate?

    the layer 7 packet cannot distingusih among 10Gig autosense ($10/10 gig)
    and the older flatrate users?

    Why then Orcon punish those who pay for 10 Gig ( autosense UBS ) users!

    stupid Orcon !

    Torrential, Feb 7, 2006
  16. Fred Dagg

    Deck Guest

    I wanted to sign-up for their DSL last December
    but they've stopped offering the free connection/modem.
    I took Orcon, and then a month after iHug is offering the
    free connection/modem again. i was really annoyed by that !

    Deck, Feb 7, 2006
  17. Fred Dagg

    Richard Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:

    > Try their dialup service in metropolitan Auckland ... same old dodgy
    > service as they were offering years ago ... constant connection
    > dropouts, lousy speeds.

    My ihug dialup stays connected for day-weeks at a time when its being used, so I
    dont have any problem with it, and its not an awesome phoneline here, and its
    with the much disliked LT winmodem.

    Its not ihugs dialups problem.

    Richard, Feb 8, 2006
  18. Fred Dagg

    XPD Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Mark Robinson wrote:
    >
    >> Try their dialup service in metropolitan Auckland ... same old dodgy
    >> service as they were offering years ago ... constant connection dropouts,
    >> lousy speeds.

    > My ihug dialup stays connected for day-weeks at a time when its being
    > used, so I dont have any problem with it, and its not an awesome phoneline
    > here, and its with the much disliked LT winmodem.
    >
    > Its not ihugs dialups problem.

    But where are you located ?
    Its possible Mark is hitting a dodgy bank of modems

    XPD, Feb 8, 2006
  19. On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 01:26:53 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.
    >
    > Generally download torrents at 2Mbps, sometimes dropping to an
    > entirely acceptable 1.5Mbps.
    >
    > Honestly, Ihug have restored the faith I lost in ISPs and UBS after
    > moving to Orcon 2Mbps for a couple of months last year. They are
    > actually delivering what they have promised.
    >
    > This, unfortunately, does not bode well for Orcon. I thought that the
    > performance issues experienced with them may have been due to UBS
    > itself, however it would appear that they were either severely traffic
    > shaping, overcommitted, or both. Either way, it was totally
    > unacceptable and unethical for them to promise a product which they
    > were totally unable to deliver.
    >
    > So, anyway, for any other P2Pers out there on Orcon 2Mbps, it doesn't
    > have to be that way! Ihug's plans a reasonably generous, but more
    > importantly, they appear to be actually delivering on their promises.
    >
    > This also equates to probably 5-10 new customers a week to Ihug, as we
    > now recommend them to our clients. Not a massive amount, sure, but it
    > all mounts up, especially if you include the people they tell.

    Aye, sounds very familiar. I was getting max speed downloading a Knoppix
    ISO the other day on bitorrent. This was around 6 p.m.

    The bonus is that uploads don't count towards the cap.
    It is a pretty damn good ISP... poor Orcon appear to have gone to the dogs.

    wogers nemesis, Feb 8, 2006
  20. Fred Dagg

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Fred,

    > Generally download torrents at 2Mbps, sometimes dropping to an
    > entirely acceptable 1.5Mbps.

    you Ass!!!!!!

    now be prepared to experience a slowdown because all the leechers will soon
    join and start sucking down

    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Feb 8, 2006