    anticipated.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Dec 17, 2008

  2. Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > Well, I bit the bullet and bought an EOS Rebel XSi. It's clearly no 5d, but
    > it gives me more than half the resolution at less than a third the price.
    >
    > I figure that's a pretty good deal.
    >
    > Once I get the controls and menus figured out and memorized, it's going to
    > be interesting to see how it performs.
    >
    > Those pics of my new guide are going to be a lot better than I had
    > anticipated.

    Enjoy!

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 17, 2008

  3. Marcus Flanks wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:44:53 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well, I bit the bullet and bought an EOS Rebel XSi. It's clearly no 5d, but
    >> it gives me more than half the resolution at less than a third the price.
    >>
    >> I figure that's a pretty good deal.
    >>
    >> Once I get the controls and menus figured out and memorized, it's going to
    >> be interesting to see how it performs.
    >>
    >> Those pics of my new guide are going to be a lot better than I had
    >> anticipated.
    >>
    >> Take Care,
    >> Dudley
    >>

    > Hate to break this to you but it's not anywhere near "half the resolution".
    >
    > sq. rt. 21 megapixels = ~4.58
    >
    > sq. rt. 12.2 megapixels = ~3.5
    >
    > 1.31 x 3.5 = ~4.58
    >
    > The 5D is only 1.31 x's' the resolution of the XSi
    >
    > It's a function of area, not a linear pixel-count measure. You fuckin' moron.

    You, the cowardly nym shifting foul mouthed sophomoric creature, are the
    dolt.

    One doesn't always speak in literal mathematical terms about quality,
    including resolution. As many folks know, useful resolution is more than
    just number of pixels.

    Sheesh.

    --
    lsmft

    John McWilliams, Dec 17, 2008
  4. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Marcus Flanks" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:44:53 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Well, I bit the bullet and bought an EOS Rebel XSi. It's clearly no 5d,
    >>but
    >>it gives me more than half the resolution at less than a third the price.
    >>
    >>I figure that's a pretty good deal.
    >>
    >>Once I get the controls and menus figured out and memorized, it's going to
    >>be interesting to see how it performs.
    >>
    >>Those pics of my new guide are going to be a lot better than I had
    >>anticipated.
    >>
    >>Take Care,
    >>Dudley
    >>

    > Hate to break this to you but it's not anywhere near "half the
    > resolution".
    >
    > sq. rt. 21 megapixels = ~4.58
    >
    > sq. rt. 12.2 megapixels = ~3.5
    >
    > 1.31 x 3.5 = ~4.58
    >
    > The 5D is only 1.31 x's' the resolution of the XSi
    >
    > It's a function of area, not a linear pixel-count measure. You fuckin'
    > moron.
    >
    > Crop your 5D image by just a 11.8% border on all sides and you have the
    > same
    > resolution as the XSi or any other 12.2 megapixel P&S camera.
    >
    > I hope both were worth the cost to you.
    >

    > And another idiot succumbs to the pixel-wars and dSLR marketing scams ...

    Hey, I never professed to be a geometry expert...

    Still, it's the best camera (DSLR or P&S) at the best price for my
    particular needs...

    Once I start posting pics from this cam, you're welcome to post better ones
    from a P&S (or DSLR).

    It will be interesting to see how your work stacks up against the work of a
    blind guy...

    Good Luck,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Dec 17, 2008
  5. Dudley Hanks

    bowzer Guest

    "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message
    > Well, I bit the bullet and bought an EOS Rebel XSi. It's clearly no 5d,
    > but it gives me more than half the resolution at less than a third the
    > price.
    >
    > I figure that's a pretty good deal.
    >
    > Once I get the controls and menus figured out and memorized, it's going to
    > be interesting to see how it performs.

    Shoot RAW. Also, the XSi is nearly the same resolution as the 5D. Did you
    mean the 5DII? Anyway, that's an excellent camera by any measure; enjoy!

    bowzer, Dec 17, 2008
  6. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "bowzer" <> wrote in message

    > "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message
    >> Well, I bit the bullet and bought an EOS Rebel XSi. It's clearly no 5d,
    >> but it gives me more than half the resolution at less than a third the
    >> price.
    >>
    >> I figure that's a pretty good deal.
    >>
    >> Once I get the controls and menus figured out and memorized, it's going
    >> to be interesting to see how it performs.

    > Shoot RAW. Also, the XSi is nearly the same resolution as the 5D. Did you
    > mean the 5DII? Anyway, that's an excellent camera by any measure; enjoy!

    My bad. Indeed, I did mean the 5D2...

    I really have to quit posting prior to downing my first cup of coffee...

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Dec 17, 2008
  7. Dudley Hanks

    Jurgen Guest

    Allen wrote:
    > Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >> "Marcus Flanks" <> wrote in message

    > Dudley, pay no attention to idiots like Flanks. Their only proper place
    > is in your killfile.
    > Allen

    People who keep putting other in kill files will eventually run out of
    messages to read. We are all capable of flames - you included.

    Jurgen, Dec 17, 2008
  8. Dudley Hanks

    Pete D Guest

    "Jurgen" <> wrote in message
    > Allen wrote:
    >> Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >>> "Marcus Flanks" <> wrote in message

    >> Dudley, pay no attention to idiots like Flanks. Their only proper place
    >> is in your killfile.
    >> Allen

    > People who keep putting other in kill files will eventually run out of
    > messages to read. We are all capable of flames - you included.

    Actually in this case it would be a waste of time killfiling because that
    was the nym shifting P&S troll and we all know who that is don't we????

    Pete D, Dec 17, 2008
  9. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "hal claversen" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 15:59:57 -0500, "bowser" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "bowzer" <> wrote in message

    >>> My bad. Indeed, I did mean the 5D2...
    >>>
    >>> I really have to quit posting prior to downing my first cup of coffee...

    >>No matter. The XSi is one of the best compact SLRs out there, and capable
    >>of
    >>producing huge enlargements. It's a wonderful camera, no question. You'll
    >>love it.

    > Really? Then how come this $340 P&S camera beats it in resolution and
    > sharpness?
    >
    > http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/outdoor_results.shtml
    >
    > Get a grip you blind DSLR-worshipping morons.

    I agree the SX10 is a good camera, and it was a tough decision between the
    two. But, versatility won out over economy and portability.

    I have a fair bit of EOS equipment from my old A2 35mm camera that will work
    with the Rebel. Of course, the flashes will work with the SX10, but the
    rest won't.

    Besides, what I'm mainly after is low-light performance, and you'll notice
    the comparison you quoted was an outdoor, daylight test only. From what
    I've heard, the SX10 isn't quite as good as the XSi when the lights go down.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Dec 17, 2008
  10. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "bowser" <> wrote in message

    > "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "bowzer" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message

    >>> Shoot RAW. Also, the XSi is nearly the same resolution as the 5D. Did
    >>> you mean the 5DII? Anyway, that's an excellent camera by any measure;
    >>> enjoy!

    >> My bad. Indeed, I did mean the 5D2...
    >>
    >> I really have to quit posting prior to downing my first cup of coffee...

    > No matter. The XSi is one of the best compact SLRs out there, and capable
    > of producing huge enlargements. It's a wonderful camera, no question.
    > You'll love it.

    I haven't taken a picture with it yet, and I already love it. It feels much
    more like my old 35mm's, and that puts me in a good frame of mind, right off
    the bat.

    Now, if it would just warm up outside, I could catch some of that freshly
    fallen snow and some Xmas lights...

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Dec 17, 2008
  11. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Garret D." <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 21:30:31 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"bowser" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message

    >>> No matter. The XSi is one of the best compact SLRs out there, and
    >>> capable
    >>> of producing huge enlargements. It's a wonderful camera, no question.
    >>> You'll love it.

    >>I haven't taken a picture with it yet, and I already love it. It feels
    >>much
    >>more like my old 35mm's, and that puts me in a good frame of mind, right
    >>off
    >>the bat.
    >>
    >>Now, if it would just warm up outside, I could catch some of that freshly
    >>fallen snow and some Xmas lights...
    >>
    >>Take Care,
    >>Dudley
    >>

    > True, that's always a drawback with D/SLR lenses. They can't be used in
    > low-temperature conditions. Either it's condensation on the sensor, or
    > back
    > elements of the lenses, or the mirror. Or worse, that condensation
    > freezing all
    > that mechanical contraptions into a useless block. That's why P&S cameras
    > with
    > ultrasonic motors, which don't rely on high-viscosity lubricants to keep
    > the
    > lens elements in position and there's no exposed mirror and focal-plane
    > shutter
    > to freeze-up, work so well where D/SLR cameras have always refused to go.
    > This
    > is why I get so many more award winners with P&S

    Where are these award winning pics posted?

    cameras. The rest of the "pros"
    > with their crippled D/SLRs can't get the shots that I get regularly. Their
    > chosen camera won't let them. So much for them being "intelligent" pros.

    Actually, I wasn't concerned about the camera in the cold; I was thinking
    more about myself. When it hits minus 35 degrees (not counting wind chill),
    I'm not going out picture taking with either a P&S or a DSLR.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Dec 17, 2008
  12. Dudley Hanks

    SMS Guest

    Dudley Hanks wrote:

    > I agree the SX10 is a good camera, and it was a tough decision between the
    > two. But, versatility won out over economy and portability.

    You should have bought one of each!

    > I have a fair bit of EOS equipment from my old A2 35mm camera that will work
    > with the Rebel. Of course, the flashes will work with the SX10, but the
    > rest won't.

    Beware that some of the old flashes won't work with the XSi (or any of
    the Canon digital SLRs). I had the EOS-5QD, which was the non-U.S.
    version of the A2E (the A2E was the A2 with eye-controlled focus), and
    the 430EZ flash. The EZ flashes will only work in manual mode on the
    Canon D-SLRs, not in (A)-TTL mode. You need a flash with EX suffix for
    the Canon digital SLRs.

    > Besides, what I'm mainly after is low-light performance, and you'll notice
    > the comparison you quoted was an outdoor, daylight test only. From what
    > I've heard, the SX10 isn't quite as good as the XSi when the lights go down.

    "Isn't quite as good" is the understatement of the century! The
    difference is night and day, no pun intended.

    So did you buy any lenses with the XSi? I really want an IS lens so I
    can do more high ISO work.

    SMS, Dec 17, 2008
  13. Dudley Hanks

    SMS Guest

    Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > Well, I bit the bullet and bought an EOS Rebel XSi. It's clearly no 5d, but
    > it gives me more than half the resolution at less than a third the price.
    >
    > I figure that's a pretty good deal.
    >
    > Once I get the controls and menus figured out and memorized, it's going to
    > be interesting to see how it performs.

    Don't memorize them, _understand_ them. Canon's controls are pretty
    intuitive.

    If the economy continues as it's been doing, that 5D Mark II may be a
    lot less expensive very soon.

    SMS, Dec 18, 2008
  14. Dudley Hanks

    Paul Furman Guest

    SMS wrote:
    > If only people would
    > not feed him, but that's too much to hope for.

    Didn't you just post a thread titled:
    "Sometimes it's Just Really Sad to Watch People with P&S Cameras"

    <plonk>

    :)

    Paul Furman, Dec 18, 2008
  15. Dudley Hanks

    Archibald Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 18:17:18 -0800, SMS <>
    wrote:

    >David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >> "SMS" <> wrote:
    >>> If the economy continues as it's been doing, that 5D Mark II may be a lot
    >>> less expensive very soon.

    >> In the short term, the 5D2 should be becoming at least 15% more expensive.
    >> The price was set when US1.00 bought you 105 yen or so, but yesterday you
    >> only got 88 yen. And with the zero interest rate in the states (and higher
    >> interest rates in Japan for the first time in recent years (if ever)), the
    >> dollar will only be weakening.

    >Fortunately, prices for consumer goods are set by what the local market
    >will bear, not by the exchange rate.

    Making a profit also matters, if you think about it a bit, and profit
    is affected by the exchange rate.

    bubba

    Archibald

    Archibald, Dec 18, 2008
  16. Dudley Hanks

    Pete D Guest

    "Garret D." <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 21:30:31 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"bowser" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message

    >>> No matter. The XSi is one of the best compact SLRs out there, and
    >>> capable
    >>> of producing huge enlargements. It's a wonderful camera, no question.
    >>> You'll love it.

    >>I haven't taken a picture with it yet, and I already love it. It feels
    >>much
    >>more like my old 35mm's, and that puts me in a good frame of mind, right
    >>off
    >>the bat.
    >>
    >>Now, if it would just warm up outside, I could catch some of that freshly
    >>fallen snow and some Xmas lights...
    >>
    >>Take Care,
    >>Dudley
    >>

    > True, that's always a drawback with D/SLR lenses. They can't be used in
    > low-temperature conditions. Either it's condensation on the sensor, or
    > back
    > elements of the lenses, or the mirror. Or worse, that condensation
    > freezing all
    > that mechanical contraptions into a useless block. That's why P&S cameras
    > with
    > ultrasonic motors, which don't rely on high-viscosity lubricants to keep
    > the
    > lens elements in position and there's no exposed mirror and focal-plane
    > shutter
    > to freeze-up, work so well where D/SLR cameras have always refused to go.
    > This
    > is why I get so many more award winners with P&S cameras. The rest of the
    > "pros"
    > with their crippled D/SLRs can't get the shots that I get regularly. Their
    > chosen camera won't let them. So much for them being "intelligent" pros.

    No true at all, I have taken many shots with D-SLRs in the snow, never a
    problem, I am guessing you just don't know how to look after your gear.

    Pete D, Dec 18, 2008
  17. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "SMS" <> wrote in message
    > Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >> Well, I bit the bullet and bought an EOS Rebel XSi. It's clearly no 5d,
    >> but it gives me more than half the resolution at less than a third the
    >> price.
    >>
    >> I figure that's a pretty good deal.
    >>
    >> Once I get the controls and menus figured out and memorized, it's going
    >> to be interesting to see how it performs.

    > Don't memorize them, _understand_ them. Canon's

    As a blind photographer, I need to do both...

    controls are pretty
    > intuitive.

    But, they don't talk...
    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Dec 18, 2008
  18. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "SMS" <> wrote in message
    > Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >
    >> I agree the SX10 is a good camera, and it was a tough decision between
    >> the two. But, versatility won out over economy and portability.

    > You should have bought one of each!

    It's so easy for you to spend my money...

    >> I have a fair bit of EOS equipment from my old A2 35mm camera that will
    >> work with the Rebel. Of course, the flashes will work with the SX10, but
    >> the rest won't.

    > Beware that some of the old flashes won't work with the XSi (or any of the
    > Canon digital SLRs). I had the EOS-5QD, which was the non-U.S. version of
    > the A2E (the A2E was the A2 with eye-controlled focus), and the 430EZ
    > flash. The EZ flashes will only work in manual mode on the Canon D-SLRs,
    > not in (A)-TTL mode. You need a flash with EX suffix for the Canon digital
    > SLRs.

    My 540ez has manual mode, and the other has an x suffix, but I forget the
    exact model number...

    >> Besides, what I'm mainly after is low-light performance, and you'll
    >> notice the comparison you quoted was an outdoor, daylight test only.
    >> From what I've heard, the SX10 isn't quite as good as the XSi when the
    >> lights go down.

    > "Isn't quite as good" is the understatement of the century! The difference
    > is night and day, no pun intended.
    >
    > So did you buy any lenses with the XSi? I really want an IS lens so I can
    > do more high ISO work.

    Two.

    I picked up the standard 18 - 55mm and the 55 - 250mm.

    My wife has been shooting with a Digital Rebel XT for about a year, and she
    loves the IS lens.

    Prior to the Rebel, she was using an old Powershot A70, and she was never
    happy with it. Her ratio of keepers / garbage increased dramatically with
    the Rebel.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Dec 18, 2008
  19. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "trey dallas" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 05:50:44 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"SMS" <> wrote in message

    >>> Don't memorize them, _understand_ them. Canon's

    >>As a blind photographer, I need to do both...
    >>
    >>controls are pretty
    >>> intuitive.

    >>But, they don't talk...
    >>Take Care,
    >>Dudley
    >>

    > Post a suggestion to the authors of CHDK for Canon P&S cameras. See if
    > they'll
    > merge the menu-navigation voice module from the open-source RockBox MP3
    > player
    > project into the CHDK cameras. RockBoxed MP3 players voice what menu
    > selection
    > you are in and what settings you make, if that option is turned on. You
    > don't
    > have to look at the screen and can still navigate their many-layered menus
    > and
    > song-titles just by listening.
    >
    > The CHDK authors would be applauded greatly by people from many walks of
    > life if
    > they could pull off that trick. I bet they could too, if they were given
    > incentive by knowing how many people it would benefit. Maybe you could get
    > some
    > organization that you know involved in trying to help them to accomplish
    > this,
    > or even help in programming that capability into CHDK P&S cameras.
    >
    > Here's a link to their CHDK forums http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php
    > in case
    > you are motivated to try to get the ball rolling in that direction.

    Great idea. That would be the ultimate...

    But, even some strategic beeps would do wonders to open up the usability of
    the DSLR's to low-vision and legally blind persons.

    I've already contacted Canon about the sales potential that such a
    modification would generate. Nothing is finalized yet, but it appears that
    the company is at least listening...

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Dec 18, 2008
  20. Pete D wrote:
    []
    > No true at all, I have taken many shots with D-SLRs in the snow,
    > never a problem, I am guessing you just don't know how to look after
    > your gear.

    You guess wrong - it would simply say any lies to see its post read ans
    answered. Stop feeding it.

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 18, 2008