    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    http://www.karyn.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 5, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    EMB Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > heh, just had a user ring up from finance, asking why everything was
    > running so slowly.

    Was that a power user or a power luser?

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 5, 2004

  3. EMB wrote:
    >> heh, just had a user ring up from finance, asking why everything was
    >> running so slowly.

    > Was that a power user or a power luser?

    they're not so bad... they just don't understand.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 5, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    EMB Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >
    >>> heh, just had a user ring up from finance, asking why everything was
    >>> running so slowly.

    >> Was that a power user or a power luser?

    > they're not so bad... they just don't understand.

    Print out all their data, stack it on their desk and see how slowly they
    work. Once you've done this they will have a much greater understanding
    and empathy for the problem.

    I've just had the number one all time luser at one of my clients sites
    open every attachment he's had today and gain several new and
    interesting virii. He's now behind his very own smoothwall that blocks
    pretty much everything except browsing and mail to/from their
    mailserver, and the mailserver won't accept anything with an attachment
    sent to his account. It should slow him up for the next week while I'm
    out of the country and don't want to respond to their yells for help.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 5, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 14:29:45 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >heh, just had a user ring up from finance, asking why everything was
    >running so slowly.
    >I connect to their machine and notice that they have ~20 Outlook windows
    >open, along with most of them with attachments, all open aswell.
    >After closing most of them, trying to narrow down the problem, I
    >discover an Excel doc open, that is 184MB, and Im thinking, "boy, thats
    >a large spreadsheet", when they say, oh, it's pulling data from these
    >other 18 spreadsheets aswell.
    >
    >Win2k SP4, Cel733, 128MB ram
    >
    >and they wonder why it is slow.
    >
    >I have suggested that they try to deal with data in a different(smaller)
    >way, along with getting them another 512MB ram.

    LOL! What sort of crusty machines are you running there!

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Nov 5, 2004
  6. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Fri, 05 Nov 2004 16:28:49 +1300, DoggNZ <>
    says...
    > On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 14:29:45 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >heh, just had a user ring up from finance, asking why everything was
    > >running so slowly.
    > >I connect to their machine and notice that they have ~20 Outlook windows
    > >open, along with most of them with attachments, all open aswell.
    > >After closing most of them, trying to narrow down the problem, I
    > >discover an Excel doc open, that is 184MB, and Im thinking, "boy, thats
    > >a large spreadsheet", when they say, oh, it's pulling data from these
    > >other 18 spreadsheets aswell.
    > >
    > >Win2k SP4, Cel733, 128MB ram
    > >
    > >and they wonder why it is slow.
    > >
    > >I have suggested that they try to deal with data in a different(smaller)
    > >way, along with getting them another 512MB ram.

    > LOL! What sort of crusty machines are you running there!

    Only about 3 years old I'd say

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 5, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > heh, just had a user ring up from finance, asking why everything was
    > running so slowly.
    > I connect to their machine and notice that they have ~20 Outlook windows
    > open, along with most of them with attachments, all open aswell.
    > After closing most of them, trying to narrow down the problem, I
    > discover an Excel doc open, that is 184MB, and Im thinking, "boy, thats
    > a large spreadsheet", when they say, oh, it's pulling data from these
    > other 18 spreadsheets aswell.

    He he.

    Chap at work the other day discovered that he could in fact close down
    IE windows, rather than just run a new one everytime he wanted to go to
    another web site.

    Winner of the "raise the eyebrows of their colleagues" award.

    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Nov 5, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Allistar Guest

    -=[Waylon Smithers]=- wrote:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> heh, just had a user ring up from finance, asking why everything was
    >> running so slowly.
    >> I connect to their machine and notice that they have ~20 Outlook windows
    >> open, along with most of them with attachments, all open aswell.
    >> After closing most of them, trying to narrow down the problem, I
    >> discover an Excel doc open, that is 184MB, and Im thinking, "boy, thats
    >> a large spreadsheet", when they say, oh, it's pulling data from these
    >> other 18 spreadsheets aswell.

    > He he.
    >
    > Chap at work the other day discovered that he could in fact close down
    > IE windows, rather than just run a new one everytime he wanted to go to
    > another web site.
    >
    > Winner of the "raise the eyebrows of their colleagues" award.

    Sounds like someone needs to be shown Firefox and the marvel that is "tabbed
    browsing".

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Nov 6, 2004
  9. DoggNZ wrote:
    >>Win2k SP4, Cel733, 128MB ram
    >>and they wonder why it is slow.
    >>I have suggested that they try to deal with data in a different(smaller)
    >>way, along with getting them another 512MB ram.

    > LOL! What sort of crusty machines are you running there!

    IBM... it's due for replacement in a month or so.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 7, 2004
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 09:27:36 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >DoggNZ wrote:
    >>>Win2k SP4, Cel733, 128MB ram
    >>>and they wonder why it is slow.
    >>>I have suggested that they try to deal with data in a different(smaller)
    >>>way, along with getting them another 512MB ram.

    >> LOL! What sort of crusty machines are you running there!

    >IBM... it's due for replacement in a month or so.

    Probably for the best...

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Nov 8, 2004
  11. DoggNZ wrote:
    >>>LOL! What sort of crusty machines are you running there!

    >>IBM... it's due for replacement in a month or so.

    > Probably for the best...

    indeed it is.
    On a new machine it is pretty hard to tell the difference between a Cel
    or a P3, but when they get to three years old, it makes all the
    difference... The P3 feels like it has ~256MB ram more, but it doesnt.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 8, 2004