    May be the question has been already posted, but really I don't have much
    time to google around... sorry.

    Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZmVhbm9yZWxm?=, Sep 22, 2005

  2. You can boot into safe mode and recover your files, there is no other way to
    extend the expiration.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Sep 22, 2005

  3. You do NOT NEED TO BUY A WHOLE SYSTEM to buy the OEM copy. "Qualifying
    hardware" is rather loosely interpreted and can mean as little as a mouse or
    cooling fan. And there will never be a "Retail" version, from all
    indications we've seen. So buy an OEM version from your favourite white box
    retailer and get on with it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 23, 2005
  4. Only if its available where he, which it doesn't seem to be. Its not
    available here in the Jamaica, my aunty had to purchase mine and ship it
    out.

    Andre Da Costa, Sep 23, 2005
  5. Tricky. It _should_ be, but I know some locations are a problem. On the
    other hand, this is the sort of time when having a good working relationship
    with your local white box (system builder) shop can be helpful. If I lived
    and functioned in a location where this sort of thing was a problem, I'd
    build a good working relationship with a local clone builder, as I have in
    the past.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 23, 2005
  6. The OEM rules have changed.

    Old Rule:
    OEM Windows may be sold either pre-installed on a fully assembled machine or
    with non-peripheral hardware ie. essential to the running of the machine.

    New Rule:
    OEM Windows may only be sold pre-installed on a fully assembled machine.

    It also says that OEM Office must be pre-installed on the fully assembled
    machine now.

    It's on the OEM System Builder website.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FyYWg=?=, Sep 23, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?ZmVhbm9yZWxm?=

    GregRo Guest

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:57:04 -0700, "Sarah"
    <> wrote:

    >The OEM rules have changed.
    >
    >Old Rule:
    >OEM Windows may be sold either pre-installed on a fully assembled machine or
    >with non-peripheral hardware ie. essential to the running of the machine.
    >
    >New Rule:
    >OEM Windows may only be sold pre-installed on a fully assembled machine.
    >
    >It also says that OEM Office must be pre-installed on the fully assembled
    >machine now.
    >
    >It's on the OEM System Builder website.
    >
    >"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

    The above is not true.
    Walmart.com is still selling the Oem with Just a Mouse.

    This new oem rule only applies to xp oem and above not previous
    windows version.

    Does this mean that every oem sold without a computer is piracy. I
    seriously doubt that.

    What if a consumer wanted to build a system or rebuild system? How
    could he/she legally purchase an oem from a retailer?

    Greg Ro

    GregRo, Sep 23, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?ZmVhbm9yZWxm?=

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "feanorelf" <> wrote in message
    > OK. In half an hour my 120 days are over. Which is bad itself, but it's
    > even
    > wrong as I x64 retail is not yet available, and I would not like to
    > purchase
    > a new system just to be entitled to purchase an OEM (ell, here in Italy is
    > not as simple as purchasing the OEM together with a screw :( ).
    >
    > So, is there any way to prolong the life of my system in the meanwhile, or
    > does this mean I have no other chance than stick back to XP 32?
    >
    > May be the question has been already posted, but really I don't have much
    > time to google around... sorry.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition has been available for OEM purchase for
    several months.
    Even if you bought a new system today, the Technology Exchange was valid
    only through last July 31st.

    You should have done your homework...

    You cannot buy Windows XP Professional x64 at retail. Check sites like
    NewEgg...

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Sep 23, 2005
  9. http://oem.microsoft.com/downloads/Public/sblicense/English_SB_License.pdf

    http://oem.microsoft.com/downloads/licensing/newlicenseinter.html

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FyYWg=?=, Sep 23, 2005
  10. See the Scenarios:

    ....They are not intended for distribution to end users unless the end user
    is assembling his/her own machine.

    Dominic Payer, Sep 23, 2005
  11. Which a lot of end users do.

    Andre Da Costa, Sep 23, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?ZmVhbm9yZWxm?=

    Greg Ro Guest

    How do I buy an oem copy legally was Re: It's expiring!!!

    How do I buy an oem copy legally

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 07:37:34 +0100, "Dominic Payer"
    <> wrote:

    > ....They are not intended for distribution to end users unless the end user
    >is assembling his/her own machine.

    So that my questions. How do I buy that copy.

    So, do I just call up Microsoft and say I'm rebuilding or building a
    computer and get xp pro oem or home oem for $5.00 plus shipping

    And again the new oem rule is for windows xp and above not previous
    version of windows. It says that in the new oem rule.

    Remember, Walmart.com and other places are still selling xp oem with
    hardware.

    Greg Ro

    Greg Ro, Sep 23, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?ZmVhbm9yZWxm?=

    Rick Guest

    Re: How do I buy an oem copy legally was Re: It's expiring!!!

    Are there any computer stores close to you in Indiana? If so, you can
    purchase a piece of "non-peripheral' equipment and a copy of Win x64
    OEM. If not, do a 'ZAT-00007' or 'ZAT-00008' search in Froogle for
    online retailers that sell it legally under the same premise"

    Rick, Sep 23, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?ZmVhbm9yZWxm?=

    Bo Persson Guest

    "Andre Da Costa" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > Which a lot of end users do.

    Yes, and there is no problem in practice.

    I assembled my machine last year, and used beta versions of Windows.

    When the final version became available, I just ordered an OEM version
    and reinstalled. Worked fine. I didn't even have to buy a new mouse.
    :)

    So now I have a CD and a genuine license document. Do you think MS
    will bother to challenge the legality of buying different parts of the
    computer at different times? Or reusing parts from an older machine?

    If they do, it is up to *them* to prove a breach of contract. How
    would they do that?

    Bo Persson

    Bo Persson, Sep 23, 2005
  15. Re: How do I buy an oem copy legally was Re: It's expiring!!!

    I purchased my XP 64 from TigerDirect, 130 bucks or so, it was easy.

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1421770&Sku=M17-7505

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?= >, Sep 23, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?ZmVhbm9yZWxm?=

    Z Guest

    Greg Ro wrote:
    > How do I buy an oem copy legally

    Find a website or brick&mortar you trust and buy it.

    Avoid eBay and fly-by-night web sites like the plague - you'll get
    ripped off every time.

    XP Pro OEM can be had for about $140.

    I get mine from tigerdirect, usually.

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=xp pro oem

    Z, Sep 23, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?ZmVhbm9yZWxm?=

    Rick Guest

    Not unless you go around telling everyone and someone decides to check
    up on you!

    Rick, Sep 23, 2005
  18. Re: How do I buy an oem copy legally was Re: It's expiring!!!

    You can buy from anyone who is willing to sell you a legal copy.

    Copies with the old licence - and copies with the old licence will be
    available for some time in the distribution channel - may be bought with
    qualifying hardware and can be used to upgrade an existing machine. The copy
    is tied to the hardware with which it was bought.

    Copies with the new licence may be used only to install on a new machine -
    not to upgrade an existing machine.

    It remains to be seen whether Microsoft can and will enforce the new licence
    terms.

    Dominic Payer, Sep 23, 2005
  19. =?Utf-8?B?ZmVhbm9yZWxm?=

    Bob Guest

    Re: How do I buy an oem copy legally was Re: It's expiring!!!

    Dominic,
    What do you mean by "new license"? Has M$ changed their license
    agreement for OEM XP's recently? If so, can you point me to the updated
    EULA.

    Thanks,
    -Brick

    Bob, Sep 23, 2005
  20. Re: How do I buy an oem copy legally was Re: It's expiring!!!

    See the links in Sarah's post above.

    Dominic Payer, Sep 23, 2005