Items in basic D90 bundle?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PDM, Feb 4, 2009.

  1. PDM

    PDM Guest

    One reason for missing items is that is has previously been sold and then
    returned, the original owner not putting everything back in the box. Had
    this happen to me last year. It is very rare for Nikon, Canon et al not to
    have included all the right accessories.

    PDM

    mianileng, Feb 5, 2009

  3. PDM

    D-Mac Guest

    mianileng wrote:

    > The Nikon D90 I ordered from a dealer has just arrived but some items
    > seem to be missing. Since not even a manual is included, I cannot be
    > sure what should be included. My broadband is down again, dial-up is
    > slower than normal and it's difficult to download the manual or
    > browse around for information.
    >
    > The package includes the camera, battery, battery charger and power
    > cord. Nothing else. I'd expected at least a manual, data cable,
    > software CD/DVD and neckstrap to be included.
    >
    > Please tell me what items are missing from the standard basic bundle
    > so that I can call the dealers and tell them what is missing.

    Funny isn't it?
    I just bought some D90's this very afternoon for a big event shoot
    later this month so I can tell you exactly what is in the box(es).

    http://www.d-mac.info/fun-pix/d-90.htm

    The camera body,
    Software CD,
    Manual,
    Body cap,
    Neck strap,
    Battery,
    Charger,
    Quick pocket guide.
    A manual thick enough to choke a horse.
    The warranty information.
    Capture NX2 trial version
    USB cable
    VIdeo cables (for TV output)

    Some US mail order houses buy kits from Nikon and strip out the
    contents to sell seperately. Dirty business but profitiable for them.

    --
    Meet D-Mac, the man they love to hate.
    http://www.D-mac.info
    D-Mac, Feb 5, 2009
  4. PDM

    nospam Guest

    nospam, Feb 5, 2009
  5. "mianileng" <> wrote:
    >The Nikon D90 I ordered from a dealer has just arrived but some
    >items seem to be missing. Since not even a manual is included, I
    >cannot be sure what should be included. My broadband is down
    >again, dial-up is slower than normal and it's difficult to
    >download the manual or browse around for information.
    >
    >The package includes the camera, battery, battery charger and
    >power cord. Nothing else. I'd expected at least a manual, data
    >cable, software CD/DVD and neckstrap to be included.
    >
    >Please tell me what items are missing from the standard basic
    >bundle so that I can call the dealers and tell them what is
    >missing.

    Sounds like you have been had by the Brooklyn scum bags. See e.g.
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo. Do any of those
    stories in the customer feedback section sound familiar to you? Those
    people operate under a new name every month, so don't be surprised if
    the name doesn't match.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Feb 5, 2009
  6. PDM

    mianileng Guest

    mianileng wrote:
    > The Nikon D90 I ordered from a dealer has just arrived but some
    > items seem to be missing. Since not even a manual is included,
    > cannot be sure what should be included. My broadband is down
    > again, dial-up is slower than normal and it's difficult to
    > download the manual or browse around for information.
    >
    > The package includes the camera, battery, battery charger and
    > power cord. Nothing else. I'd expected at least a manual, data
    > cable, software CD/DVD and neckstrap to be included.
    >
    > Please tell me what items are missing from the standard basic
    > bundle so that I can call the dealers and tell them what is
    > missing.

    Thanks for the replies, everyone. What I didn't mention in my
    initial post was that I asked the dealer to substitute an
    18-200mm Nikkor for the 18-105mm kit lens and for some reason,
    they're sending the lens in a separate package which has not
    arrived yet.

    Armed with the info you provided, I called the dealer and they
    assured me that all the items missing from the camera box are
    coming with the lens.

    Rather surprising that they separated those standard accessories,
    even the manual, from the camera body. ATM I'm giving them the
    benefit of the doubt and assuming that they opened the box to
    take out the 18-105mm kit lens and forgot to put the other items
    back.

    The dealer is J.J.Mehta & Sons in Mumbai, India and they have
    established themselves for several years as both conventional and
    online shops. Their website is http://www.jjmehta.com and they
    have a fairly active photography forum.
    mianileng, Feb 5, 2009
  7. PDM

    mianileng Guest

    Caesar Romano wrote:
    > On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 20:31:26 +0530, "mianileng"
    > <> wrote Re Re: Items in basic D90
    > bundle?:
    >
    >> mianileng wrote:
    >>> The Nikon D90 I ordered from a dealer has just arrived but
    >>> some
    >>> items seem to be missing. Since not even a manual is
    >>> included,
    >>> cannot be sure what should be included. My broadband is down
    >>> again, dial-up is slower than normal and it's difficult to
    >>> download the manual or browse around for information.
    >>>
    >>> The package includes the camera, battery, battery charger and
    >>> power cord. Nothing else. I'd expected at least a manual,
    >>> data
    >>> cable, software CD/DVD and neckstrap to be included.
    >>>
    >>> Please tell me what items are missing from the standard basic
    >>> bundle so that I can call the dealers and tell them what is
    >>> missing.

    >> Thanks for the replies, everyone. What I didn't mention in my
    >> initial post was that I asked the dealer to substitute an
    >> 18-200mm Nikkor for the 18-105mm kit lens and for some reason,
    >> they're sending the lens in a separate package which has not
    >> arrived yet.
    >>
    >> Armed with the info you provided, I called the dealer and they
    >> assured me that all the items missing from the camera box are
    >> coming with the lens.
    >>
    >> Rather surprising that they separated those standard
    >> accessories,
    >> even the manual, from the camera body. ATM I'm giving them the
    >> benefit of the doubt and assuming that they opened the box to
    >> take out the 18-105mm kit lens and forgot to put the other
    >> items
    >> back.
    >>
    >> The dealer is J.J.Mehta & Sons in Mumbai, India and they have
    >> established themselves for several years as both conventional
    >> and
    >> online shops. Their website is http://www.jjmehta.com and they
    >> have a fairly active photography forum.
    >>

    > Please let us know how this turns out. You might also consider
    > adding
    > a rating review for jjmehta.com at
    > http://www.resellerratings.com/
    > You would have to add them as a new merchant as they are not
    > currently
    > listed.

    I'll do that. Thanks again for your interest.
    mianileng, Feb 5, 2009
  8. PDM

    mianileng Guest

    bmoag wrote:
    > Are you sure J.J.Mehta & Sons in Mumbai, India isn't really
    > based in
    > Brooklyn?

    I'm not sure if that wasn't a sarcastic rhetorical question. But
    here's my answer:
    I have not actually visited their shop but I'm familiar with the
    area they pinpointed as their location in Mumbai. The people I
    spoke to on several occasions have unmistakable Indian accents.
    Members of their forum occasionally mention the shop - usually
    neither glowing praise nor criticism, just matter-of-fact
    mentions. The D90 I received today bore a Mumbai postmark and
    transit time was about the same as with any other product I
    ordered from Mumbai before.
    mianileng, Feb 5, 2009
  9. PDM

    eNo Guest

    On Feb 4, 11:35 pm, "mianileng" <> wrote:
    > The Nikon D90 I ordered from a dealer has just arrived but some
    > items seem to be missing. Since not even a manual is included, I
    > cannot be sure what should be included. My broadband is down
    > again, dial-up is slower than normal and it's difficult to
    > download the manual or browse around for information.
    >
    > The package includes the camera, battery, battery charger and
    > power cord. Nothing else. I'd expected at least a manual, data
    > cable, software CD/DVD and neckstrap to be included.
    >
    > Please tell me what items are missing from the standard basic
    > bundle so that I can call the dealers and tell them what is
    > missing.

    This smells like trouble. See about returning this ASAP and getting
    the real deal.

    http://esuastegui.esmartweb.com/D80
    eNo, Feb 7, 2009
  10. PDM

    eNo Guest

    On Feb 5, 7:01 am, "mianileng" <> wrote:
    > mianileng wrote:
    > > The Nikon D90 I ordered from a dealer has just arrived but some
    > > items seem to be missing. Since not even a manual is included,
    > > cannot be sure what should be included. My broadband is down
    > > again, dial-up is slower than normal and it's difficult to
    > > download the manual or browse around for information.

    > > The package includes the camera, battery, battery charger and
    > > power cord. Nothing else. I'd expected at least a manual, data
    > > cable, software CD/DVD and neckstrap to be included.

    > > Please tell me what items are missing from the standard basic
    > > bundle so that I can call the dealers and tell them what is
    > > missing.

    > Thanks for the replies, everyone. What I didn't mention in my
    > initial post was that I asked the dealer to substitute an
    > 18-200mm Nikkor for the 18-105mm kit lens and for some reason,
    > they're sending the lens in a separate package which has not
    > arrived yet.
    >
    > Armed with the info you provided, I called the dealer and they
    > assured me that all the items missing from the camera box are
    > coming with the lens.
    >
    > Rather surprising that they separated those standard accessories,
    > even the manual, from the camera body. ATM I'm giving them the
    > benefit of the doubt and assuming that they opened the box to
    > take out the 18-105mm kit lens and forgot to put the other items
    > back.
    >
    > The dealer is J.J.Mehta & Sons in Mumbai, India and they have
    > established themselves for several years as both conventional and
    > online shops. Their website ishttp://www.jjmehta.comand they
    > have a fairly active photography forum.

    As soon as you can take a shot, take a JPG and examine its EXIF
    information with Opanda. If the shutter count is any higher than 10
    clicks, I'd demand a return and refund.
    eNo, Feb 7, 2009
  11. PDM

    mianileng Guest

    eNo wrote:
    > On Feb 5, 7:01 am, "mianileng" <>
    > wrote:
    >> mianileng wrote:
    >>> The Nikon D90 I ordered from a dealer has just arrived but
    >>> some
    >>> items seem to be missing. Since not even a manual is
    >>> included,
    >>> cannot be sure what should be included. My broadband is down
    >>> again, dial-up is slower than normal and it's difficult to
    >>> download the manual or browse around for information.

    >>> The package includes the camera, battery, battery charger and
    >>> power cord. Nothing else. I'd expected at least a manual,
    >>> data
    >>> cable, software CD/DVD and neckstrap to be included.

    > As soon as you can take a shot, take a JPG and examine its EXIF
    > information with Opanda. If the shutter count is any higher
    > than 10
    > clicks, I'd demand a return and refund.

    I already checked the shutter count using a borrowed lens and it
    read 0.
    mianileng, Feb 7, 2009