It stuck its lens out and went dead. Kodak DC280 frozen. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Phillip Oster, Oct 26, 2006.

  1. I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it after
    it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries and pressed
    its power switch.

    It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
    batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.

    Any advice on getting it going?
     
    David Phillip Oster, Oct 26, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. David Phillip Oster

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Re: It stuck its lens out and went dead. Kodak DC280 frozen. Anyadvice?

    David Phillip Oster wrote:
    > I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it after
    > it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries and pressed
    > its power switch.
    >
    > It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
    > batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.
    >
    > Any advice on getting it going?


    Hi...

    Just a suggestion that's worth trying...

    It's possible that the battery contacts inside the camera
    corroded a bit, so get a new pencil with an eraser on the end.
    Use the eraser end to gently scrub the battery contacts inside
    the camera, and try it again.

    Take care.

    Ken
     
    Ken Weitzel, Oct 26, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In article <TsV%g.197469$R63.53020@pd7urf1no>,
    Ken Weitzel <> wrote:

    > David Phillip Oster wrote:
    > > I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it after
    > > it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries and pressed
    > > its power switch.
    > >
    > > It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
    > > batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.
    > >
    > > Any advice on getting it going?

    >
    > Hi...
    >
    > Just a suggestion that's worth trying...
    >
    > It's possible that the battery contacts inside the camera
    > corroded a bit, so get a new pencil with an eraser on the end.
    > Use the eraser end to gently scrub the battery contacts inside
    > the camera, and try it again.
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken


    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it. Still no signs of life from the
    camera. It was a good idea, though.

    David Phillip Oster
     
    David Phillip Oster, Oct 26, 2006
    #3
  4. David Phillip Oster wrote:
    > In article <TsV%g.197469$R63.53020@pd7urf1no>,
    > Ken Weitzel <> wrote:
    >
    >> David Phillip Oster wrote:
    >>> I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it
    >>> after it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries
    >>> and pressed its power switch.
    >>>
    >>> It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
    >>> batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.
    >>>
    >>> Any advice on getting it going?

    >>
    >> Hi...
    >>
    >> Just a suggestion that's worth trying...
    >>
    >> It's possible that the battery contacts inside the camera
    >> corroded a bit, so get a new pencil with an eraser on the end.
    >> Use the eraser end to gently scrub the battery contacts inside
    >> the camera, and try it again.
    >>
    >> Take care.
    >>
    >> Ken

    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it. Still no signs of life from the
    > camera. It was a good idea, though.
    >
    > David Phillip Oster


    I recently revived a binned Nikon Coolpix by simply cleaning out dust from
    the front/sides of the lens housing. It has worked ever since!
     
    Dennis Pogson, Oct 26, 2006
    #4
  5. "David Phillip Oster" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:...
    > I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it after
    > it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries and pressed
    > its power switch.
    >
    > It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
    > batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.
    >
    > Any advice on getting it going?


    Did the lens come all the way out? Might be a chunk of grit stuck in there.
     
    Charles Schuler, Oct 26, 2006
    #5
  6. David Phillip Oster

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    David Phillip Oster <> wrote:

    > I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it after
    > it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries and pressed
    > its power switch.
    >
    > It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
    > batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.
    >
    > Any advice on getting it going?


    If all the other advice fails. Try soaking the whole thing in warm water
    (no soap) for half an hour, then leave it in a warm place for a couple
    of days to dry out. If that doesn't work, is the camera still under
    warranty?
     
    Stewy, Oct 29, 2006
    #6
  7. David Phillip Oster

    John Turco Guest

    Stewy wrote:
    >
    > In article <>,
    > David Phillip Oster <> wrote:
    >
    > > I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it after
    > > it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries and pressed
    > > its power switch.
    > >
    > > It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
    > > batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.
    > >
    > > Any advice on getting it going?

    >
    > If all the other advice fails. Try soaking the whole thing in warm water
    > (no soap) for half an hour, then leave it in a warm place for a couple
    > of days to dry out. If that doesn't work, is the camera still under
    > warranty?



    Hello, Stewy:

    You're advising somebody to soak a delicate electronic device, such as a
    digicam? Are you serious?


    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
     
    John Turco, Oct 31, 2006
    #7
  8. David Phillip Oster

    George Kerby Guest

    Re: It stuck its lens out and went dead. Kodak DC280 frozen. Anyadvice?

    On 10/30/06 11:02 PM, in article , "John
    Turco" <> wrote:

    > Stewy wrote:
    >>
    >> In article <>,
    >> David Phillip Oster <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it after
    >>> it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries and pressed
    >>> its power switch.
    >>>
    >>> It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
    >>> batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.
    >>>
    >>> Any advice on getting it going?

    >>
    >> If all the other advice fails. Try soaking the whole thing in warm water
    >> (no soap) for half an hour, then leave it in a warm place for a couple
    >> of days to dry out. If that doesn't work, is the camera still under
    >> warranty?

    >
    >
    > Hello, Stewy:
    >
    > You're advising somebody to soak a delicate electronic device, such as a
    > digicam? Are you serious?
    >
    >
    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    Naw, if he were serious he would have included the soap.



    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
     
    George Kerby, Oct 31, 2006
    #8
  9. David Phillip Oster

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi David,

    Sorry to hear about your camera.

    When you replaced the batteries, did you use rechargeables, lithium, or
    regular AA batteries. Those cameras took a lot of power at startup and if
    the batteries you used were minimal, you might not have had enough power to
    boot and things got stuck. Regular alkalines should work and this is quite
    unusual but I suppose it could happen that way. Regardless, try fully
    charged rechargeables if that is an option for you. Or, try the lithiums.
    Even if that is not the problem the batteries will be able to used. Of
    course, if you have an adapter for the camera plug it in and try booting
    using it.

    If none of these work, remove the memory card and try one that you know is
    working alright.

    If these options do not work then I am afraid you are likely out of luck.
    Let me know.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company



    "David Phillip Oster" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:...
    > I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it after
    > it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries and pressed
    > its power switch.
    >
    > It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
    > batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.
    >
    > Any advice on getting it going?
     
    Ron Baird, Nov 2, 2006
    #9
  10. On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 11:23:56 -0500, Ron Baird wrote:
    >
    > When you replaced the batteries, did you use rechargeables, lithium, or
    > regular AA batteries. Those cameras took a lot of power at startup and if
    > the batteries you used were minimal, you might not have had enough power to
    > boot and things got stuck. Regular alkalines should work and this is quite
    > unusual but I suppose it could happen that way. Regardless, try fully
    > charged rechargeables if that is an option for you. Or, try the lithiums.
    > Even if that is not the problem the batteries will be able to used. Of
    > course, if you have an adapter for the camera plug it in and try booting
    > using it.
    >
    > If none of these work, remove the memory card and try one that you know is
    > working alright.


    Also, double-check to insure the "Mode Dial" on the back of the camera
    is not set/stuck in between two of the 'valid' selections. That happens
    to me now and then. Scares the hell out of me each time....

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    38.24N 104.55W | @ config.com | Jonesy | OS/2
    *** Killfiling google posts: <http//jonz.net/ng.htm>
     
    Allodoxaphobia, Nov 2, 2006
    #10
  11. David Phillip Oster

    Guest

    David Phillip Oster wrote:
    > I've got a Kodak DC280 camera powered by 4 AA cells. I went use it after
    > it had been idle for a long time, put in 4 fresh batteries and pressed
    > its power switch.
    >
    > It stuck its lens out, then went dead: black display. Changing the
    > batteries had no effect. Chaning the memory card had no effect.
    >
    > Any advice on getting it going?


    Apply pressure to the end of the battery drawer whilst switching on. If
    the camera then comes on and goes off when you release the pressure
    then (a) your new batteries are slightly shorter than normal, and/or
    (b) the contact springs have weakened.

    To retension/lengthen the springs, use something like a crochet hook to
    give them one or two slight tugs -- excessive force or visible bending
    of the flat contact or extension of the conical spring should not be
    required. Try this anyway even if the pressure test doesn't work. If
    you can't find a crochet hook, a small flat-bladed screwdriver can
    probably be used at an angle to exercise them enough.

    Chris
     
    , Nov 2, 2006
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Tripp Knightly

    Kodak DC280 won't power up on batteries...

    Tripp Knightly, Aug 16, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    724
    Tripp Knightly
    Aug 26, 2003
  2. gabbo

    weird kodak dc280 problem

    gabbo, Oct 13, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    504
    gabbo
    Oct 17, 2003
  3. Hugh Cowan

    Memory Speeds & Specs (Kodak DC280)

    Hugh Cowan, Dec 18, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    487
    Hugh Cowan
    Dec 18, 2003
  4. Daniel

    Reset Kodak DC280

    Daniel, Feb 9, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    447
    Daniel
    Feb 12, 2004
  5. the6carrules

    4-5MP cameras versus old Kodak DC280 2MP question

    the6carrules, Jun 7, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    669
    Ron Baird
    Jun 8, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page