IT Service desk job - if anyone is interested.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Mar 27, 2008.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Client Service Analyst - Desktop

    Information Technology Services

    You will provide first and second level support for our computing needs.

    Your key responsibilities will be fostering excellent client
    relationships, providing timely and appropriate solutions to IT problems
    and keeping abreast of technical innovations underway and within the
    wider IT industry.

    A relevant IT qualification, tertiary qualification or proven experience
    in an IT support role would be an advantage for this demanding role.

    Closing Date: Friday 4 April

    To avoid spam, Drop me an email with your CV and I will forward it.



    regards

    thing
     
    thingy, Mar 27, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. thingy

    EMB Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Client Service Analyst - Desktop
    >


    Located approximately where?
     
    EMB, Mar 27, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> Client Service Analyst - Desktop
    >>

    >
    > Located approximately where?



    oops

    Wellington.

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, Mar 27, 2008
    #3
  4. On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:19:00 +1300, thingy wrote:

    >> Located approximately where?

    >
    > oops
    >
    > Wellington.
    >
    > regards
    > Thing


    For what corporation or company?


    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
    was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."
     
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Mar 28, 2008
    #4
  5. thingy

    JohnO Guest

    On Mar 27, 10:19 pm, thingy <> wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    > > thingy wrote:
    > >> Client Service Analyst - Desktop

    >
    > > Located approximately where?

    >
    > oops
    >
    > Wellington.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing


    There's a Wellington in Mumbai?
     
    JohnO, Mar 28, 2008
    #5
  6. thingy

    Bobs Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Client Service Analyst - Desktop
    >
    > Information Technology Services
    >
    > You will provide first and second level support for our computing needs.
    >
    > Your key responsibilities will be fostering excellent client
    > relationships, providing timely and appropriate solutions to IT problems
    > and keeping abreast of technical innovations underway and within the
    > wider IT industry.
    >
    > A relevant IT qualification, tertiary qualification or proven experience
    > in an IT support role would be an advantage for this demanding role.
    >
    > Closing Date: Friday 4 April
    >
    > To avoid spam, Drop me an email with your CV and I will forward it.
    >
    >
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing
    >
    >


    Ahhh...the ye olde Service Desk. Worst job in the entire IT field.
    Pretty much a toilet really...where you just get shit on all day.
    Internal ones aren't any better sorry. Desktop Support fucks something
    up? You cop it from the customer. 3rd tier support fucks up? You cop it
    from the customer. Bug in a program beyond your control? You cop it from
    the customer. User error? You cop it from the customer. Hardware
    failure? Yes, you cop it from the customer.

    You're pretty much there to be yelled at.
     
    Bobs, Mar 28, 2008
    #6
  7. thingy

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <47ed5939$>,
    Bobs <> wrote:
    >
    >Ahhh...the ye olde Service Desk. Worst job in the entire IT field.
    >Pretty much a toilet really...where you just get shit on all day.
    >Internal ones aren't any better sorry. Desktop Support fucks something
    >up? You cop it from the customer. 3rd tier support fucks up? You cop it
    >from the customer. Bug in a program beyond your control? You cop it from
    >the customer. User error? You cop it from the customer. Hardware
    >failure? Yes, you cop it from the customer.
    >
    >You're pretty much there to be yelled at.


    .... and because the universal perception is that you're doing a poor job,
    you get paid b-all for it.

    --
    Don Hills (dmhills at attglobaldotnet) Wellington, New Zealand
    "New interface closely resembles Presentation Manager,
    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    -- Advertisement on the box for Microsoft Windows 2.11 for 286
     
    Don Hills, Mar 29, 2008
    #7
  8. thingy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Bobs <> wrote in news:47ed5939$1
    @news.orcon.net.nz:

    > Ahhh...the ye olde Service Desk. Worst job in the entire IT field.
    > Pretty much a toilet really...where you just get shit on all day.
    > Internal ones aren't any better sorry. Desktop Support fucks something
    > up? You cop it from the customer. 3rd tier support fucks up? You cop it
    > from the customer. Bug in a program beyond your control? You cop it from
    > the customer. User error? You cop it from the customer. Hardware
    > failure? Yes, you cop it from the customer.
    >
    > You're pretty much there to be yelled at.


    If you go into that type of job with that attitude you burn out in weeks.
    It can be rewarding when you get to fix things and train the user so they
    know why things happen and how they can fix with your help. You can be an
    enabler in that role. I know, I used to do it. You also learn heaps.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, Mar 29, 2008
    #8
  9. Dave Taylor wrote:
    > Bobs <> wrote in news:47ed5939$1
    > @news.orcon.net.nz:
    >
    >> Ahhh...the ye olde Service Desk. Worst job in the entire IT field.
    >> Pretty much a toilet really...where you just get shit on all day.
    >> Internal ones aren't any better sorry. Desktop Support fucks something
    >> up? You cop it from the customer. 3rd tier support fucks up? You cop it
    >> from the customer. Bug in a program beyond your control? You cop it from
    >> the customer. User error? You cop it from the customer. Hardware
    >> failure? Yes, you cop it from the customer.
    >>
    >> You're pretty much there to be yelled at.

    >
    > If you go into that type of job with that attitude you burn out in weeks.
    > It can be rewarding when you get to fix things and train the user so they
    > know why things happen and how they can fix with your help. You can be an
    > enabler in that role. I know, I used to do it. You also learn heaps.
    >


    Service Desk, My best people. Perhaps not as highly technical as the
    engineers but valuable to us and we protect them from management and end
    users, we stand no shit being given to them and as a result they
    co-operate with us, we get the right detail in the call we get good
    background data from them and it makes us "The Field Engineering Team"
    very happy.

    This unfortunately is not the norm for SD and it is true it is the
    bottom of the IT food chain and lowly paid. We have a reasonably high
    turn over in staff on SD not because they have it hard or are lowly
    paid, but because like most SDs there is no internal career path and so
    to get ahead they have to leave and go elsewhere as there skill level
    increases.

    All power to the SD and swear at one of mine and the engineers will be
    round to see you waving a big stick.
     
    Collector€NZ, Mar 29, 2008
    #9
  10. thingy

    seanmd3

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    hello thanks for the information you have provided. i will forward you my Cv. also if anyone is interested there are a lot more forums and blogs on it service on the web. it will be greatly helpful for people looking to work in companies providing it services
     
    seanmd3, Jul 27, 2011
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.

Share This Page